Time to ditch the messing about with it at the back?

Jimbo Ram

26 minutes ago, Crewton said:

The flaw in the tactic isn't the outfield players so much as the keeper. Allsop needs to become a better judge of when it's appropriate to play out. He's too fond of wall passes to a player who has an opponent breathing down his neck. He also needs reminding that he's not Manuel Nauer. 

He is normally pretty decent with his feet, but every few games he convinces himself he's Beckenbauer!

If we'd got one of their CB's sent off in similar fashion we'd have been praising our midfield for pressing so quickly.

They'd done their homework but when we see we're getting pressed so quickly (we'd already mucked around about 3 times in the first 2 minutes) we should change tack and go longer - but without Fozzy or CKR we seem to have no appetite for an out ball.

Strangely enjoyable. Thought Huddersfield were decent and impressed with their work rate so we did massively well to hold out and essentially lose to a fluke.

For once it wasn't a quiet, sombre drive back......very proud of the team and support was immense.

I don’t mind the short passing at the back as long as it draws the opposition into positions we want them in and we then play more progressive football in the space.

However, when the tippy tappy ends with Allsopp launching it to the opposition centre half whilst our midgets watch on, I don’t see the point. Might as well have done that in the first place. 

We are so much better when we play the ball on the ground at pace. We use Allsopp like he’s some kind of quarter back expertly picking out a pass. He’s not.

Let him create space for the full backs so they can pick out a midfielder who is paid for their passing ability.

For those saying we ditch this style of play, what’s the alternative? Without Forsyth coming in off the left, and CKR injured, who is our target for an immediate long ball? We have to persevere with it, it’s the style we base our entire shape upon (CMs deep, full backs wide, wingers more central).

In the case of the goal, it’s three mini mistakes- Alsopp probably chooses the wrong out ball (Byrne was in far more space and was probably the better option), Thommo gets a bit caught in two minds, Stearman thinks he can make the challenge whereas (in hindsight) staying on his feet is probably the better option. It’s just one of those.

There often comes a point at which the opposition press us well, and the only remaining option is to go long. This is NOT the same as just having punted it long in the first place. If they have pressed that high, you get the ball in behind 4 or 5 of their players, and if Plange/whoever wins the first or second ball, there’s more space to get it down and play towards goal. What’s more, their front players have put three or four short sprints into their legs, which they can’t maintain at such high intensity for 90 minutes.

Playing devil’s advocate, in the first 5-10 mins of an away game (particularly against a high energy team like Town) I wouldn’t mind the point at which we choose to hoof to come slightly earlier- just to take the pressure off.

Keep the faith. In Rooney we trust.

After only 3 mins Thompson received a "hospital" pass through, messing about at the back, and he lost it. There forward Ward had a "one on one" on goal and Stearman had to make that lunge which resulted in a red card.

We should mix up playing out, with long balls and not be so predictable so easy for teams to press us and cause problems ....certainly did last night. 

4 minutes ago, Grumpy Git said:

I've only been to a hand-full of games this season and NEVER EVER have I seen the opposition fart around at the back like we do. It's completely infuriating and bonkers in my eyes.

Yeah we should just lump it forward to the big men up top.