F1 2022

RadioactiveWaste

Just been announced he's ok.

Thank god for that. Horrible accident.

Replays of his car digging into the gravel and flipping over the barriers are terrifying.

Reply of the start didn't look like it's anyone in particular making a horrible mistake, Gasly is trying to get between Zhou and Russell and gets squeezed as the gap closed, tagged Russell then Russell's car goes into Zhou.

The incidents with Albon appears a separate sympathy crash, think vettel tags Albon to set it off.

37 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

So, pretty entertaining race right?

It might have been in vane, but Leclerc going round Lewis on the outside of Copse on knackered tyres was legend level stuff and my favourite moment (well, that and Carlos saying "lol, no" when Ferrari ordered him to drop 10 car lengths back on the restart)

Probably my favourite race of the season, some really good fights towards the end. The Lewis double overtake was nice and then he got shunted off track by Perez! Ferrari once again with some dodgy strategy for Leclerc. 

Sainz finally had the luck go his way this weekend as he didn't drive massively well, but it makes up for all of his rotten luck in the past I guess!  

39 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Probably my favourite race of the season, some really good fights towards the end. The Lewis double overtake was nice and then he got shunted off track by Perez! Ferrari once again with some dodgy strategy for Leclerc. 

Sainz finally had the luck go his way this weekend as he didn't drive massively well, but it makes up for all of his rotten luck in the past I guess!  

Ferrari strategy is bizarre - and lets be honest, they've not really been good at it for a long time. If they'd made the call early Leclerc would probably have comfortably won the race, RBR, Merc, Mclaren, Alpine, all the other teams would've called it. I 100% admire Sainz for not giving up his position until he was ordered, but the team should've made the call.

12 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Ferrari strategy is bizarre - and lets be honest, they've not really been good at it for a long time. If they'd made the call early Leclerc would probably have comfortably won the race, RBR, Merc, Mclaren, Alpine, all the other teams would've called it. I 100% admire Sainz for not giving up his position until he was ordered, but the team should've made the call.

I guess it's tough as it's still early on in the season and they didn't want to call one of the drivers a priority. But Leclerc was much faster and Sainz holding him up just helped Lewis. It would have been interesting to see without the safety car where the drivers would have finished. I quite fancied the merc to catch minimum Sainz but maybe even Leclerc!

So much happened in the race, a lot to digest beyond the "wow" final laps and thanking our lucky stars the Zhou walked away from that crash.

Some of my thoughts:

100% respect for Carlos Sainz for racing his race and getting his first win.

Great recovery drive from Perez after having to pit early - lucky with the safey car and getting a chance to nip P2, but recovering to P4 would've been a decent effort.

Great drive from Lewis, without the safety car having changed everyhtign he was closing on the ferraris and probably getting past at least Sainz. After the restart he was giving it the best in wheel to wheel knife fight.

Great drive from Leclerc, questionable calls from Ferrari team undid his good work. The fight with Lewis was epic, especially pass at copse.

Hands up everyone else who was waiting for the restart after the SC and the commentry was all "oh, what's lewis going to do now he's pitted for softs" thinking I see Alonso has pitted for softs also, this could be interesting? I totally thought he was going to send it and mug somone. Still, P5 is a good day for Alpine. Happy Fernando gets an outing.

Lando did his job quietly and profssionally in a car that proobably wasn't going to get better than he did. The gap to surely indi/Nascar/sportscar driver in waiting Danny Ric is measured in light years at this point.

Verstappen obviously had a car that was ducked. Was willing Schumacher past him at the end, but wasn't to be.

Double points for Haas and first points for Schumacher Jr. Happy Gunther gets an outing.

But let down by Latifi, this was a decent chance for him to nick a point.

....and it was a bad bad bad day for Alpha Tauri, although i was somewhat amused by them crashing into each other.

4 minutes ago, Andicis said:

I guess it's tough as it's still early on in the season and they didn't want to call one of the drivers a priority. But Leclerc was much faster and Sainz holding him up just helped Lewis. It would have been interesting to see without the safety car where the drivers would have finished. I quite fancied the merc to catch minimum Sainz but maybe even Leclerc!

