New management team required - NOW

Rooney should be in place until the summer. At which point we need to review his position, the coaching staff and how the club has operated the last 5 seasons or so.

What we see now is the result of bad decisions seasons ago, compounded by this recent chase for the celebrity, if only to increase our potential saleability.

Rooney is part of that problem. This season was always going to be tough, we have had further bad luck with injury and some senior players having very poor seasons.

We have been as poor in some games under Rooney as we have for a long long time and that is with a better squad than we had to start the season with. His points record is massively skewed by the Bielik run.

I would have sympathy for him, but he showed a lack of professionalism as a player to this club and to his manager. 

I don't doubt he could be a good manager in the future, but we treat him like he is bigger than the club as a manager. Done nothing to earn that yet.

• Replies 563
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Funny one this,many of my favourite posters on the forum in dispute over Rooney performance as manager.

Essentially tho,I think you are correct here jourdan,neither have been good enough...cocu for his inexperience of the championship and Rooney for his inexperience as a manager.

Sadly I think Rooney football,to date,has been of an overall lower technical standard than cocus' and rather more rowett that Mac's finest.

If we do stay up this year and Rooney stays then next season will be the litmus test and no excuses for our lack of flair and goals this year.

Here's hoping that this year's dour football was just a necessary evil and that it's not waynes template for our football going forwards....

Agree with all of that.

15 minutes ago, BondJovi said:

I would have sympathy for him, but he showed a lack of professionalism as a player to this club and to his manager. 

I don't doubt he could be a good manager in the future, but we treat him like he is bigger than the club as a manager. Done nothing to earn that yet.

But why did they give him a 2 year contract? Would he have really rejected one until the end of the season considering he has no experience and hasn't even finished his badges?

21 minutes ago, DCFClks said:

But why did they give him a 2 year contract? Would he have really rejected one until the end of the season considering he has no experience and hasn't even finished his badges?

These decisions were made with a group who now have zero say over our club.

The same group also had a say in sacking a manager 11 games into his second season of a 4 year deal.

It is all madness. But it is what has happened lately, we make a decision and do our utmost to try and make that decision fail!

11 minutes ago, BondJovi said:

The same group also had a say in sacking a manager 11 games into his second season of a 4 year deal.

It is all madness. But it is what has happened lately, we make a decision and do our utmost to try and make that decision fail!

If it wasn't so tragic, it would be hilarious. 

20 minutes ago, BondJovi said:

think that sacking was necessary though .

51 minutes ago, DCFClks said:

He's got the creative activity badge, explorers badge and is currently working on the square peg into a round hole badge.

Still a way to go till he steps up from Cubs to Scouts. 

41 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

He's got the creative activity badge, explorers badge and is currently working on the square peg into a round hole badge.

Still a way to go till he steps up from Cubs to Scouts. 

Has he got his cycling proficiency badge though ?

One big change that has happened on the field between Cocu and Rooney is Rooney himself. Now whether or not Cocu had any say in his selection we can pontificate on, but when he was on the pitch it was like we had 10 men sometimes. CKR is definitely a step up from fat, out of condition Rooney, even if his recent performances have lacked some of the sparkle that the earlier ones had. 

Too many question marks about Cocu's reign. I still think we would have escaped relegation had he stayed. I think we'd be in a similar position to what we are now, with a caveat around Rooney's negative influence on matches potentially costing us points long term.

1 minute ago, IlsonDerby said:

I’d like to have a magic ball to see what would have happened had Bielik been fit under Cocu. I get the feeling anyone who had a fully fit Bielik would have had us climbing the league. 

And CKR match ready. Not sure either PC or WR good enough though

11 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

The difference is Cocu made the mess we're in Rooney (atm) is having to try and clear it up!

...but seems to have fallen in the same groove, making the same mistakes and playing in the same style with similarly predictable results.

I see little to differentiate between the two. Which isn't all bad, I thought Cocu may have come good (but by the time he was sacked I had given up much hope, and was ready for change). Cocu wasn't the solution - but it looks like Rooney may not be either.

1 hour ago, GboroRam said:

...but seems to have fallen in the same groove, making the same mistakes and playing in the same style with similarly predictable results.

I see little to differentiate between the two. Which isn't all bad, I thought Cocu may have come good (but by the time he was sacked I had given up much hope, and was ready for change). Cocu wasn't the solution - but it looks like Rooney may not be either.

I'd agree with that.  When Rooney first took over he did indeed seem to have simplified things, but the chopping and changing has resumed and the form has gone downhill. 

Both managers have been unfortunate with injuries to key players, but we really lack resilience both on and off the pitch. It feels like we're in a battle but we don't seem to have (m) any warriors.

39 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

Not as surprising when he has the same squad to pick from (bar a few more youngsters and loans)! Even Mac2 showed how difficult it was to keep momentum up after the initial 'saving from relegation'. So as long as Wayne doesn't laugh on the touchline he should be safe...

11 hours ago, Chris_Martin said:

think that sacking was necessary though .

It was, but I don't believe for the right reasons. Those first 11 games contained some better performances than most Rooney has served up the last 11 or so. Rooney has better options available to him.

We had a player/coach who clearly wasn't up to it, did he have to play, we won't know. The speculation at the time was ridiculous and it all centered around him. Something had to give. It was Rooney or Cocu and we picked the one who wasn't setting a professional standard. 

We should never have allowed ourselves to get into such a mess. Rooney should have retired in the summer. 

We have used Rooney to sell the club. I can't help but feel we shafted Cocu and are leaving Rooney in the crap, crap that is partly of his own making.

2 minutes ago, BondJovi said:

We had a player/coach who clearly wasn't up to it, did he have to play, we won't know. The speculation at the time was ridiculous and it all centered around him. Something had to give. It was Rooney or Cocu and we picked the one who wasn't setting a professional standard. 

Might I suggest if Cocu allowed himself to be pressured into playing Rooney then that wasn't at all professional! I don't believe that, he picked Rooney because as poorly as he played he was still one of the few players in our squad (chosen by Cocu) most likely to make something happen!

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

Not as surprising when he has the same squad to pick from (bar a few more youngsters and loans)! Even Mac2 showed how difficult it was to keep momentum up after the initial 'saving from relegation', could be. So as long as Wayne doesn't laugh on the touchline he should be safe...

Even mentioning Mac in the same breath as Rooney or Cocu is outrageous. I enjoyed watching our style of play under Mac, and never did we look like a relegation fighting team. Mac at his worst was far more entertaining and more successful than what we're watching at the minute.

2 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

Even mentioning Mac in the same breath as Rooney or Cocu is outrageous. I enjoyed watching our style of play under Mac, and never did we look like a relegation fighting team. Mac at his worst was far more entertaining and more successful than what we're watching at the minute.

If we had the same squad we wouldn't be in this mess. As you are well aware I was not comparing Mac and Rooney, I was comparing the situation. The difficulty in keeping a 'poor' teams momentum going when they have moved away from potential relegation.

Archived