Reykjanes awakes

Eddie

The eruption has halted for the time being, but something worrying has come up, numerous earthquakes around Keilir mountain, which scientists worry might indicate a fissure extending to that location and an eruption being imminent.  It is much closer to the greater Reykjavík area and magma would run it's course to the sea in Faxaflói, cutting the main road to the airport and endangering inhabited areas.

Futurefissure.jpg

On 29/09/2021 at 20:56, ramit said:

The eruption has halted for the time being, but something worrying has come up, numerous earthquakes around Keilir mountain, which scientists worry might indicate a fissure extending to that location and an eruption being imminent.  It is much closer to the greater Reykjavík area and magma would run it's course to the sea in Faxaflói, cutting the main road to the airport and endangering inhabited areas.

Futurefissure.jpg

Yes, I've been watching with interest. Many of the quakes are in the 5-6 Km deep region. I presume you felt the 4.2 earlier this afternoon? It must be a worry that the Reykjanes peninsula is waking up after almost a millennium asleep.

8 hours ago, Eddie said:

Yes, I've been watching with interest. Many of the quakes are in the 5-6 Km deep region. I presume you felt the 4.2 earlier this afternoon? It must be a worry that the Reykjanes peninsula is waking up after almost a millennium asleep.

i didn't feel it actually, we were out shopping, i think we were driving at the time.  It is worrying, not least when you hear scientists stating in a matter of fact way that this is the beginning of a very long period of volcanic activity on the peninsula, perhaps 200 years long.  Krýsuvík is part of this system and it's quite close to us, as well as other long dormant areas near and in the city of Reykjavík.

Next year likely, we will be looking for a house to buy outside of the city, far outside, way up north if i have my way.  Hope the place hangs together until then heh.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Here we go again.  Eruption has begun close to where the first one was in a valley called Merardalir, a crack a few kilometers long has developed and is rather low in intensity to begin with, although that may change and probably will.

We've had a massive swarm of earthquakes for many days now, tens of thousands, the biggest was 5.4 and shook us pretty decently here on the 5th floor in Reykjavík.

Heads up to @Eddie

On 03/08/2022 at 16:16, ramit said:

Here we go again.  Eruption has begun close to where the first one was in a valley called Merardalir, a crack a few kilometers long has developed and is rather low in intensity to begin with, although that may change and probably will.

We've had a massive swarm of earthquakes for many days now, tens of thousands, the biggest was 5.4 and shook us pretty decently here on the 5th floor in Reykjavík.

Heads up to @Eddie

I Love You Hello GIF by James Koroni

• 1 year later...

Things are heating up again and in a bad way.  Numerous earthquakes like before earlier eruptions, but this time much more magma flow and much closer to habitation.  The magma is spreading horizontally at around 5km depth causing earthquakes as it pushes outward but appears to be quite shallower now.  Last night there was a quake registering 5 at 3 km depth.  The power station and the town of Grindavík are in danger.  If the power station goes under, it means no electricity or hot water for a large part of the peninsula affecting tens of thousands. 

To update from this video, the Blue Lagoon has been closed and the adjoining hotel as well.  The tourists came running out last night seeking to be moved away from the area.  This could turn out very badly, be a much more powerful eruption than earlier ones and with a shorter warning period.

Edited by ramit

15 minutes ago, ramit said:

Things are heating up again and in a bad way.  Numerous earthquakes like before earlier eruptions, but this time much more magma flow and much closer to habitation.  The magma is spreading horizontally at around 5km depth causing earthquakes as it pushes outward but appears to be quite shallower now.  Last night there was a quake registering 5 at 3 km depth.  The power station and the town of Grindavík are in danger.  If the power station goes under, it means no electricity or hot water for a large part of the peninsula affecting tens of thousands. 

To update from this video, the Blue Lagoon has been closed and the adjoining hotel as well.  The tourists came running out last night seeking to be moved away from the area.  This could turn out very badly, be a much more powerful eruption than earlier ones and with a shorter warning period.

For the first time in almost year, I've been on Volcano Cafe and the Icelandic Met Office sites earlier today. There's been a pretty sizeable swarm over the last week or so, and as you say, it's very close to Grindavik. It certainly looks as though Þorbjörn is getting ready to blow its nose.

Karl Rehnberg posted an article about it a couple of days ago, and he reckons 'imminent'.

https://www.volcanocafe.org/thorbjorn-on-the-brink/

11 hours ago, Eddie said:

For the first time in almost year, I've been on Volcano Cafe and the Icelandic Met Office sites earlier today. There's been a pretty sizeable swarm over the last week or so, and as you say, it's very close to Grindavik. It certainly looks as though Þorbjörn is getting ready to blow its nose.

Karl Rehnberg posted an article about it a couple of days ago, and he reckons 'imminent'.

https://www.volcanocafe.org/thorbjorn-on-the-brink/

That's a really informative and entertaining read (I mean the link, though your post is lovely as well). Thanks!.

16 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

That's a really informative and entertaining read (I mean the link, though your post is lovely as well). Thanks!.

The site (VC) is a mine of information. Contributors are volcanologists, geologists, physicists (both professional and amateur) and just enthusiastic volcano lovers.