F1 2022

RadioactiveWaste

F1 beomcing increasingly like busses. No, not the cars being massive compared to what they were a few years ago, but you wait ages for Grand Prix and then three come along.

So, the lovely Zandvoort circuit returns as the Danny Ricciardo fans get their orange Mclaren gear on and fule up on orange flares to let off in support of the down on his luck australian. And a few Verstappen fans I suspect will be there as well.

With the season looking like it's almost run, with Red Bull set to take both titles, and the rest of the constructors standings probably not going to change (unless ferrari try really really hard to finish behind mercedes) it can seem a bit flat.

However, there is still plenty to look forward to at the Dutch grand prix.

How long will Alonso/Alpine pretend they're still friends?

How are Ferrari going to delight the tifosi with a new meme worthy moment?

Are we going to have happy Haas or grumpy Gunther?

Can Albon grab another point for the WIlliams (seriously, he's working wonders in a car that's clearly the worst on the grind)?

Who is going to make their case for the Alpine drive? Word on the tweets is it might be Gasly, which would then free up an AT seat for the next Red Bull young driver.

All this and more for the Dutch Grand Prix.

1 hour ago, Jubbs said:

Well, contract falling out apart, the dude had a very very good junior career and is well deserving of his chance. Hopefully he cuts the mustard.

The interesting one is Alpha Tauri assuming Gasly goes to Alpine. Do they bring in a red bull prospect or pick up Mick Schumacher?

And who goes to Haas? That one depends a bit on $$$$ and a bit on who Ferrari want. I'm sure Haas would love to get Zhou and his sweet sweet sponsorship dollars.

I think Ricciardo will go to Williams after a charm offensive that next year's car will be the one to break through to respectability. If you just won't do ovals you're limiting your natural American options.

1 hour ago, jono said:

Just for the historians amongst us. Today is the 100th anniversary of the famous Monza Autodrome. 

I still think they should bring back the full monza (lap of the circuit lap of the banking) - oh it'd be too dangerous! oh our fall apart modern tyres would explode! pah.

So, after FP3 it still looks like the track is bringing merc and ferrari back into it. We'll see of couse in qualifying I do expect Max to be in te mix for pole.

7 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I still think they should bring back the full monza (lap of the circuit lap of the banking) - oh it'd be too dangerous! oh our fall apart modern tyres would explode! pah.

So, after FP3 it still looks like the track is bringing merc and ferrari back into it. We'll see of couse in qualifying I do expect Max to be in te mix for pole.

I remember watching this one on black and white TV. Closest F1 race ever. ?

6ACF30F4-7333-421E-9B52-61494D6395E2.jpeg

Far too many races being 'won' in the pit lane. It's an unnecessary loophole that should have been closed after the last lap debacle that unfairly denied Hamilton an 8th title. And yet again, the Mercedes pit wall team have managed to completely undermine Hamilton's race, whilst artificially improving Russell's end position.

Toto can dress it up any way he chooses, but we've seen this same decision time and again this season. Frankly, it's a huge error in judgement, as to my eye, Hamilton is palpably quicker than his teammate, especially in race trim. Small wonder that Hamilton appears to be losing patience. 

Toto on why not pit Hamilton "because then we definitley finish 2nd and 3rd"

Toto on why not leave both out "because then both cars at risk"

Toto on why not pit both and let them both chase Max "Red Bull couldn't be caught on those fresh tyres"

.... Ok, so if point 3 is true then why is point 1 valid. You didn't want to settle for second or third but chose a tactic that cemented 2nd but left Hamilton exposed to Ferraris. 

2nd and 3rd sounds better than 2nd and 4th. 

Ferrari are amazing. So inventive. They're going to come 3rd aren't they?

2 hours ago, Alpha said:

Toto on why not pit Hamilton "because then we definitley finish 2nd and 3rd"

Toto on why not leave both out "because then both cars at risk"

Toto on why not pit both and let them both chase Max "Red Bull couldn't be caught on those fresh tyres"

.... Ok, so if point 3 is true then why is point 1 valid. You didn't want to settle for second or third but chose a tactic that cemented 2nd but left Hamilton exposed to Ferraris. 

2nd and 3rd sounds better than 2nd and 4th. 

Ferrari are amazing. So inventive. They're going to come 3rd aren't they?

Ferrari are almost nailed on to finish 3rd in the constructors championship with the car that's been either fastest or second fastest all season. They're amazing at being Ferrari.

But, today, Merc threw them a bone by pulling a move Ferrari did themselves at Silverstone.

Alpine looking more and more secure in 4th. Great drive from Alonso.

I'm convinced Danny Ricciardo is just trolling McLaren now.

Shout outs to Baby Stroll, who did get a point whilst Seb is most definitely phoning it in til the end of the season, and, Albon getting p12, ok no points but ahead of the Haases and the honey Badger.

2 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Far too many races being 'won' in the pit lane. It's an unnecessary loophole that should have been closed after the last lap debacle that unfairly denied Hamilton an 8th title. And yet again, the Mercedes pit wall team have managed to completely undermine Hamilton's race, whilst artificially improving Russell's end position.

