Louie Watson and the 5 loanees

Ramarena

Think it’s too early to be judging any of them to be honest, certainly based on their time in a Derby shirt anyway.

Watson has made a couple of decent cameos, but let’s not get too ahead of ourselves just yet. He’s only just stepped up to the first team and hasn’t even started a game yet! I wouldn’t get too excited and pile the pressure on, we’ve seen what’s happened to Sibley...

In terms of the loanees, again neither Mengi or Baningime have made enough senior appearances for any of us to have much clue how good they are just yet. Even Edmundson, unless you’re an avid viewer of lower league football, I doubt anyone has seen enough of to properly judge yet - I certainly haven’t. It’s only really Roberts and Gregory with any past record to go off. Personally I was very excited by Roberts when we signed him based off his previous wonderkid reputation, and the fact that Man City signed him, which is usually a good sign. I still think he’s got big potential to be one of the best wingers in this division, but sadly right now that’s all it is, potential. Still a lot of work to do. And Gregory... well, I’ve always thought he was a bit crap, and nothing I’ve seen so far has changed my mind. Totally unsuited to what we need, but hopefully he proves me wrong.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Watson, the latest Academy messiah.

I’m all for bringing the youth through but I think putting a lot of expectation on him based on a couple of cameos is unhelpful. Even Rooney said he was our best player, thus raising the expectation higher.

I would have preferred Rooney kept his praise private for now.

As it is folk on here are clamouring for him to start. Our other messiahs are struggling a bit, Knight, Buchanan, Bird and Sibley. I’d give Louie a few more cameos then put him into a winning team, if possible, not look to him as the one to get us out of it.

More senior players and former messiahs need to step up.

13 hours ago, Ramarena said:

Good question. I think they work as a back three especially with wizzy being able to step out and drive forwards.

Between the two it’s a tough call. Wiz is regularly called out on his heading and his concentration which can be an issue. But I think he’s more progressive with the ball than what I’ve seen from Edmundson. 

Od probably rotate the two, Edmundson when we’re against the poo house teams and wiz when we’re more likely to be on the front foot.

Just to make this even more complicated... I think the problem is that poohouseteams and teams that allows us to be on the front foot are the same ones!

11 hours ago, JayRam1 said:

The best thing to come from them loanees is the fact we can write them off our shopping list in the summer, saying that the recruitment team will probably pick them out again for us to sign. Shambles of a recruitment team.

I like this attitude. About time we blame our scouting team for next summer's recruitment.

59 minutes ago, Coconut said:

The Academy Messiah who only actually played a handful of games for our academy and only really impressed in one of those, his debut, without looking any better than any other player in the rest of the games.

Yes that’s the one.

15 hours ago, Ramarena said:

Just thinking about the impact that young Louie Watson has made in the last few games in comparison to the 5 loanees we’ve bought in.

Louie Watson - released by West Ham last Summer. Picked up for our U23 squad. Our youth scouts do seem to be able to spot a player.

8 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

Louie Watson - released by West Ham last Summer. Picked up for our U23 squad. Our youth scouts do seem to be able to spot a player.

It was Gary Bowyer who spotted Watson.

I want us to Sign roberts and beni and edmunson on permanent basis. Roberts looks class and with some guidance could be sensational. Beni is a solid squad player and won’t be expensive. Edmundson could be a great cb aswell. 

14 hours ago, Abu Derby said:

None of the loan players are of any use in our dire situation. We may as well not have bothered. 

couple of appearances each and for some a couple of different positions , hardly enough time to decide if they are useful or not

2 hours ago, 24Charlie said:

Watson, the latest Academy messiah.

I’m all for bringing the youth through but I think putting a lot of expectation on him based on a couple of cameos is unhelpful. Even Rooney said he was our best player, thus raising the expectation higher.

I would have preferred Rooney kept his praise private for now.

As it is folk on here are clamouring for him to start. Our other messiahs are struggling a bit, Knight, Buchanan, Bird and Sibley. I’d give Louie a few more cameos then put him into a winning team, if possible, not look to him as the one to get us out of it.

More senior players and former messiahs need to step up.

Indeed.....but at the moment it looks like they can’t/won’t.

He’s certainly not the messiah, he’s actually gone under the radar to an extent.

But things are so bad with the senior players Watson deserves a bit more game time given his performances, if the senior players were doing their jobs he would be getting the exposure he is at the moment.

I don’t want to see him starting every game, but at the moment he gives us something the senior players can’t and that the really worrying thing!

I wonder if Watson wouldn’t be as effective if he starts, but can impose himself on a game more in the last half hour when teams are starting to get a bit more leggy.

As for loanees, at the moment Menghi hasn’t done anything to impress me ( not saying there isn’t a player in there), Gregory has had no service at all, works hard, but we need more than this at the moment, not a way forward in signing him imo, Baningime I personally liked the look of when he played at Cardiff in an awful performance, one who personally who bring in to be around the first team squad, Edmundson, like others, think would become a decent player for us, if we could sign him, think he has done ok when played, probably just needs a run and as for Roberts, starting to Wonder if he is a bit of an enigma, people look at him because he is a Manchester City player, wasn’t a regular at Boro, potential and ability yes, but no club has got the best out of him. Also let’s not forget that they have come into a club that is struggling on and off the field, not an easy situation to come in and play, and also none of the players when they came in had much game time, maybe their impact is lessened because of this.

Certainly  next game personally think we need Sibley/Watson in the side or how about playing Roberts up front buzzing around king Colin, something a little more forward thinking,Barnsley will come at us, but also play the ball along the ground, I certainly would rather lose 3-2 having a right go than 2-0 sat back, who knows more positivity in our play may lead to more victories. Up the Rams

2 minutes ago, Jase116 said:

I wonder if Watson wouldn’t be as effective if he starts, but can impose himself on a game more in the last half hour when teams are starting to get a bit more leggy.

As for loanees, at the moment Menghi hasn’t done anything to impress me ( not saying there isn’t a player in there), Gregory has had no service at all, works hard, but we need more than this at the moment, not a way forward in signing him imo, Baningime I personally liked the look of when he played at Cardiff in an awful performance, one who personally who bring in to be around the first team squad, Edmundson, like others, think would become a decent player for us, if we could sign him, think he has done ok when played, probably just needs a run and as for Roberts, starting to Wonder if he is a bit of an enigma, people look at him because he is a Manchester City player, wasn’t a regular at Boro, potential and ability yes, but no club has got the best out of him. Also let’s not forget that they have come into a club that is struggling on and off the field, not an easy situation to come in and play, and also none of the players when they came in had much game time, maybe their impact is lessened because of this.

Certainly  next game personally think we need Sibley/Watson in the side or how about playing Roberts up front buzzing around king Colin, something a little more forward thinking,Barnsley will come at us, but also play the ball along the ground, I certainly would rather lose 3-2 having a right go than 2-0 sat back, who knows more positivity in our play may lead to more victories. Up the Rams

It’s a good question and being an impact sub may be his best role in the near future. I suppose till he starts a game we won’t find out the level of his influence over the course of a whole game 

5 minutes ago, Jase116 said:

At the moment Watson seems to have pushed himself ahead of Sibley. Sibley not having a good season at all so far.

55 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Edmundson looks good.

the rest haven’t impressed me, but then Roberts is parked on the wrong wing.

Just curious as to why you think Roberts is on the wrong wing? Footballs changes a lot since Micklewhite, Callaghan, McMinn etc went on the outside and whipped balls in. 4-3-3 wide men often cut in on there favoured foot - inverted forwards. Think Roberts has potential to play anywhere on both sides or as a 10. 

Archived