Who introduced you to Derby County?

Day

Dad was a Forest fan but had no interest in them, i didnt really have a team as a kid. It wasn't until I was 13 or so ( 2003ish) a mate of mine took me to a few games. God knows how I got hooked because we were absolutely rubbish the games I went to!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Riggott family. When we moved to the area my family and theirs became family friends.

Riggots uncle took me, my brother and dad to my first match.

About 3 years later, my first away match was being taken by Riggotts dad and a couple of his older brothers on new years day.

We got tonked by the champions 3 -0 at Goodison.

Me mate's Dad took us to a Rams V Everton match in 69/70... I was 9....we parked in Allestree, got a bus into town and walked through crowded streets to the ground. We squeezed in down the front of the Ossie End, It was packed, Everton were the top team then, may well have been the season they won the league.

Derby were magnificent, great, great game of top class football played in front of nearly 40,000. Atmosphere was unbelieveable.

Loved every second of it, fell in love with DCFC and the Baseball Ground that day.

My dad was a Forest fan, went all over the place watching them until he started a family then he grew up. He took me to a few Forest games and a Notts County game against Liverpool in the old first division around 1983? but nothing took.

Then he took me to a Derby match as we lived in Derby. They played Bristol City and I think it was the old second division? I'm sure we won but can't really remember. My main memory of the game was John Gregory being pushed into the dugout by one of their players and him turning round and throwing the bucket full of water over their player! I've mentioned this to loads of people but no-one else can remember it. I was about 9 so not sure if my memory invented this???

My brother started taking me in the early 60's when i was 6/7. Can't recall what my first match was but can clearly remember Reg Matthews in goal and Gordon Hughes on the wing plus Ian Buxton and standing in the first tier of the Ossie end.

He used to take me on the back of his moped - he is 10 years older than me. My mum insisted that i wore his crash hat - she didn't realise it was five sizes too big and had a big hole in it covered up with tape.

i first took my son when he was 4 - away match in Watford cos we lived in St Albans then. We lost and he cried when all the Rams fans cheered when Mark Pembridge scored.

My brother still goes and my son has a season ticket with me now

My first game was Derby 2-1 Wigan, FA Cup third round (2005). Also Dad's first game for over 20 years because he moved to Liverpool for me mam. Now we're both season ticket holders and he regrets not getting me into football when I was a kid.

Derby had me the second I got to the top of those stairs and I looked out across in sheer awe at the ground. That was the best view I've ever seen. (And thats above the view from the Empire State building, and seeing the Statue of Liberty for the first time.) Standing, looking out over Pride Park I felt was the start of something special...and I thought wrong. Ha.

None of my family have any interest in football at all, my Dad wouldn't know David Beckham if he was sat next to him.

So I went with my dads work mates, as a 7 year old, I had to stand outside the windmill or the Grange with a bottle of pop and a bag of pork scratchings, silk scarf tied around my wrist talking reading the Ram newspaper.

happy happy days... a lifetime of memories......one or two of them even good memories...

My Dad's fairly anti-football and so's his side of the family.

But my mums side are all football friendly and my uncle took me to my first derby game, with my Palace supporting Grandad, which was against Palace in 04.We went 1-0 down in the 1st half, but in the last 20 minutes we came back to win.

I was still unsure but then he took me to Derby v Millwall, where we needed to win to stay up. Adam Boulder knocked in the first after 4 minutes and then with about 15 to go Marco Reich scored a cracking free-kick to keep us up. I remember at the final whistle, Reichs wife was sitting several rows behind us (we were in the west stand) and he came up the stairs, and being the west stand, instead of mobbing him everyone just patted him on the back. Then we went on for the pitch invasion.

I've been a Ram through thick and thin ever since 'http://www.dcfcfans.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

my dad took me in 1983 and haven't missed a season since, he used to work for them so always sat in c stand until i was old enough to go round pop side with my mates.

Had to blood my kids in the same way and i hope they carry that one when they have their own!!!

I was a 10 year old Liverpool fan, got invited to a Derby match, November 21st 1992 vs Sunderland, lost 1-0, simmo missed a open goal, a young ginger lad got lots of abuse his name was Tommy Johnson. Been a Derby fan ever since, my mate was sick on the pop side.

I have my dad to blame, he's not what you would call a massive fan nowdays, not sure he could even name the full Derby squad to be honest. When I was a little nipper he took me to the BBG quite a few times, night games were the best, a bus into town then walk through Normanton stop off at the chippy on the way and flick through the pictures of the matchday programme. Quality nights they were.
what took you to Grimsby?

Archived