Reykjanes awakes

Eddie

12 hours ago, ramit said:

1 week time lapse

Amazing footage but I'm struggling to get an idea of the size & scale of it. How big are the cones in relation to the surrounding ground?

Sorry if this is a stupid question but there's never a reference point to gauge the size.

15 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

Amazing footage but I'm struggling to get an idea of the size & scale of it. How big are the cones in relation to the surrounding ground?

Sorry if this is a stupid question but there's never a reference point to gauge the size.

Very small. Probably less than 50 metres high. This type of eruption consists of very runny lava (think maple syrup as opposed to toothpaste) which is extremely hot, so the cones are very unstable and frequently collapse. There is probably no more than 10 cubic metres per second peak flow, so it will spread out over a wide area, filling a valley before it flows down into the next one.

Edited by Eddie

12 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

It's not a stupid question, but the answer is a bit questionable

As i haven't been there, i can only gauge it from pics and videos and the cones keep changing, collapses occur, but would estimate the largest one to be about 30 meters high.  There will probably be more cones as this thing rumbles on.

More vents are possibly opening up south of the main cone.  The northernmost vent is dying down, which indicates to some scientists that elevation over sea is a determining factor in where new vents will open.  Gas pollution in Reykjavík today.

The current camera is from the opposite side now - the side which, before today, was obscured by the spatter cone. I think we can safely assume that it's a 'proper' volcano now.

Tonight's screenshot...

323027730_2021-04-30(1).thumb.png.34c6afec4ff286fce0bbfb11d64ad3e8.png

The volcano has now moved into a periodic eruption phase, a little like a geyser. It goes quiet, then a few minutes later there are huge lava fountains going up to 250m in the air, then it goes quiet again. The cyclic period at the moment is around 12 minutes, give or take. The following three screenshots were taken 1 minute apart...

2021-05-02.thumb.png.9b59838c7dfc14c8198b23af6487fbc9.png1231189535_2021-05-02(1).thumb.png.2d4082c75e5368c659e4f14b5c801f3f.png1327058016_2021-05-02(2).thumb.png.59dbd07cb75eb62caf52dedefa7c7076.png

Still chugging along quite nicely. You get a few minutes of bubbling followed by nice fountaining, then it subdues and falls quiet for around 10 minutes, only for the whole cycle to start again. The flow rate still averages out at 5-7 cubic metres per second and shows no signs of diminishing in the short term.

2021-05-09.thumb.png.b7793d42bc55606aab6ef74ace3f56ce.png

Edited by Eddie

• 4 weeks later...

A few weeks later, the characteristics of the eruption have changed again. The conduit from the mantle is wider, so there isn't the massive pressure build-up which led to the 300 metre-high fountains. However, the flow of magma is showing no sign of abating - in fact, it has now increased to around 12 cubic metres of lava every second.

It's still very periodic, with 5 or 6 minutes of quiet followed by a growing - then subsiding - level of activity lasting 2 or 3 minutes before it starts all over again.

1956342825_2021-06-06(1).thumb.png.4a3dc7a2b6a3a3d94dd61adbc36c3b00.png