Reykjanes awakes

Eddie

On 15/11/2023 at 19:18, ramit said:

It is 1%, not 10, but everyone knows everyone here, so close enough heh

The mayor of Grindavík said that in the best case scenario people could move back into their homes in 6-9 months.  The infrastructure is in tatters, many houses will have be demolished.  Numerous residents owe housing loans on now damaged and abandoned houses.  The banks were asked to freeze the payments for a few months and the interest rates, they accepted the former but said no to the latter, exclaiming that there is nothing they can do.  People are very angry over this, but it is clear what the banks are trying to do, wait it out until the state takes over all obligations.

It is now considered to be primarily plate movements at work on the peninsula this time.  Iceland sits half on the American plate and half on the Eurasian plate and is being torn asunder slowly, but now apparently much more quickly.  If there will be an eruption, it will probably not be a powerful one and fizzle out quite soon.

On 16/11/2023 at 03:18, ramit said:

It is 1%, not 10, but everyone knows everyone here, so close enough heh

So that'd be over 3,500 people who may need help and re-location, which is actually quite a lot!  Fingers remain crossed in any case and I hope that you and yours are all staying safe and that the magma makes its bloody mind up in time for anyone affected to have some sort of Xmas. 

7 hours ago, Comrade 86 said:

So that'd be over 3,500 people who may need help and re-location, which is actually quite a lot!  Fingers remain crossed in any case and I hope that you and yours are all staying safe and that the magma makes its bloody mind up in time for anyone affected to have some sort of Xmas. 

3.800 at last count, many of those are recent immigrants.  Most of the Icelanders have relatives who can house them at least on a temporary basis, but not so for many of the immigrants.  It's a bad situation.  Some of these people just recently bought a house there, I cannot fathom what they were thinking.

Yes indeed, the seemingly endless waiting and uncertainty is nerve wracking for so many, for all of us really.  This plays like a slow motion disaster film.  This land is not easy on it's inhabitants, but that has made us resilient.

On 19/11/2023 at 15:55, Eddie said:

I'm actually surprised that more use isn't made of prefabricated or mobile-home type buildings, e.g. portacabins, in areas prone to earthquakes.

We have tried various types of prefabricated houses, most of them do not suit the environment.  The weather here is intense at times, hurricane force winds.  There are houses of the sort that would work, but builders make money building from concrete or wood structure from bottom up, I suspect that may be the main reason.

• 2 weeks later...

Some better news.  Because the magma did not make it to the surface under Grindavík, it has now cooled considerably, meaning that an eruption coming up there is an increasingly unlikely outcome.  The big cracks are being filled in, but lots of smaller one's are being discovered all over town.  Companies are restarting operations, a step at a time, water pipes need digging up and repairing, electric connections too, internet and so forth.

Quakes come in swarms now, but not under the town, magma is doing something nobody understands really.  Cracks have appeared all over the peninsula and authorities warn folks to be careful when walking.  The top of the mountain Keilir has moved significantly, this is not over whatever it is, but at least some good news for Grindavík now.

9 hours ago, oomarkwright said:

How do you go about filling say a foot wide crack in the highway when maybe the crack might be half a mile deep.  Or even if it's a couple of hundred metres deep, that's a big gap to fill! 

These cracks seem to be mostly shallow.  The magma pushing below causing the surface crust to crack would be my uneducated guess.  They wouldn't be filling them in otherwise I should think.

18 hours ago, ramit said:

Some better news.  Because the magma did not make it to the surface under Grindavík, it has now cooled considerably, meaning that an eruption coming up there is an increasingly unlikely outcome.  The big cracks are being filled in, but lots of smaller one's are being discovered all over town.  Companies are restarting operations, a step at a time, water pipes need digging up and repairing, electric connections too, internet and so forth.

Quakes come in swarms now, but not under the town, magma is doing something nobody understands really.  Cracks have appeared all over the peninsula and authorities warn folks to be careful when walking.  The top of the mountain Keilir has moved significantly, this is not over whatever it is, but at least some good news for Grindavík now.

Glad to hear things appear to be improving mate. Just in time for Christmas! 

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Comrade 86 said:

Het @ramit how are things looking now in Grindavík and surrounds? Hoping things are returning to some semblance of normality, though I guess tahat might take rather more time. Hope you can have a decent holiday all the same.

Thanks for checking mate.  The quakes and land rise are still ongoing, not expecting eruption under the town, but could happen close to town, possibly under the power plant at Svartseyngi, (Blue Lagoon area)  Until this dies down it's considered too risky for people to move back home and there is no way of telling when that can be, if ever.  The peninsula has entered a hundred year active period, with no reference in modern times to anything similar, there is no way of knowing what will happen, it's not just Grindavík at risk, it is most of the peninsula, including the outskirts of Reykjavík.

My wife, son and I are busy preparing for moving house, packing things down, as we head out of Reykjavík to Stykkishólmur on Saturday morning.  There are volcanoes close to that place also, but not as active, for now, heh.

Edited by ramit
typo

30 minutes ago, ramit said:

Thanks for checking mate.  The quakes and land rise are still ongoing, not expecting eruption under the town, but could happen close to town, possibly under the power plant at Svartseyngi, (Blue Lagoon area)  Until this dies down it's considered too risky for people to move back home and there is no way of telling when that can be, if ever.  The peninsula has entered a hundred year active period, with no reference in modern times to anything similar, there is no way of knowing what will happen, it's not just Grindavík at risk, it is most of the peninsula, including the outskirts of Reykjavík.

My wife, son and I are busy preparing for moving house, packing things down, as we head out of Reykjavík to Stykkishólmur on Saturday morning.  There are volcanoes close to that place also, but not as active, for now, heh.

Ah, my very limited understanding precludes me grasping that these things don't start and finish quickly. My Icelandic buddies tell me it's part and parcel of being an Icelander and something that Icelanders accept (no choice I suppose!) but I feel it's quite harsh land, for all that it is also beautiful. I'll just wish you and the rest of the country a merry Christmas and hopefully a less hectic new year!  

7 hours ago, Comrade 86 said:

Ah, my very limited understanding precludes me grasping that these things don't start and finish quickly. My Icelandic buddies tell me it's part and parcel of being an Icelander and something that Icelanders accept (no choice I suppose!) but I feel it's quite harsh land, for all that it is also beautiful. I'll just wish you and the rest of the country a merry Christmas and hopefully a less hectic new year!  

Your Icelandic buddies are correct, it goes with the territory, as the saying goes.  It is a harsh land, sometimes extremely so, but it makes us appreciate the good days more.  Adaptability and stoicism is the name of the game here, our national motto being Það Reddast (It will work out)

Wishing you and yours happy holidays.

Eruption began in a 4km long line, stretched to 7km, the highest spurts reaching 125 meters.  It got as close as 2km from Grindavík on a crack that lies straight through the town.  The main activity now is near the center of the line, which is common with these types of eruptions as they settle, but that could change in the coming days.

Some impressive footage here

Edited by ramit

54 minutes ago, ramit said:

Eruption began in a 4km long line, stretched to 7km, the highest spurts reaching 125 meters.  It got as close as 2km from Grindavík on a crack that lies straight through the town.  The main activity now is near the center of the line, which is common with these types of eruptions as they settle, but that could change in the coming days.

Some impressive footage here

Stay safe mate! 😯