Derbyshire CCC - Mickey Arthur Appointed

Mihangel

3 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Have we won yet ? If we had of asked them to bat again we would have got a draw, not a win the way they have batted. Fair play to them but a very bad day at the office for us…

Probably, but you can stay on the attack the other way around. The field scattered very quickly and Godleman seemed reluctant to bowl Conners because he was too expensive, which seemed to lead to not bowling despite the fact he wasn’t expensive. On these pitches which are as good on day 4 as they are day 1 I just can’t get on board with the decision that was made.

Oh well, back to the T20 ?

8 minutes ago, Magicman said:

Self inflicted defeat - poor decision making , weak second innings and passive bowling attack. 

If George Scrimshaw can physically stand up to a 4 day game, he has to come into the team. That extra pace and bounce gives the bowling unit a whole other dimension. I do wonder if they are being cautious with him so they don’t lose him for the one day stuff ?‍♂️

16 minutes ago, jimbo jones said:

Probably, but you can stay on the attack the other way around. The field scattered very quickly and Godleman seemed reluctant to bowl Conners because he was too expensive, which seemed to lead to not bowling despite the fact he wasn’t expensive. On these pitches which are as good on day 4 as they are day 1 I just can’t get on board with the decision that was made.

Oh well, back to the T20 ?

Not sure what your point was with Conners ? He was expensive going at over 7 an over. It is a concern that he often gets just an over in the T20 and now just 6 overs in a 4 day game as he continues to leak runs. Very poor batting and bowling in the second innings but fair play to Sussex, fantastic win for them ?

1 minute ago, Steve Buckley’s Dog said:

Haven’t had the chance to see the score until now. I am perplexed - everyone on here thought it was a ridiculous decision and so it proved. Dear oh dear. 

I didn’t….we just batted and bowled dreadfully in the second innings. You can’t legislate for that. Agree that the difference is we would have got a draw out of it though….

24 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Not sure what your point was with Conners ? He was expensive going at over 7 an over. It is a concern that he often gets just an over in the T20 and now just 6 overs in a 4 day game as he continues to leak runs. Very poor batting and bowling in the second innings but fair play to Sussex, fantastic win for them ?

He’s expensive but takes wickets, 27 this season, 8th most in the country. If you enforce the follow on it doesn’t matter if he goes at 6 or 7 an over. Get fielders in catching positions and tell him  don’t worry about the runs just get us some wickets.

If the bowlers all had 25 overs in their legs and the pitch was breaking up, then fair enough but that wasn’t the case.

Fair play to Sussex, the door was left open and they smashed through it

17 minutes ago, jimbo jones said:

One last thing I would say, post-tea yesterday Sussex were much the better team. They won the game, we didn't hand it too them.

I’d say we ‘handed’ them the opportunity by not enforcing the F-O.

Edited by Grumpy Git

7 hours ago, Crewton said:

Billy should lose the captaincy if we lose this, unless the other senior pros supported the decision. Then, his place, because he's well out of form.

Surely he consulted Mickey Arthur

1 hour ago, sage said:

Surely he consulted Mickey Arthur

Apparently he agreed with the decision. I'll be interested to hear his thinking on that, because I didn't understand it at the time and it certainly backfired.