Louie Watson and the 5 loanees

Ramarena

Just thinking about the impact that young Louie Watson has made in the last few games in comparison to the 5 loanees we’ve bought in.

He’s bright, positive, tries to find forward passes and works hard to create options for his team mates. 

Its actually quite remarkable that he’s made a bigger impact than more experienced pros and highly rated Prem youngsters that have joined us.

Of the loanees the only one to impress in anyway is Edmundson who’s looked a decent rotation option.

Gregory looks like an average champ striker struggling for form.

Bangingime looks like he could have some potential but not really the type of midfielder we need.

Mengi has looked way out of his depth 

Roberts has shown some good technical skill but is very lightweight for this division and seems to struggle in the final third.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would have wondered whether Watson was too lightweight, but Coventry have a number of young players too,so it wasn’t a problem. 
Roberts is a disappointment but of course we play him on the wrong wing so we shouldn’t really be surprised that he heads infield and doesn’t cross it.  
I do like the look of Edmundson but Mengi is out of his depth. Could our own u23s really be any worse?

12 minutes ago, Ramarena said:

Just thinking about the impact that young Louie Watson has made in the last few games in comparison to the 5 loanees we’ve bought in.

He’s bright, positive, tries to find forward passes and works hard to create options for his team mates. 

Its actually quite remarkable that he’s made a bigger impact than more experienced pros and highly rated Prem youngsters that have joined us.

Of the loanees the only one to impress in anyway is Edmundson who’s looked a decent rotation option.

Bangingime looks like he could have some potential but not really the type of midfielder we need.

Roberts has shown some good technical skill but is very lightweight for this division and seems to struggle in the final third.

Would you play Edmundson instead of Wisdom or as part of a back 3?

Just now, Jimbo Ram said:

Would you play Edmundson instead of Wisdom or as part of a back 3?

Good question. I think they work as a back three especially with wizzy being able to step out and drive forwards.

Between the two it’s a tough call. Wiz is regularly called out on his heading and his concentration which can be an issue. But I think he’s more progressive with the ball than what I’ve seen from Edmundson. 

Od probably rotate the two, Edmundson when we’re against the poo house teams and wiz when we’re more likely to be on the front foot.

22 minutes ago, Ramarena said:

Of the loanees, I would only say Mengi looks an ordinary signing at present & some way off this level. That said I remember Tomori starting badly & that turned out OK.

Baningime looks a good player & was probably MOM on Tuesday, I think he looks a better alternative at DCM than Shinnie currently. Roberts clearly has potential but is being played in the wrong position...I think he's a number 10, would cause more damage there & create space for wide men to play. Gregory (like CKR) is getting absymal service so is struggling to impress but has already scored for us & got into good positions for other chances. Edmundson (like Baningime) looks a good player & has a good case to start.

Dont disagree about Louie Watson though. I like his mobility & bravery on the ball, two things we are missing in the side. I'd like to see him get a start soon.

15 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Of the loanees, I would only say Mengi looks an ordinary signing at present & some way off this level. That said I remember Tomori starting badly & that turned out OK.

Baningime looks a good player & was probably MOM on Tuesday, I think he looks a better alternative at DCM than Shinnie currently. Roberts clearly has potential but is being played in the wrong position...I think he's a number 10, would cause more damage there & create space for wide men to play. Gregory (like CKR) is getting absymal service so is struggling to impress but has already scored for us & got into good positions for other chances. Edmundson (like Baningime) looks a good player & has a good case to start.

Dont disagree about Louie Watson though. I like his mobility & bravery on the ball, two things we are missing in the side. I'd like to see him get a start soon.

I think the problem with Baningime is exactly as you mention, he’s too similar too shinnie and arguably knight, even if he’s slightly better.

We needed a midfielder that offered more creativity in the final third, not more of the same.

I really like Shinnie and what he offers but I see his limitations too. If we can replace him with better then great, but other areas are a bigger priority for me.

On Roberts I see potential but I also see a player who’s quite similar to Lawrence but even more lightweight (if that’s possible)

A lot of the problems stem from not being creative enough at times. 

I believe the answer is to do with not moving forward fast enough but we shouldn’t do that  by simply hoofing the ball. 

Wayne just has to persevere and work on the training ground to get it right 

Louie Watson wouldn’t be a gamble as I mean what’s to lose because Shinnie,Knight, and Bird are good players but the combination doesn’t create enough forward. 

Let’s just hope for the best going forward.

I don’t think our loanees came with any clauses to play.  Being around a first team squad will probably be more than they get at their own clubs.

They’ve had chances, sampled the Championship, now it’s up to them to convince Rooney they’re better than our own youngsters at the moment.

The boy Watson seems very forward thinking, but with that surname he’s bound to be a star, it elementary init.

The way the teams set up the moment means no attacking player is going to flourish, they have no service. Whether its Gregory, Roberts or any of our permanent players. Can you name any attacker we have whose looked good? (except maybe CKR, but I'd still say he's struggled a lot of games).

I agree Edmundson looks decent

I also agree Baningime and Mengi look too inexperienced and are probably just to cover injuries.  

I still think Roberts looks like he could offer something we don't have and could be affective If we can find a way to create space for him.

As for Watson, I wouldn't be surprised if he starts the next game. But what's happened to Sibley? He and Watson are just the kind of players we need at the moment.

The best thing to come from them loanees is the fact we can write them off our shopping list in the summer, saying that the recruitment team will probably pick them out again for us to sign. Shambles of a recruitment team.

3 hours ago, RamNut said:

I would have wondered whether Watson was too lightweight, but Coventry have a number of young players too,so it wasn’t a problem. 
Roberts is a disappointment but of course we play him on the wrong wing so we shouldn’t really be surprised that he heads infield and doesn’t cross it.  
I do like the look of Edmundson but Mengi is out of his depth. Could our own u23s really be any worse?

Roberts is a RW though. 

It doesn't help playing him RM in a 4-4-2 as well.

Archived