Away Memberships

Day

16 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I remember with great fondness the 68/69 season when we won Division 2 under Cloughie - we smashed attendance record after attendance record that season (over 20,000 of us went to Villa Park). It was a brilliant time, with every game being like a party attended by thousands.

I remember the season after going  to Sheffield Wednesday in a whole convoy of double decker Trent  busses travelling down the motorway.

5 hours ago, Foreveram said:

It’s not an argument, cup games don’t count, period.

I found out way that is I spoke to some aflton town friendly who works in the ticket office she said to me and my dad that to many people would have done 20 plus away games that's why cup games no longer counts but I did say to her that's not really fair but like she said to me she dont make the rules.

11 minutes ago, B4ev6is said:

I found out way that is I spoke to some aflton town friendly who works in the ticket office she said to me and my dad that to many people would have done 20 plus away games that's why cup games no longer counts but I did say to her that's not really fair but like she said to me she dont make the rules.

Just make it 22 + then??‍♂️. Anyway the rules are set now.

9 hours ago, B4ev6is said:

She’s obviously doesn’t know what she’s talking about. As @Foreveramsays, they could have just increased the minimum for each priority group. 

I think, rightly or wrongly, it’s because they want to reward the folk that went to the bread and butter league games. In any event, it is what it is and not really worthy of further debate whether we think it’s fair or not.

In due course, it would be interesting to know if anyone who has a Membership and 5 or more games to their credit missed out on a ticket when they wanted one. That'd be a useful guide to whether the policy has been fair or not. 

The club may have to amend it slightly anyway, because how can anyone build up credits this season to qualify for one of the priority groups if they can't get hold of tickets? Support shouldn't be a closed shop, so maybe a ballot system for perhaps 20% of all tickets where the allocation is below, say, 2000 would be worth considering. 

Looking at the sales so far for for the periods where Away members with 5 plus games can buy, then I suspect that for most games those with 5 plus who want to go to a particular away game will generally be able to acquire a ticket , a couple of the smaller allocation games maybe tight ( Cheltenham  for example) 

14 minutes ago, Crewton said:

In due course, it would be interesting to know if anyone who has a Membership and 5 or more games to their credit missed out on a ticket when they wanted one. That'd be a useful guide to whether the policy has been fair or not. 

The club may have to amend it slightly anyway, because how can anyone build up credits this season to qualify for one of the priority groups if they can't get hold of tickets? Support shouldn't be a closed shop, so maybe a ballot system for perhaps 20% of all tickets where the allocation is below, say, 2000 would be worth considering. 

They could go to Charlton for a start, there are tickets still available. Barnsley, Sheffield Wednesday, Oxford, Bolton Wanderers, Portsmouth, MK dons and  Port vale all have capacities bigger than our membership numbers as well as possibly Plymouth, Accrington Stanley, Cambridge and Wycombe. That’s 12 games for a start.

1 minute ago, Foreveram said:

They could go to Charlton for a start, there are tickets still available. Barnsley, Sheffield Wednesday, Oxford, Bolton Wanderers, Portsmouth, MK dons and  Port vale all have capacities bigger than our membership numbers as well as possibly Plymouth, Accrington Stanley, Cambridge and Wycombe. That’s 12 games for a start.

I take your point on most of those (not sure about numbers for some you've quoted though) and it's great for people who's lifestyle allows them to attend allot of away games, but I'm just a bit wary of the club making going to away games a closed shop for those with the commitment and circumstances to attend them regularly. 

How long did they have to put this scheme in place after acquiring the club? 10 minutes? Generally think they did brilliantly to get as much sorted as they did so quickly. Whatever system you chose some will be the wrong side of a cut off - that's just life. In David Clowes' interview he said most definitely that they will listen so it is what it is for now but anyone having difficulties should just build up a record of the issues from being in certain bandings or this system generally to submit to the club. I am sure they would welcome constructive feedback now. Sharing on here which band you're in and whether you got tickets will be really useful to everyone though

6 minutes ago, Crewton said:

I take your point on most of those (not sure about numbers for some you've quoted though) and it's great for people who's lifestyle allows them to attend allot of away games, but I'm just a bit wary of the club making going to away games a closed shop for those with the commitment and circumstances to attend them regularly. 

