How many more signing do we need champership winning side

B4ev6is

I admire those with the glass half full attitude that we could be league 1 champions this season. However I am a Mr. Glass half empty! ?? so it doesn’t sit awfully well with me.  I prefer to look at things on a scale of small wins from where we were a few weeks back.

My thoughts initially turn to be grateful to have a club and season tickets for me, my lad and Dad.  Then after that the fact that  we’ve been able to retain some key players and recruit some surprisingly good ones - enough for us to be able to compete, and have some pride in seeing a Derby team turn out.  A win for me this Season would be a solid upper mid table finish, and financial stability.

If things go well - particularly if we can keep the injuries to a minimum, a play off place is a possibility with the players we have IMHO, this level of success would require the team to gel quickly and effectively.

I really do hope that we re-sign Fozzy he will make a big contribution as I think he still has a lot to give especially at league 1 level, and I agree that we are short of a couple of full backs.

Andrew

9 hours ago, David said:

I hear you, those that went down and finished on 65 points were in a far better position than we were and not always bounced straight back up though.

I have this horrible nagging feeling that it won’t be as easy as some think, and that we could be down here for 2/3 seasons before looking like genuine promotion candidates.

The quality we have added in this window is impressive, but as we know, it’s about building a team and with so many new faces around, we can’t expect that to happen overnight.

Without the points deduction last season we would have stayed up. Wigan (19/20) and Portsmouth (11/12) are the only other sides in the history of the Championship/2nd division to have been relegated whilst earning more points than three other teams in the league. Both of those sides had to more or less start from scratch in L1. You could therefore argue, last season we had one of the best (if not the best) squads to get relegated. We have lost quite a few players, so have they been replaced?

Allsop         vs      TBA
Roos           vs      Wildsmith
Marshall     vs      Loach
Byrne         vs      TBA
Jagielka     vs      Chester
Buchanan  vs      Roberts
Shinnie       vs      TBA (McDonald)
Ravel          vs      Hourihane
Jozwiak     vs      Barkhuizen
Festy          vs     Mendez-Laing
Ebiowei      vs     TBA
Lawrence   vs     TBA
Plange        vs     Collins
Kazim         vs     McGoldrick
Baldock      vs     Stretton

Aside from not yet replacing Allsop, Byrne, Ebiowei and Lawrence, we're more or less on a similar footing to the start of last season. Maybe slightly weaker in a couple of positions, but undoubtedly better up front.

As you rightly point out, it's not just about ability but how well they gel together. A big part of the recruitment has been about signing those who have played with someone else in the squad. McGoldrick has played with Stearman and Hourihane. Hourihane also played with Chester. Chester with Davies (both with Rosenior). Rosenior coached Roberts. Pearcey knows Wildsmith very well.
The others (Loach, Barkuizen, Mendez-Laing and Collins) have a lot of experience in the lower leagues and will adapt to L1 football quickly

2 hours ago, Dimmu said:

This one I'm not that sure about. Union Berlin signed around 20 players last season and the final posiion were fifth, just one point from the Champions League spot.

So, with the correct use of sport psychology, quick team building is possible.

Plus lots of the players know each other already, when you read Collins (I think) interview.

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Plus lots of the players know each other already, when you read Collins (I think) interview.

Yep, Collins knows Stearman, Hourihane, McGoldrick, Knight and Mendez-Laing.
There’s a strategy here beyond us just signing “old heads”. Most of the signings so far have had some links to the squad or staff in the past as well as experience of competing for promotions. The know-how they bring alongside the likes of Davies and Stearman will be key, and those existing relationships will help the squad to gel. Add in the technical ability of the younger lads we’ve retained and the fact they have all experienced a good level of football at a young age and you can see reasons for some (grounded) optimism ? 

We are currently dangerously weak at full back - on paper Forsyth and Byrne would be fine and hopefully Forsyth will sign up and stay whilst Byrne can easily be re introduced into the squad if he doesn’t get the move his agent has told him he could get him.

