Ben Davies - Notts County

Day

That's not enough surely? More like £500,000 for him.

Then again, it is the Daily Mail. Trust nothing ;)

Cheers for letting us know early though, something for the night owls amongst us to disect :D

i'll get my thoughts in first :D. absolute bullshit, 1st - He wouldn't choose us over Birmingham and Fiorentina, 2nd - the quoted fee is three times less than those of Brum's and Fiorentina. 3rd- He's a shocking footballer

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's not enough surely? More like £500,000 for him.

Then again, it is the Daily Mail. Trust nothing ;)

Cheers for letting us know early though, something for the night owls amongst us to disect :D

No probs, Ithought it was a bit low as well.

It's written just below an article on Savage maybe going to the MLS.

i'll get my thoughts in first :D. absolute bullshit, 1st - He wouldn't choose us over Birmingham and Fiorentina, 2nd - the quoted fee is three times less than those of Brum's and Fiorentina. 3rd- He's a shocking footballer

Ben Davies, not Kenny Miller!

Plonker :D

Let's just ignore what happened. I would say 250,000 is reasonable for Davies, especially considering he's 29 and has never played at this level. Would be happy for him to sign for that price, although we do seem to have a massive amount of player that can play in the front 3 position

Let's just ignore what happened. I would say 250,000 is reasonable for Davies, especially considering he's 29 and has never played at this level. Would be happy for him to sign for that price, although we do seem to have a massive amount of player that can play in the front 3 position

I don't think it would, Bailey cost us more than that and he was an unproven youth player from League Two.

Ince knows how much Davies is worth, if we sign him for that much I will be shocked.

I don't think it would, Bailey cost us more than that and he was an unproven youth player from League Two.

Ince knows how much Davies is worth, if we sign him for that much I will be shocked.

I would say 250,000 is fairly cheap, but not completely out of the question. Bailey is 22, and clearly has potential. Many would say that since Davies hasn't managed to play at a higher level so far, what means he will be able to do it now. I think he probably could play at this level but the fact that he 7 years older at unproven will surely put his price down. I personally wouldn't go much above 400,000

I would say 250,000 is fairly cheap, but not completely out of the question. Bailey is 22, and clearly has potential. Many would say that since Davies hasn't managed to play at a higher level so far, what means he will be able to do it now. I think he probably could play at this level but the fact that he 7 years older at unproven will surely put his price down. I personally wouldn't go much above 400,000

£400,000 is more than likely his actual worth, but £500,000 is what they'll want as he's intergral to their team.

He's 29, lifelong lower league player. When is his contract up? He would perhaps do a job for 2 seasons (31 then, maybe 4 seasons at a stretch)but there would be no return on investment for him - but so what if he gets us promoted... If he can do a job for 4 years then 250K would be a steal, but the fact that he has been down there for all his career makes me doubt it. But we have obviously watched him closely so perhaps he could cut the mustard. Just wish he was 4 years + younger...

Edinboro wrote:

Would be happy for him to sign for that price, although we do seem to have a massive amount of player that can play in the front 3 position

But if out of the front 3 options Commons and Bueno go, Davies breaks down who are we left with Cwyka and Green, Doyle, Pearson....Pringle... And I honestly don't think that those remaining could create and score enough to keep us moving forward

http://www.thisisnottingham.co.uk/nottscounty/nottsnews/Rams-fresh-bid-Magpies-midfielder/article-3094172-detail/article.html?

He'd be a key player for us, I'm pretty sure of that so I'm glad we are after him.

Just because he has played in the lower leagues for his career doesn't really mean anything, he'll do a job for us and he is a player with end product.

DET have this too;

Rams step up attempt to land Magpies midfield star

Thursday, January 13, 2011, 07:30

DERBY County are back in for Notts County's attacking midfielder Ben Davies.

The Rams showed keen interest in the 29-year-old in the summer and now hope to land the player in a permanent deal during the current transfer window.

Derby are believed to be ready to bid £250,000 for the player.

"It's no secret we have been interested in him (Davies) in the last six months and with the window being open it is something we are going to try to pursue," said Rams manager Nigel Clough.

"Talks are on-going but there has been no official bid.

"Figures have been mentioned, if you class that as a bid."

Clough also confirmed Derby have made loan enquiries on a number of targets as they look to add new faces to the squad this month.

The Rams have watched Davies for some time.

He has 18 months to run on his contract and can play on the left or the right.

His accuracy at set-pieces is a major plus.

Twenty-four goals in 79 games for the Magpies include eight this season.

He started his career at Walsall and had spells at Kidderminster Harriers and Chester, where he won a Conference championship medal in 2004.

He signed for Shrewsbury Town in 2006 and scored 30 goals in 112 League appearances captaining the side before he left on a free transfer to Notts in 2009.

Rams chief executive Tom Glick said in yesterday's Derby Telegraph that progress is being made in the club's attempts to bring in a striker, a midfielder and a central defender.

Derby wingers Lee Croft and David Martin are two players who could go out on loan this month.

Both played for the Reserves in yesterday's 2-0 victory over Rotherham United Reserves in a totesport.com League Central Division fixture at Belper.

"They are out-and-out wide men and we are not playing with wide men at the moment," said Clough.

Croft is back from his loan spell at Huddersfield Town where he made only one start, in a Carling Cup tie against Everton. He also appeared five times as a substitute.

Martin, a summer signing from Millwall, has not started a game this season.

His only appearances came as a substitute in the home games against Queens Park Rangers and Sheffield United.

http://www.therams.co.uk/news/Rams-step-attempt-land-Magpies-midfield-star/article-3095629-detail/article.html

Am I the only person who thinks Ben Davies is 2 years too old? We will get a couple of seasons out of him and that will be it. I would much prefer the funds to be used on a < 25 year old

I agree. And he has never played higher than league 1 either. He doesn't seem to be the kind of player that will move us a step closer to promotion but you never know.

I would have preferred Michael Tongue back but I guess we can't afford him.

Archived