Ramathon 22 - 19th June 2022 & general jogging chat

I'm also very happy with how it went, cutting my time from 2.27 to 2.17 - a full 10 minutes faster.

I think getting from 2.17 to 2.07 however is going to be a lot harder.

But it was good to see the training effort come to fruition.

Well done to everyone who ran it, there's more than 800 did it better than me, so still scope to improve.

See you all next year?

DCFCFans team?

10 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I'm also very happy with how it went, cutting my time from 2.27 to 2.17 - a full 10 minutes faster.

I think getting from 2.17 to 2.07 however is going to be a lot harder.

But it was good to see the training effort come to fruition.

Well done to everyone who ran it, there's more than 800 did it better than me, so still scope to improve.

See you all next year?

DCFCFans team?

That’s a massive improvement. Well done!

5 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

That’s a massive improvement. Well done!

Thank you.

I think not wearing a pig fancy dress outfit helped as well. But I'm really happy with today's effort.

Still chipping away towards 30 min 5k, 1hr 10k and 2.10 HM - might do a marathon next year but it's commitment to the training for that help me back this year.

Feeling good, except for when I actually move right now...

12 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Thank you.

I think not wearing a pig fancy dress outfit helped as well. But I'm really happy with today's effort.

Still chipping away towards 30 min 5k, 1hr 10k and 2.10 HM - might do a marathon next year but it's commitment to the training for that help me back this year.

Feeling good, except for when I actually move right now...

I popped a couple of ibroprufen before I set off, and it did the trick for my shin splints. I didn’t feel much pain at al til after I finished. But I was no use to anybody in the afternoon, my legs are in bits now. 

3 hours ago, Ramrob said:

Well done to the Rams who completed this year's Ramathon ?

I live in Suffolk and am running my first half marathon in September. I run the occasional 5 & 10k so reasonably fit, but would appreciate any advice on training for 21k!

Any good training apps or general do and don'ts?

Cheers ?

https://www.runnersworld.com/uk/training/half-marathon/a25887045/beginner-half-marathon-training-schedule/

I followed this regime in November, and again now, and it worked really well for me. 

tapering is important. Build up to a long run a couple of weeks before, then start reducing the distances for the last couple of weeks. 

It’s tempting to just do the distance to see if you can. It’s a bit scary just leaving it til in the day to run it for the first time, and I did give in to that temptation on my first half. But all the advice says you shouldn’t. 

I'd say a few of the good tips I had were:

Everyone is different, so don't stick religiously to a plan.

80% of your training should be "easy" relaxed jogging with 20% hard running.

Do 1 "long" run a week and gradually build up the distance. Yes you'll need to do more regular milage than for a 10k but nothing insane.

Taper off before the event.

Running consistently is the best way to improve - it's that regularly going and plodding out the miles that gets you there.

Don't pressure yourself.

Don't try to run through injury - rest it and let your body heal.

I can recommend a book called "the runners repair manual" that has good advice on injury prevention.

And enjoy it.

On 21/06/2022 at 11:07, RadioactiveWaste said:

I'd say a few of the good tips I had were:

Everyone is different, so don't stick religiously to a plan.

80% of your training should be "easy" relaxed jogging with 20% hard running.

Do 1 "long" run a week and gradually build up the distance. Yes you'll need to do more regular milage than for a 10k but nothing insane.

Taper off before the event.

Running consistently is the best way to improve - it's that regularly going and plodding out the miles that gets you there.

Don't pressure yourself.

Don't try to run through injury - rest it and let your body heal.

I can recommend a book called "the runners repair manual" that has good advice on injury prevention.

And enjoy it.

I've done a dozen full marathons over the years, and far more half marathons.Can't run any more, broke my leg falling down stairs and it wasn't set very well. Also, Im 82 now, which doesn't help!

All that advice is excellent, although I probably did 90/10 slow/fast, but probably on account of taking the marathons seriously. I would just add:

Don't skimp on your running shoes, go to a reputable shop where they give you knowlegeable advice, so that excludes JB sports, Sports Direct etc unless you're extremely lucky.

Don't buy a pair of running shoes on the basis that the bloke who broke 2 hours for the (full) marathon wears them, or they're a pretty colour (ladies).

Don't wear brand new kit on the day of the event, break it in. An irritating nylon thread can be quite painful after a few miles

Don't fall down stairs(!). Seriously.

When I ordered my copy of the runners repair manual, the girl in WH Smith's thought it was about cars!

Good luck.

30 minutes ago, Phoenix said:

I've done a dozen full marathons over the years, and far more half marathons.Can't run any more, broke my leg falling down stairs and it wasn't set very well. Also, Im 82 now, which doesn't help!

All that advice is excellent, although I probably did 90/10 slow/fast, but probably on account of taking the marathons seriously. I would just add:

Don't skimp on your running shoes, go to a reputable shop where they give you knowlegeable advice, so that excludes JB sports, Sports Direct etc unless you're extremely lucky.

Don't buy a pair of running shoes on the basis that the bloke who broke 2 hours for the (full) marathon wears them, or they're a pretty colour (ladies).

