Derby were the best side

Curtains

1 minute ago, Ramrob said:

Brings a tear to my eye watching this and I wasn't even around. What a time to be a Ram!

Hard to believe we'll get back to that sort of level again, but football's 'a funny old game'. If Leicester can do it…

Yes let’s hope we get back 

2 hours ago, Curtains said:

Just simply wonderful. Beautiful sunny Derby weather, beautiful lush BBG turf, and a Man Ure side with Best, Charlton, Morgan and a host of other household names simply brushed aside. Hugh Johns commenting - a real old master and blow me I bought a coat just like Brian Moore is wearing in the studio just 2 weeks ago. Any youngsters ....just watch this game. In the 70's football was still the "beautiful game" and probably at its apogee...pure football pleasure. Love it.  

22 minutes ago, Foreveram said:

Utd fans didn’t enjoy though, smashing loads of windows and overturning hot dog stands on their way back to the station 

For some reason, I went to that game on my own (I was 11) and went in the Boys Corner (no girls allowed in those days ?). There was a young Man U supporter, of about 13 I'd say, in there on his tod getting a bit of attention from a group of our apprentice thugs. I think he had learning difficulties. I felt dead sorry for him, but I wasn't old enough or big enough to argue with them. Fortunately, a copper spotted him and hoiked him out before things got too nasty. The 70s eh?

On 18/11/2021 at 08:52, Ramrob said:

Brings a tear to my eye watching this and I wasn't even around. What a time to be a Ram!

Hard to believe we'll get back to that sort of level again, but football's 'a funny old game'. If Leicester can do it…

Unfortunately you can’t even look to Leicester as an example. For all their achievements they still haven’t achieved what we did, to titles and a European semi final. So to get back to where we were, we’d have to surpass Leicester. 

On 18/11/2021 at 12:23, Crewton said:

For some reason, I went to that game on my own (I was 11) and went in the Boys Corner (no girls allowed in those days ?). There was a young Man U supporter, of about 13 I'd say, in there on his tod getting a bit of attention from a group of our apprentice thugs. I think he had learning difficulties. I felt dead sorry for him, but I wasn't old enough or big enough to argue with them. Fortunately, a copper spotted him and hoiked him out before things got too nasty. The 70s eh?

I also went to that game and was in the boys corner (I always thought it was called the boys end) I remember at one stage of the match, George Best being close to the line within touching distance of where I was standing (at the time he was one of the players I worshiped and wish he was a Derby player). I was gobsmacked that we had beaten the great United team that had only 2 years earlier won the European cup, brilliant game to have been at to on that Saturday afternoon.

8 hours ago, plymouthram said:

I also went to that game and was in the boys corner (I always thought it was called the boys end) I remember at one stage of the match, George Best being close to the line within touching distance of where I was standing (at the time he was one of the players I worshiped and wish he was a Derby player). I was gobsmacked that we had beaten the great United team that had only 2 years earlier won the European cup, brilliant game to have been at to on that Saturday afternoon.

I think Corner is correct, because it only took up about a third of the Normo End. We'd beaten United 2-0 at home the previous season, so this wasn't a huge surprise - that's how far we'd come in only three seasons under Clough and Taylor.