US VISAs and Business Incorporation

DarkFruitsRam7

Hi all,

I'm looking for a bit of advice.

When I finish uni in the summer, the plan is to head over to the States to launch the American arm of the business I currently work for. This will involve setting up a new company to account for new shareholders.

My biggest problem at the minute is finding information about what kind of VISA I'll need, considering I'll be an immigrant moving to the States for the explicit purpose of setting up a new company there. There's lots of information online but I haven't found anything for my particular situation.

If anyone knows anything about this, or can put me in touch with someone who might, it would be massively appreciated.

Edited by DarkFruitsRam7

12 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Hi all,

When I finish uni in the summer, the plan is to head over to the States to launch the American arm of the business I currently work for. This will involve setting up a new company to account for new shareholders.

My biggest problem at the minute is finding information about what kind of VISA I'll need, considering I'll be an immigrant moving to the States for the explicit purpose of setting up a new company there. There's lots of information online but I haven't found anything for my particular situation.

If anyone knows anything about this, or can put me in touch with someone who might, it would be massively appreciated.

Wouldn’t you have to have a job to go to in the states first?  

23 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Hi all,

I've spoke to my wife, who works for an American company here, and organises Visa applications both ways. 

It's your employer who applies for a work permit, apparently the US Embassy website is a useful resource, as I'm sure you're aware. 

Sorry I can't be more helpful.

6 minutes ago, Rev said:

I've spoke to my wife, who works for an American company here, and organises Visa applications both ways. 

It's your employer who applies for a work permit, apparently the US Embassy website is a useful resource, as I'm sure you're aware. 

Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Thanks, but it technically won’t be for my employer. It’s going to be a new company in which I’m a shareholder.

1 hour ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Hi all,

From experience you need to be sponsored by your organisation. You’ll need a Visa (B1 at least I believe or at least it used to be) which your organisation needs to apply to the US embassy stating they can’t match your qualifications/skills/experience/SM knowledge with US based workers. You’ll then need to attend the US embassy in London for an interview and surrender your passport while all checks are done. Your Visa will be for about 3 years before the news to renew. This is what I remember from the process I went through over 10 years ago, so may have changed. However without sponsorship I’m not sure how you’ll qualify. 

16 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

From experience you need to be sponsored by your organisation. You’ll need a Visa (B1 at least I believe or at least it used to be) which your organisation needs to apply to the US embassy stating they can’t match your qualifications/skills/experience/SM knowledge with US based workers. You’ll then need to attend the US embassy in London for an interview and surrender your passport while all checks are done. Your Visa will be for about 3 years before the news to renew. This is what I remember from the process I went through over 10 years ago, so may have changed. However without sponsorship I’m not sure how you’ll qualify. 

So you will need a job to go to first to then set up your new company as a side hustle I’d imagine?

1 minute ago, Boycie said:

So you will need a job to go to first to then set up your new company as a side hustle I’d imagine?

Might have to be the way we do it, but I'm sure there will be another way.

I'm going to call the US Embassy and see what they advise. I'd prefer to involve expensive lawyers as late as possible, if at all.

Just now, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Might have to be the way we do it, but I'm sure there will be another way.

I'm going to call the US Embassy and see what they advise. I'd prefer to involve expensive lawyers as late as possible, if at all.

Maybe I wish you all the best, and inform you that you will gain the term “plastic” from the moment you leave the runway.

Just now, Boycie said:

I guess so, I’m not sure how you could enter and develop a start up without having a sponsored job there 1st. Getting a SSN was a nightmare as it was even with a visa, without one I don’t know how you could, and a SSN is the key to everything over there. It was 10 years ago now when I went through the process so may have changed. However  knowing the states it may not have they are the most forward thinking Country believe it or not, living in Texas was like being back in the 80s. 

Isn't this the same as basically saying - I want to go and live in USA and be a self-employed Painter and Decorator?

You can't just move to another country - although you know that - but why would you be allowed to go and just set up a company in another country?

9 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Just be sure that you cannot be exposed as being involved in unamerican activities.

Cloudy apple juice is your cider now.

It's not chips it's freedom fries.

You foresake soccer and pledge allegiance to the National Football League.

Rather the NFL than the EFL.

5 hours ago, TexasRam said:

5 hours ago, Boycie said:

Think this will be my best bet (feel free not to read; I wouldn't):

https://uk.usembassy.gov/visas/treaty-trader-or-treaty-investor/treaty-investor-e-2/

I think it's an E-2, but I know they clamped down on those about 7 or 8 years ago in terms of making them much harder to get and hold on to. Some Brits were even scared to go back to the UK on holiday for fear of not getting back in again.

You won't get a visa to start up a new business without depositing some serious cash (7 figures I think) an/or showing you have the resources to hire locals from the get go. Half of the planet is trying to move there and starting a business unless it's something no American can do is not going to help you.

You need to hire an immigration lawyer though to be fair though, not asking on a football forum! If you can't afford to hire an expensive attorney you probably can't afford to go.