The worst Premier League team in history

maxjam

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, rusgb said:

Good share. You're right. It could be worse. 

Lol. Being in the Prem is worse than where we are now? We were the worst of an elite league - how many teams were below us in the football pyramid?

I though the next season with Jimmy Jewel felt much worse, there was no 'glory' then at all.

So glad Kenny Miller got that goal otherwise we would have been officially the worst football league team ever. On reflection the promotion season was strange. Plenty of 1-0 wins without ever really dominating games. A lucky second leg semi final (og and missed penalties) + how ever did we win the final?

42 minutes ago, TimRam said:

So glad Kenny Miller got that goal otherwise we would have been officially the worst football league team ever. On reflection the promotion season was strange. Plenty of 1-0 wins without ever really dominating games. A lucky second leg semi final (og and missed penalties) + how ever did we win the final?

Karma repaid us against QPR. 

Buggers. 

9 minutes ago, Derby_Dave said:

Karma repaid us against QPR. 

Buggers. 

Yeah I have often though that - lost one we thoroughly deserved to win, won one we shouldn't have.

By that token we must be due and extraordinarily good PL season the next time we're there!

Despise when we are referred to as 'County'.

In other news, I don't know why we remain so fixated on 07/08. The story is written, most know it better than their own life story. And it was but one season, those who lived through the slow tortured fall from grace in the late seventies and early eighties will tell you that was far, far more painful than watching the inevitable play out like it did in that one season.

2 hours ago, maxjam said:

For those that don't remember all the gory details or simply want to relive the lows of 'that' season...

rather not be reminded as it was bad enough at the time, and getting reminded by the irish red dogs regular on the flight over causes issues , with covid stopping us being at games flying over for games... i actually miss the 'banter' now 

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

Lol. Being in the Prem is worse than where we are now? We were the worst of an elite league - how many teams were below us in the football pyramid?

I though the next season with Jimmy Jewel felt much worse, there was no 'glory' then at all.

I remember getting a lot of stick that season from friends, the banter was bad. The one positive of being a hermit during the past 12 months has been the limited negative banter. I have literally not seen a red dog in 12 months, that has to be a positive. 

1 hour ago, TimRam said:

“Plenty of 1-0 wins” not like this season though eh.........? And incidentally we had exactly the same amount of 1-0 wins as Birmingham did. 
you should re watch that play off final, we never look like losing It. We finished 8 points above West Brom and beat them twice that season, that’s how we deserved to go up. 

6 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

“Plenty of 1-0 wins” not like this season though eh.........? And incidentally we had exactly the same amount of 1-0 wins as Birmingham did. 
you should re watch that play off final, we never look like losing It. We finished 8 points above West Brom and beat them twice that season, that’s how we deserved to go up. 

One thing that often gets overlooked in that games are the tackles (not one but two) that Mears did on Koumas. He took the ball off his toes inside the penalty box (one inside the six yard box iirc). Very high tariff, but executed to perfection.

I agree, btw, it was hardly a smash and grab raid. Pretty even game, any side could have won it but ultimately we took our chance.

57 minutes ago, maxjam said:

Yeah I have often though that - lost one we thoroughly deserved to win, won one we shouldn't have.

By that token we must be due and extraordinarily good PL season the next time we're there!

I actually disagree with that, not be to contentious mind - I thought the game against the Baggies was very even but against QPR after they got the player sent off we huffed and puffed a lot.

Still think that if Russell hadn't have been brought down then he would have missed the 1 on 1 anyway given his normal profligacy but we'll never know I guess. 

3 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

I actually disagree with that, not be to contentious mind - I thought the game against the Baggies was very even but against QPR after they got the player sent off we huffed and puffed a lot.

Still think that if Russell hadn't have been brought down then he would have missed the 1 on 1 anyway given his normal profligacy but we'll never know I guess. 

TBH its lost in the mists of time for me, I just vaguely recall feeling lucky with the result. 

Its not burned into my memory like the QPR one...

23 minutes ago, Chris_Martin said:

Sheff Utd on course to beat that record this season. There's still hope!

I still don't think Sheffield United are anywhere near our levels of incompetence and ineptitude as a group of players which will take some beating as a team to grace the Premiership regardless of whether they manage to overhaul our dismal points total. 

13 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

I still don't think Sheffield United are anywhere near our levels of incompetence and ineptitude as a group of players which will take some beating as a team to grace the Premiership regardless of whether they manage to overhaul our dismal points total. 

Yep completely agree with you but in 20 years time all people will see is the stats. And statically Sheff Utd could still go down as the worst.(just have to hope they don't look into goal difference?)

I’ve said this many times, our stats bear out worse than we were. We had lots of dodgy decisions and bad luck. Ultimately being unable to score affected us massively. But performances against Bolton twice, Fulham twice, Newcastle twice, Birmingham, Sunderland, Man City away, Man United, Chelsea AND Liverpool at home, Portsmouth at home, were decent performances even if results don’t show it. I seen to recall the east upper singing “we’re proud of you” to the tune of Auld Lang Syne too! 

Just now, Mostyn6 said:

I’ve said this many times, our stats bear out worse than we were. We had lots of dodgy decisions and bad luck. Ultimately being unable to score affected us massively. But performances against Bolton twice, Fulham twice, Newcastle twice, Birmingham, Sunderland, Man City away, Man United, Chelsea AND Liverpool at home, Portsmouth at home, were decent performances even if results don’t show it. I seen to recall the east upper singing “we’re proud of you” to the tune of Auld Lang Syne too! 

Reading at home is the one I remember, the players had already got their minds on their holidays.  An awful performance against an also relegated team.

I do recall the Chelsea game,  wasn't barnes clearly fouled in the lead up to Chelsea's first goal.

Probably best remembered for Billy's outburst at the board afterwards. 

Just now, Sith Happens said:

Reading at home is the one I remember, the players had already got their minds on their holidays.  An awful performance against an also relegated team.

I do recall the Chelsea game,  wasn't barnes clearly fouled in the lead up to Chelsea's first goal.

Probably best remembered for Billy's outburst at the board afterwards. 

Perfectly good goal disallowed too. 

Archived