Yeah, it was shaping up really nicely, my guess would be still Leclerc but then Lewis, Sainz, perez, alonso, norris. Perez still needed to pit at that point and would've come out behind both Alonso and Norris but I think on softs would probably have got past them both.

Further back, I think Max would've been struggling even more and probably dropped another place or two.

3 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Yeah, it was shaping up really nicely, my guess would be still Leclerc but then Lewis, Sainz, perez, alonso, norris. Perez still needed to pit at that point and would've come out behind both Alonso and Norris but I think on softs would probably have got past them both.

Further back, I think Max would've been struggling even more and probably dropped another place or two.

Perez was the huge winner from the safety car definitely. It's starting to shape up nicely between the three top teams. The redbull clearly has an edge, but might struggle more with being forced to change their floor. I'd like to see a lot more of the last 10 or so laps.

Mercedes positives- 3rd place-getting faster and smoother, challenging ferrari. Mercedes negatives- poor pit stop, have been for a while now. Red Bull positives- Perez hanging in there for his reward, fastest car on the track easily. Red Bull negatives- Max broke his own car, riding the kerbs too hard and dipping his tyre in the dirt(debris lol) , Max's race to lose. Ferrari positives- Great to see Carlos get his maiden win. Ferrari negatives- totally screwed Charles over today, he is Max's main challenger wtf, Carlos lost the start, went off track under pressure, Charles was quicker. Lando and Nando raced well, great to see young Mick grab some points. Finally I'm so glad Zhou is ok, could of been terrible, did anybody notice the steward who only just got out of the way ? Anyway great race.

1 minute ago, Alpha said:

How do people keep their composure to continue filming? I'd be too worried about the injuries to drivers, stewards, crowd etc to just calmly film. I think we all secretly love a bit of carnage but maybe just a wing here and wheel there. 

Best race of the season. Maybe they should do more racing on actual race tracks?

100% with you on racing on race tracks. Having the odd street track as a different challenge is one thing, having street track after street track because it's to ruinously expensive to build an actual race track (anyone remember the south Korea track?) doesn't improve the quality of the racing IMO.

41 minutes ago, Alpha said:

How do people keep their composure to continue filming? I'd be too worried about the injuries to drivers, stewards, crowd etc to just calmly film. I think we all secretly love a bit of carnage but maybe just a wing here and wheel there. 

Best race of the season. Maybe they should do more racing on actual race tracks?

Completely agree. The street tracks just end up being boring races that after the start of the race you have a very good idea who will win. Silverstone is a brilliant track, it really supports overtakes and good racing. No surprise it was the best race of the season!

On 02/07/2022 at 16:19, RadioactiveWaste said:

Fantastic pole for Carlos Sainz!

Wet qualifying session, times and places changing all the time, max P2, Leclerc P3, Checo P4, Lewis P5, Lando P6, Fernando P7, Georgie boy P8, Zhou P9 (good job), LATIFI P10!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(?)

No one binned it for red flags, which was itself a bit unusual this season.

The save by Verstappen was pure skill.

I'm not going to pan any of the drivers in a session like that, some will be more disappointed than others, obviously.

In the post qually interviews on the grid, looked like a DCFC flag behind Sainz!

And so the travelling circus that is F1 pitches up at the Rad Bull Ring Piece for a sprint race.

I do actually quite like having a sprint race, but it still kind of grates me that it sets the grid for the GP - honestly think the sprint would be more fun and drivers would take more risks and make more moves in them if the consequence of getting it wrong wasn't "that's the GP ruined because you now start right at the back" but that's just my take.

I like this track, it's short and fairly simple but there's good elevation change and some overtaking spots.

I hope for Leclerc getting some better luck and less moronic decision from his team.

I hope red bull have an off weekend to help close up the championship.

But I think it'll be Verstappen gets 10 seconds ahead of everyone else and controls the race.