Don't wear brand new kit on the day of the event, break it in. An irritating nylon thread can be quite painful after a few miles

When I ordered my copy of the runners repair manual, the girl in WH Smith's thought it was about cars!

Good luck.

Yes 100% on the shoes and kit.

I got my shoes at Run 4 It (Glasgow) and had some great service and advice.

5 hours ago, Phoenix said:

Good luck.

The derby runner is a great store for shoes. I went there, they offered me a pair, I’m like, yeah but blue really isn’t my colour, can I not have those snazzy orange ones, but then tried them on, and oh my god it was like walking on clouds. Got me on the treadmill to test my gait, etc. and my times instantly went up. 

it’s amazing how when you go from 10km to 10 mile and beyond little things do start to rub or hurt a bit more. I get wicked thigh chaffage after 10km, so after a bit of experimentation I’ve found the right combination of pants and shorts. But again, proper running shorts, with twin skins are a winner. 

and after my first half marathon, I realised plaster over my nipples is a good idea. 

the kit can add up a bit, but it’s still a boat load cheaper than cycling, or pretty much any other sport.

In fact, I was just able to pick a load of top end kit for next to nothing. Loughborough university are selling off their spare team gb kit for a fiver a piece for charity. Some nice kit in there. 

8 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

The derby runner is a great store for shoes. I went there, they offered me a pair, I’m like, yeah but blue really isn’t my colour, can I not have those snazzy orange ones, but then tried them on, and oh my god it was like walking on clouds. Got me on the treadmill to test my gait, etc. and my times instantly went up. 

it’s amazing how when you go from 10km to 10 mile and beyond little things do start to rub or hurt a bit more. I get wicked thigh chaffage after 10km, so after a bit of experimentation I’ve found the right combination of pants and shorts. But again, proper running shorts, with twin skins are a winner. 

and after my first half marathon, I realised plaster over my nipples is a good idea. 

the kit can add up a bit, but it’s still a boat load cheaper than cycling, or pretty much any other sport.

In fact, I was just able to pick a load of top end kit for next to nothing. Loughborough university are selling off their spare team gb kit for a fiver a piece for charity. Some nice kit in there. 

Again, pearls of wisdom, every word. Plaster over the nipples is essential, especially if your vest's a synthetic material. Any ladies reading this, a properly fitted sports bra is an absolute must (so I'm told).

Another thing I discovered (although maybe outdated due to modern developments) is to turn the socks inside out so that the seam doesn't take all the skin off your toes. Extremely painful.

I got my 1st pair of 'proper' running shoes from L'bro Uni, Adidas,  like running with hardboard soles! Never again. Comfort is key to distance running, it's challenging enough without the extraneous pain.

• 3 weeks later...

So i ran a half marathon with no real issues, survived a weekend of adventure training this weekend, hill walking, caving and mountain biking. Then yesterday went to sports day and took part in the dads race, barely a 50m sprint, and strained my hamstring. 

im pretty sure it’s a strain based on what I’ve read on the internet. It’s a common injury from a sprint, and apparently a really common injury from sports days. 

Im worried that I’m going to struggle to keep my fitness up while I’m hobbling about though. 

Currently I’ve got my leg up on the couch, my thigh wrapped in ice, and dosed up with ibroprufen. 

Any other tips to speed recovery, or exercise despite the injury?

8 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

So i ran a half marathon with no real issues, survived a weekend of adventure training this weekend, hill walking, caving and mountain biking. Then yesterday went to sports day and took part in the dads race, barely a 50m sprint, and strained my hamstring. 

im pretty sure it’s a strain based on what I’ve read on the internet. It’s a common injury from a sprint, and apparently a really common injury from sports days. 

Im worried that I’m going to struggle to keep my fitness up while I’m hobbling about though. 

Currently I’ve got my leg up on the couch, my thigh wrapped in ice, and dosed up with ibroprufen. 

For myself, ice and rest and when you think that you are right to go give it a extra week.

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/07/2022 at 10:20, TigerTedd said:

Sorry, I hadn't checked in on this thread in ages.

I'd suggest reference to your copy of the runner's repair manual or a quick search of YouTube for hamstring strengthening exercises.

Which is all a bit rich considering I pig headedly knackered my right flag by keeping going on something that was clearly getting worse in the weeks leading up to the Ramathon.

I've started again though and meeting my running group for the first time in ages tonight. Prey for me.

6 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Sorry, I hadn't checked in on this thread in ages.

I'd suggest reference to your copy of the runner's repair manual or a quick search of YouTube for hamstring strengthening exercises.

Which is all a bit rich considering I pig headedly knackered my right flag by keeping going on something that was clearly getting worse in the weeks leading up to the Ramathon.

I've started again though and meeting my running group for the first time in ages tonight. Prey for me.

I haven’t really stopped at all. And had a hard sports weekend with the army last weekend. Came back with a twisted ankle, a strained calf, a bruised knee and my hamstring 100 times worse. I’m honestly terrified of stopping though, for how far back it might set me.