Toto can dress it up any way he chooses, but we've seen this same decision time and again this season. Frankly, it's a huge error in judgement, as to my eye, Hamilton is palpably quicker than his teammate, especially in race trim. Small wonder that Hamilton appears to be losing patience. 

I don't think this was really the same, pitting under safety car has always been an advantage.

What's frustrating this season is teams bungling put stops and strategy and gifting advantage to red bull and Verstappen when they scarcely needed any.

They employ teams of analysts and strategy experts then completely drop the ball.....

9 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I don't think this was really the same

Hamilton leading Grand Prix, safety car deployed, Verstappen gets fresh boots and lines up immediately behind Hamilton who is on a slower compound and older tyres, overtakes him inside a lap. Game over.

Seems pretty similar to me.

10 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

...pitting under safety car has always been an advantage

Isn't that the point I'm making? Fans want to see races won on the racetrack, not in the pits. The fact this idiotic rule has existed forever does not make it any less idiotic.

10 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

What's frustrating this season is teams bungling put stops and strategy and gifting advantage to red bull and Verstappen when they scarcely needed any.

They employ teams of analysts and strategy experts then completely drop the ball.....

Yep.

3 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Hamilton leading Grand Prix, safety car deployed, Verstappen gets fresh boots and lines up immediately behind Hamilton who is on a slower compound and older tyres, overtakes him inside a lap. Game over.

Seems pretty similar to me.

Isn't that the point I'm making? Fans want to see races won on the racetrack, not in the pits. The fact this idiotic rule has existed forever does not make it any less idiotic.

Yep.

The important difference is in Abu Dhabi, the rules for the restart weren't properly followed.

Pitting under the safety car for tyres and losing track position is a decision for teams to make. It's part of the sport.

Why is it idiotic? There's no compelling reason to close the pit lane under safety car? Safety car is to clear up the track so it's safe to get the race going again.

1 hour ago, Andicis said:

It's a little suspicious the Tsunoda scenario. His car clearly had something wrong with him, he limped back into the pit and they send him straight back out. I'll stop short of claiming complete conspiracy, but at minimum it's massive incompetence. Mercedes arguably get a one two if that didn't happen. 

Like Red Bull didn't want a pit stop just yet, but in a few minutes?

Yuki thought he was retiring and started loosening his belts only to be sent back out. No one seemed to know what the problem was...it's certainly not got pro-team vibes.

In truth I lean more towards gross incompetence from AT because the risks didn't merit it at that point and pulling a conspiracy like that would've taken far more working out and if they're going to do it they're gong to do it when it really matters. Max was clearly going to finish agead of both Ferraris. Although for saying all that, I would generally take it as read that AT "know which way their bread is buttered" and will help the big team.

It was the safety car for Bottas that really screwed Mercedes, although Russell also decided to screw Lewis because he genuinly thought he had a chance of getting Max if he had softs on. Mercedes pulled a ferrari at silverstone move and it worked out worse, at least at silverstone Sainz got the win.

7 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Like Red Bull didn't want a pit stop just yet, but in a few minutes?

Yuki thought he was retiring and started loosening his belts only to be sent back out. No one seemed to know what the problem was...it's certainly not got pro-team vibes.

In truth I lean more towards gross incompetence from AT because the risks didn't merit it at that point and pulling a conspiracy like that would've taken far more working out and if they're going to do it they're gong to do it when it really matters. Max was clearly going to finish agead of both Ferraris. Although for saying all that, I would generally take it as read that AT "know which way their bread is buttered" and will help the big team.

It was the safety car for Bottas that really screwed Mercedes, although Russell also decided to screw Lewis because he genuinly thought he had a chance of getting Max if he had softs on. Mercedes pulled a ferrari at silverstone move and it worked out worse, at least at silverstone Sainz got the win.

Not sure I agree regarding Bottas' safety car! Hamilton was closing the gap significantly to Verstappen. By the time of Bottas' safety car, it was likely that Verstappen had either stopped and lost track position, or would have pitted behind Hamilton anyway. The timing of Tsunoda's safety car was what ruined Hamilton's chances of winning the race. 

It has to be said, I also lean toward gross incompetence, and I think they should receive a significant financial penalty for it. It's embarrassing for a professional team to have sent their driver out when he clearly wasn't able to continue. 

Porsche has called off its planned Formula 1 collaboration with Red Bull.

The German car company had been planning to enter F1 in 2026 as engine partner to Red Bull but talks have stalled after an agreement could not be reached.

A Porsche statement said: "The premise was always that a partnership would be based on an equal footing."

It said this would "include not only an engine partnership but also the team. This could not be achieved".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/62850221

I'm certain this will come as a massive shock to absolutely nobody at all.

Horner and Marko like things the way they have them, if red bull's money stops, they just want someone else's money to carry on with. Not going to fly in the boardroom of major manufacturers...

Plus, F1 have finally got the VW group through Audi so probably less drive on their part.

I find myself still not particularly excited about the Audi thing no matter how much F1 think I'm supposed to be.

But, to Monza, the temple of speed, where red bull are so confident they're starting at the back again because they know Ferrari gonna Ferrari.