Ramathon 22 - 19th June 2022 & general jogging chat

7 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Enjoyed it so much last time I've signed up to do it again.

Is anyone else doing it?

Hoping to go under 2hrs20 this year. Managed 2hrs27 in November.

Now I’m not saying I enjoyed it, I did declare that would be the last bit of distance running I ever do, but a friend is doing it for the first time, and has cajoled me into doing it with her. 

Training started this week. I haven’t actually ran since the last one in November, so I’m quite pleased I can still do a sub 30 min 5km. 

7 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Under 30 minute 5k is one ofy goals this year. But I'm pretty porky.

I’ve grown a proper belly since last November. I’m hoping by April, I will have shed a bit. I should probably stop scoffing supersized bags of crisps and McDonald’s breakfasts (he says nipping out to get a McDonald’s breakfast). 

something that I think has helped recently is that instead of running I’ve been doing fairly long walks with a 35kg back pack. It’s training for a new fitness test in the army. Now I’m just running, I feel light as a feather. 

I wish I was one of those people who enjoyed running as a way to clear your head. I really don’t enjoy it. I just do it cos I feel I have to. Maybe I’m too competitive with myself and always want to go faster, I can’t just go for a slow jog for the fun of it. 

like I wish I was the kind of person that could look at a menu with pizzas and burgers on and go ‘mmm, I really fancy the salad actually.’

im envious of those people. 

2 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

I wish I was one of those people who enjoyed running as a way to clear your head. I really don’t enjoy it. I just do it cos I feel I have to. Maybe I’m too competitive with myself and always want to go faster, I can’t just go for a slow jog for the fun of it. 

like I wish I was the kind of person that could look at a menu with pizzas and burgers on and go ‘mmm, I really fancy the salad actually.’

im envious of those people. 

It takes me about 2 months after a break from it to actually feel good from it at all. I frequently don't persist to that tipping point of feeling the benefit, anothe binge of all the bad things, another round of forcing myself.

2 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

Just did the Derby 10k from Pride Park under an hour which was good for me....

Picsart_22-04-10_12-07-28-262.jpg

It’s amazing how much faster you can go with people around you and a crowd cheering on.

I struggle to beat an hour when I’m just doing 10k on my own, but when I do a 10k park run or event, I go a lot faster. 

my fastest ever 5k was the Hilton 5k when I got less than 25 mins. I’ve never come anywhere near that since. 

4 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

It’s amazing how much faster you can go with people around you and a crowd cheering on.

I struggle to beat an hour when I’m just doing 10k on my own, but when I do a 10k park run or event, I go a lot faster. 

my fastest ever 5k was the Hilton 5k when I got less than 25 mins. I’ve never come anywhere near that since. 

Yes exactly the same for me have really struggled to run 10k on my own when am out in training yet today was a breeze tbf......its definitely the people running with you that spurs you on....the course today was pretty flat but even so was mentally pretty comfortable 

1 hour ago, Tyler Durden said:

Yes exactly the same for me have really struggled to run 10k on my own when am out in training yet today was a breeze tbf......its definitely the people running with you that spurs you on....the course today was pretty flat but even so was mentally pretty comfortable 

On that 5km I think it was the lady just in front of me that i was determined to overtake in the last km that got my good time for me. Took her in the last 10m. Booyah. Ran backwards sticking my tongue out at her as I crossed the line. No camaraderie here, every man for himself. 

We'll on your 10k everyone who went.

I got a course pb on my local parkrun on Saturday which I'm pleased with. Under 32 minutes and chipping away towards the 30 minute level. Our one is a hilly course (excuses excuses).

In other news, I gave in a brought myself a Garmin forerunner 45 the other week because I was fed up of using my phone in a holder. So far I like it.

• 2 months later...
11 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Is everyone ready for tomorrow?

Won't be too warm and hopegully the rain stays off.

I’d rather it be rainy than as warm as yesterday. When I heard talk of a heatwave I was worried we’d all be going man down with heat injuries. But then I remembered that summer in England only lasts for 3 days if we’re lucky. 

5 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

I’d rather it be rainy than as warm as yesterday. When I heard talk of a heatwave I was worried we’d all be going man down with heat injuries. But then I remembered that summer in England only lasts for 3 days if we’re lucky. 

Oh yes, I'd take rain over 30 degree heat.

Does depend on how much rain of course, I did a race in February that was ridiculous (also didn't think I did too bad, checked the times, every single person behind me 60+, 70+, 80+!)

8 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

What else would you want to do on your Sunday morning?

Well. Have a lie in, but that’s impossible when your body clocks programmed for getting up early in the week.  I did take up cross country running in the late 90’s and looking back I can’t believe I used to run the distances I did without stopping to swallow my lungs back down my throat.

Trouble is, being in my trade knackers your knees. The last time I tried jogging around the block I was in agony after about 3/4 of a mile.

All fun aside, I wish I could do what you’re doing, I guess I’m a bit envious really.