Academy Thread 21/22

Shadowplay

1 hour ago, Shadowplay said:

Who are the players of the current u18’s who are tipped to make the step up in the coming years?

Players who are still scholars: Moloney (LB), Robinson (CM), Ibrahim (CM), Sebagabo (CM), Borkovic (RW) and Ebiowei (RW) are leading the race IMO. 

Borkovic has already featured in a first team squad and came off the bench in the league cup, Ibrahim spent a lot of time training with the first team under Cocu, whilst Ebiowei and Robinson have been drafted into Rooney's training sessions recently.

Edited by Ghost of Clough

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I did mention on Monday I heard we were selling a young one to Aston Villa £600,000 I heard  - we must be losing some serious money in the future if just one of these becomes a star what is that about 14 gone to premiership clubs in the past two years? 

1 minute ago, Zag zig said:

With respect to the young lad, 500k for a kid I’ve never heard of sounds good business.

Who is he @RoyMac5, why is it painful to Nicko, does it mean he’ll have to respond to questions like WTF you on about dude.

Not sure how good he currently is, let alone might become. Striker though, age group NI international. Would like to have seen him play! @Ravabeerbelly and @Ghost of Cloughmight know?

Edited by RoyMac5

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Not sure how good he currently is, let alone might become. Striker though, age group NI international. Would like to have seen him play! @Ravabeerbelly and @Ghost of Cloughmight know?

Maybe it’s just a case within premiership circles that they know Derby county has a hell of a crop of youngsters and they also know we have to let them leave to premiership clubs for next to nothing because of that ridiculous rule between the premiership and the EFL. 

4 minutes ago, Zag zig said:

With respect to the young lad, 500k for a kid I’ve never heard of sounds good business.

Who is he @RoyMac5, why is it painful to Nicko, does it mean he’ll have to respond to questions like WTF you on about dude.

Looks like only joined recently.  What happened to the set 1.5 million fees as Category 1. ?

30 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I haven't seen enough of him to makea good judgement. Ased on what I have seen, I'd put his potential as somewhere between Delap and Plange though ?

29 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

Is this the beginning of the end for the academy? 

From what I see, it’s evidence of a self sustaining successful academy.

What’s wrong with if we continue to recoup good money, churning over young talent, whilst retaining the odd gem for the first squad. That to me, for a championship or lower side, suggests a highly successful academy business model.

Sometimes it’s easy to look at it negatively but I quite like what we’re doing in our academy right now.

Just now, Zag zig said:

From what I see, it’s evidence of a self sustaining successful academy.

What’s wrong with if we continue to recoup good money, churning over young talent, whilst retaining the odd gem for the first squad. That to me, for a championship or lower side, suggests a highly successful academy business model.

Sometimes it’s easy to look at it negatively but I quite like what we’re doing in our academy right now.

Except the crucial point being we aren't able to choose which ones we want to keep!

Just now, RoyMac5 said:

Except the crucial point being we aren't able to choose which ones we want to keep!

Sure. I’d see that as temporary though, given our current financial state. No reason to expect that forever with a solid financial platform, should we avoid liquidation of course ?

Ive not really disagreed with any of the current departures of our youngsters, with the possible exception of Plange; only because I think Rooney is right, he’d possibly have benefited with another12 months here.

33 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

Is this the beginning of the end for the academy? 

No,   any new owner will have seen the potential of the academy, and under normal circumstances would have made a decent profit on the young players, which we would not have needed too sell in normal times, and if it was not the academy players who have stepped up this season we would already be relegated.

Just now, Zag zig said:

Sure. I’d see that as temporary though, given our current financial state. No reason to expect that forever with a solid financial platform, should we avoid liquidation of course ?

Ive not really disagreed with any of the current departures of our youngsters, with the possible exception of Plange; only because I think Rooney is right, he’d possibly have benefited with another12 months here.

Again except if they're any good they'd be better sold when they've shown more and we're higher up the league/Prem. ?