It’s not the new club owners fault that we’re going to smaller grounds, there has to be some way of dishing out tickets, and it wouldn’t be at all fair on someone who goes to most away games to miss out to someone who rarely goes. There’s no easy way of saying it’s hard luck if you fancy a day out at Forest Green.

Edited by curb

44 minutes ago, Crewton said:

How would it prove if it’s been fair or not? If such a person tried but failed to get a ticket for one of the games with very limited availability it probably just meant people that went to more games last season got priority over them. That doesn’t feel unfair to me (for the record, I’m way down the priority order but would like to go to some of the small grounds this season. So I’m certainly not in the “I’m alright Jack” category).

Clearly there is no perfect system that would satisfy everyone least of all a ballot. You could end up with someone just fancying attending their first away game getting a ticket whilst someone else who went to numerous away games last season missing out. How would that be fair?

49 minutes ago, Crewton said:

It’s not a closed shop though, Charlton tickets are still on sale to anyone with a customer number, you don’t even have to be an away member . Out of interest which numbers are you disputing, the information is all out there but does change over time for instance the red dogs have given 2,000 tickets for years but because of PL rules they now have to give 3,000. Some clubs can up their capacity when required, MK dons and Portsmouth for example.

20 minutes ago, Mick Brolly said:

They might use a different method next season so it might not matter how many you go to this season 

I would very much doubt it.

Do people who are complaining realise the commitment these people who go to 15 or 20+ away games in season?

Especially last season when they got very few results for their efforts.

The cost is massive, for me and my lad to go to an away game you’re looking at something between £100-250, hotels, train fares, fuel, food and drinks etc., but time commitments as well, you’ve got to make it your priority above virtually everything else in your life.

Blackburn away on a Tuesday night when we’ve lost however many away games on the trot takes massive commitment.

id gladly give up my ticket if I got one and someone in the 15-20+ bracket didn’t.

32 minutes ago, curb said:

I would very much doubt it.

Do people who are complaining realise the commitment these people who go to 15 or 20+ away games in season?

Especially last season when they got very few results for their efforts.

The cost is massive, for me and my lad to go to an away game you’re looking at something between £100-250, hotels, train fares, fuel, food and drinks etc., but time commitments as well, you’ve got to make it your priority above virtually everything else in your life.

Blackburn away on a Tuesday night when we’ve lost however many away games on the trot takes massive commitment.

id gladly give up my ticket if I got one and someone in the 15-20+ bracket didn’t.

Not to mention Cardiff away  rearranged midweek match in the pouring rain when you are expected to lose, and do.

3 hours ago, curb said:

It’s not the new club owners fault that we’re going to smaller grounds, there has to be some way of dishing out tickets, and it wouldn’t be at all fair on someone who goes to most away games to miss out to someone who rarely goes. There’s no easy way of saying it’s hard luck if you fancy a day out at Forest Green.

I'm not blaming the new owner. Does it even look like I'm complaining? I've claimed no preferential treatment whatsoever. I'm simply suggesting that changes might be worth thinking about for next season that perhaps simplify the priority system, give opportunity for a small % of occasional away travellers to get to some of the smaller grounds, and possibly allow all fans to plan their journeys and/or stopovers with greater certainty and more economically. 

Is that controversial? 

3 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

How would it prove if it’s been fair or not? If such a person tried but failed to get a ticket for one of the games with very limited availability it probably just meant people that went to more games last season got priority over them. That doesn’t feel unfair to me (for the record, I’m way down the priority order but would like to go to some of the small grounds this season. So I’m certainly not in the “I’m alright Jack” category).

Clearly there is no perfect system that would satisfy everyone least of all a ballot. You could end up with someone just fancying attending their first away game getting a ticket whilst someone else who went to numerous away games last season missing out. How would that be fair?

Well, B4, for one, doesn't think it's fair, but if he promises to stop moaning about it, I'll promise to stop suggesting ways it might be improved for all ?

2 hours ago, Foreveram said:

It’s not a closed shop though, Charlton tickets are still on sale to anyone with a customer number, you don’t even have to be an away member . Out of interest which numbers are you disputing, the information is all out there but does change over time for instance the red dogs have given 2,000 tickets for years but because of PL rules they now have to give 3,000. Some clubs can up their capacity when required, MK dons and Portsmouth for example.

I was thinking that allocations for the likes of Oxford, Wycombe, Accrington etc might be relatively small, but I don't know for sure.