2 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

We are currently dangerously weak at full back - on paper Forsyth and Byrne would be fine and hopefully Forsyth will sign up and stay whilst Byrne can easily be re introduced into the squad if he doesn’t get the move his agent has told him he could get him.

Byrne is gone. No contract. Fans wouldn't want him back and I doubt the players would welcome him back either.

3 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Byrne is gone. No contract. Fans wouldn't want him back and I doubt the players would welcome him back either.

I fully expect him to be gone but until he signs elsewhere we hold his registration and we need a good right back 

55 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Without the points deduction last season we would have stayed up. Wigan (19/20) and Portsmouth (11/12) are the only other sides in the history of the Championship/2nd division to have been relegated whilst earning more points than three other teams in the league. Both of those sides had to more or less start from scratch in L1. You could therefore argue, last season we had one of the best (if not the best) squads to get relegated. We have lost quite a few players, so have they been replaced?

Allsop         vs      TBA
Roos           vs      Wildsmith
Marshall     vs      Loach
Byrne         vs      TBA
Jagielka     vs      Chester
Buchanan  vs      Roberts
Shinnie       vs      TBA (McDonald)
Ravel          vs      Hourihane
Jozwiak     vs      Barkhuizen
Festy          vs     Mendez-Laing
Ebiowei      vs     TBA
Lawrence   vs     TBA
Plange        vs     Collins
Kazim         vs     McGoldrick
Baldock      vs     Stretton

Aside from not yet replacing Allsop, Byrne, Ebiowei and Lawrence, we're more or less on a similar footing to the start of last season. Maybe slightly weaker in a couple of positions, but undoubtedly better up front.

As you rightly point out, it's not just about ability but how well they gel together. A big part of the recruitment has been about signing those who have played with someone else in the squad. McGoldrick has played with Stearman and Hourihane. Hourihane also played with Chester. Chester with Davies (both with Rosenior). Rosenior coached Roberts. Pearcey knows Wildsmith very well.
The others (Loach, Barkuizen, Mendez-Laing and Collins) have a lot of experience in the lower leagues and will adapt to L1 football quickly

A good analysis…

9 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

I fully expect him to be gone but until he signs elsewhere we hold his registration and we need a good right back 

But that could be more disruptive to the team ethos than what he is worth?

2 hours ago, angieram said:

However, I don't think the signings we have made are with a view to a slow build, they look like they are a full tilt to get straight back up in one season.

So, I am now expecting us to go for it! Will we be good/streetwise enough? 

Yes/maybe.

Spot on, All players that have been signed will/would have asked what's the plan?, Who'll be next through the door?, They're not here to consolidate, They're here to get at least in the top 6, If we go up then I'd hazard a guess there's contract bonuses/wage rises for all.

It's been a loooong while since I've been looking forward to a new season, 2 full backs(Fozzy)and maybe another keeper and this group of players could well pull it off at the 1st attempt ?‍♀️ 

4 hours ago, Andrew1 said:

I admire those with the glass half full attitude that we could be league 1 champions this season. However I am a Mr. Glass half empty! ?? so it doesn’t sit awfully well with me.  I prefer to look at things on a scale of small wins from where we were a few weeks back.

My thoughts initially turn to be grateful to have a club and season tickets for me, my lad and Dad.  Then after that the fact that  we’ve been able to retain some key players and recruit some surprisingly good ones - enough for us to be able to compete, and have some pride in seeing a Derby team turn out.  A win for me this Season would be a solid upper mid table finish, and financial stability.

If things go well - particularly if we can keep the injuries to a minimum, a play off place is a possibility with the players we have IMHO, this level of success would require the team to gel quickly and effectively.

I really do hope that we re-sign Fozzy he will make a big contribution as I think he still has a lot to give especially at league 1 level, and I agree that we are short of a couple of full backs.

Andrew

spot on mate , good post

45 minutes ago, Oldben said:

It's only based on Transfermkt, and the EFL told us that's not reliable enough to base player values off ?

Knight, Bielik, Bird and Sibley are valued at £14.4m.
Hourihane, Mendez-Laing, Barkhuizen and McGoldrick are £5.4m