Reykjanes awakes

Eddie

The first volcanic eruption on the Reykjanes peninsula in Iceland for 800 years started a few hours ago. This will be a 'pretty' eruption - no nasty glaciers to cause a phreatic explosion. What is known as a 'tourism eruption' - only problem is, there are no tourists. If only it had waited a year - we were planning an Icelandic cruise for 2022.

The only down-side at the moment is that the prevailing winds are blowing the gases straight to Reykjavik. Look after yourself, @ramit

Live streaming webcam

6 minutes ago, Eddie said:

The first volcanic eruption on the Reykjanes peninsula in Iceland for 800 years started a few hours ago. This will be a 'pretty' eruption - no nasty glaciers to cause a phreatic explosion. What is known as a 'tourism eruption' - only problem is, there are no tourists. If only it had waited a year - we were planning an Icelandic cruise for 2022.

The only down-side at the moment is that the prevailing winds are blowing the gases straight to Reykjavik. Look after yourself, @ramit

Live streaming webcam

Cheers for this Eddie.  i watched all reports until about 2.30am and saw that it had already subsided a bit.  Today, as Rams can see on the live cam the eruption is very small and localized, but last night it was on the 700 meter long fissure.  Gas won't be a big problem, today at least, as it's breezy and there is no magma shooting up 100 meters anymore.  If it picks up again, we will have to keep windows closed until Tuesday as we will be downwind until then.

Historically eruption periods on Reykjanes peninsula have been at a circa 800 year interval, but lasting with pauses up to 200 years.  Prefer that it will be more like the Krafla fires and only last 15 years, heh.  Well done to you for seeing the possible similarities between these two events.

Don't cancel your cruise just yet, this may just as likely die down soon.

If I am one thing at all, it is that I am a volcanoholic. I have always been fascinated by them, and spent hours glued to webcams of Eyjafjallajökull, Holuhraun and Grimsvotn in recent years. What really got me interested as a child was when I lived in Malaya and we used to go to the cinema a couple of times a week. There was always a Pathe News section shown of things happening around the world, an of course Sertsey was widely reported in the runup to breaking above the surface in 1963. Before that, there was the evacuation and eventual resettlement of Tristan de Cunha. As a kid I wanted to be a geologist, but then again I also wanted to be an engine driver. 

It’s pretty.

although all those folk standing at the edge of the lava flow could get a shock if it manages a decent burp.

2 hours ago, RamNut said:

It’s pretty.

although all those folk standing at the edge of the lava flow could get a shock if it manages a decent burp.

It's about a 3 hour walk to the area, so only the most determined will be there.  One young man was interviewed heading there and replied when asked if he wasn't vary of the danger, you only live once.  Yeah and you only die once, preferably not cooked in magma though.  i am not going anywhere near that thing.

8 hours ago, Eddie said:

Live streaming webcam

I got stuck in Goa when that ash cloud was causing havoc. I could think of worse places to be stuck.

Still spluttering away nicely. The area occupied by lava is around 0.1 km2, and this, coupled with average thickness (assumed) of around 10m equates to a flow rate of around 15 m3/sec. Nice and photogenic - and pretty safe really if people aren't silly.

3 hours ago, Stive Pesley said:

Wow - the last 4 minutes of this where it's just the volcano look like CGI!

Probably the most photogenic 'safe' eruption for some time, and the video you posted is brilliant.

36 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Still spluttering away nicely. The area occupied by lava is around 0.1 km2, and this, coupled with average thickness (assumed) of around 10m equates to a flow rate of around 15 m3/sec. Nice and photogenic - and pretty safe really if people aren't silly.

Fairly safe while conditions remain steady, but our volcanologists warn that the magma channel to the south and north can open up quickly and without warning.  For now, it is a "tourist eruption"