Louie Watson and the 5 loanees

Ramarena

6 minutes ago, enachops said:

Just curious as to why you think Roberts is on the wrong wing? Footballs changes a lot since Micklewhite, Callaghan, McMinn etc went on the outside and whipped balls in. 4-3-3 wide men often cut in on there favoured foot - inverted forwards. Think Roberts has potential to play anywhere on both sides or as a 10. 

We keep having this debate.

How many goals have been scored by Jozwiak, roberts, Lawrence, waghorn or anyone else cutting inside on their ‘favoured’ foot? 
Alan Hinton could cut inside because he was two-footed. 
but if you’re wondering why our crosses are non-existent or poor then the clue is in your question. 
people praise the attacking threat of Byrne and Buchanan. There’s a clue there too. 

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, Chris_Martin said:

Roberts is a RW though. 

It doesn't help playing him RM in a 4-4-2 as well.

Roberts is left footed.

13 minutes ago, RamNut said:

How many goals have been scored by Jozwiak, roberts, Lawrence, waghorn or anyone else cutting inside on their ‘favoured’ foot? 
but if you’re wondering why our crosses are non-existent or poor then the clue is in your question. 
people praise the attacking threat of Byrne and Buchanan. There’s a clue there too. 

I agree in some ways. Although they’d score even less if a left footer played on the left. I think the goals/assists stats is more down to the quality of player rather than a lefty playing on the right though. Lawrence has  a decent record on the left apart from this year. Waghorn is having a mare, Jozwiak has less composure than Mason Bennett and Roberts it’s too early to judge. The wide players are a major weakness in our squad. 

I think Roberts would be better on the left. He’s so left footed, so when he makes space outside he wants to come back inside and he’s too lightweight so he gets crowded out.

I’d give him a go on the left so he can make space out wide and then actually look to try and put a ball into the box. 

Our final ball is beyond dreadful right now. It’s perplexing to watch 2 or 3 different wide players consistently unable to hit a cross behind on the first man. 

ive been pro jozwiak all season but my patience for his lack of end product is thin right now. He seems to want to beat his man and then try and beat him four more times before trying a cross or shot and when he does he struggles to kick the ball. 

On 07/03/2021 at 00:30, Chris_Martin said:

Roberts is a disappointment but of course we play him on the wrong wing so we shouldn’t really be surprised that he heads infield and doesn’t cross it. 

On 07/03/2021 at 00:30, Chris_Martin said:

Roberts is a RW though. 

It doesn't help playing him RM in a 4-4-2 as well.

so is he a LW or RW?

just picked this intel up, can't support the data though

A display of what positions Patrick Roberts has played in over the last 50 matches including his average match rating on the specific position.

POSITIONSAPPSAVERAGE RATING

Attacking Midfielder (Right)17 6.2

Attacking Midfielder (Centre)13 6.1

Forward (Centre)6 6.0

Midfielder (Right)5 6.0

Attacking Midfielder (Left)4-

Forward (Right)2 6.0

Defensive Midfielder (Right)1-

Forward (Left)1-

Midfielder (Centre)1-

PREFERED FOOT

Left

Odd that a left footer appears to want to play on the right 

On 07/03/2021 at 12:28, RamNut said:

Jozwiak

Games played on the left: 13

Goals scored on the left: 1

Games played on the right: 10

Goals scored on the right: 0

Also 6 subs appearances (no goals) but I can't be bothered checking whether he played on the right or left

Lawrence

Left: 21 in 117

Right: 2 in 8

Waghorn

Left: 1 in 8

Right: 8 in 42

7 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Jozwiak

Games played on the left: 13

Goals scored on the left: 1

Games played on the right: 10

Goals scored on the right: 0

Also 6 subs appearances (no goals) but I can't be bothered checking whether he played on the right or left

Lawrence

Left: 21 in 117

Right: 2 in 8

Waghorn

Left: 1 in 8

Right: 8 in 42

These loanees were ‘elastoplasts’  signed when the takeover was still on. So MM required that Jan ins and outs had as far as possible a neutral impact on cashflows to the summer. We were winning when the signings were made and apart from support for CRK they were primarily to give depth in case of further injuries. So why would we expect any miracles ?

On 07/03/2021 at 12:41, enachops said:

I agree in some ways. Although they’d score even less if a left footer played on the left. I think the goals/assists stats is more down to the quality of player rather than a lefty playing on the right though. Lawrence has  a decent record on the left apart from this year. Waghorn is having a mare, Jozwiak has less composure than Mason Bennett and Roberts it’s too early to judge. The wide players are a major weakness in our squad. 

We’ve tried playing left footers on the right and right footers on the left. It’s not worked.

we get bugger all service to the striker. No decent crosses. Players cutting inside and running into traffic. The best crosses seem to come from Byrne and Buchanan because it’s natural for them to deliver a cross with their favoured foot. They are also more inclined to get to closer to the bye line. I once heard Alan Hinton explain why it works better and he should know.

3 minutes ago, RamNut said:

We’ve tried playing left footers on the right and right footers on the left. It’s not worked.

we get bugger all service to the striker. No decent crosses. Players cutting inside and running into traffic. The best crosses seem to come from Byrne and Buchanan because it’s natural for them to deliver a cross with their favoured foot. They are also more inclined to get to closer to the bye line. I once heard Alan Hinton explain why it works better and he should know.

That's how football has developed over the last 10-15 years or so.

Take West Ham as a random example. It's their fullbacks who put in the crosses, with only 1 of their top5 crosses not being a full back.

Just now, Ghost of Clough said:

That's how football has developed over the last 10-15 years or so.

Take West Ham as a random example. It's their fullbacks who put in the crosses, with only 1 of their top5 crosses not being a full back.

It’s not working for us. 

"Louie Watson and the 5 loanees" sounds like a Enid Blyton children story book.

Of daring do "Of the small underdogs, triumphing against the wicked Football League trying to relegate us by hook or by crook"

We,(Derby) however ultimately win out at end and remain in the Championship.

Hurrah !

Archived