Mum's Cooking

sage

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
54 minutes ago, sage said:

That looks amazing. My lad doesn't like Roast Beef and it's no point cooking it just for myself.

Get a small joint and have the rest cold with chips, peas and tomato sauce the next day. Lovely.

Edit: I've just googled 'cold beef and chips' and it's come up with nothing. Perhaps this is just a peculiar family tradition.

54 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Get a small joint and have the rest cold with chips, peas and tomato sauce the next day. Lovely.

Edit: I've just googled 'cold beef and chips' and it's come up with nothing. Perhaps this is just a peculiar family tradition.

That is what I did at xmas. Had a joint (beef not weed), sliced it up and reheated Boxing Day with veg and sandwiches on the 27th.   

I'll take your mum's Midland Hotel, and raise you with "My mum used to work at The Savoy".

...OK... when I say "raise", I must point out this was back in the '70's, before McTurks moved in next door, but hey, it was still The Savoy... And I had access to as many batter bits as I could handle!  ?

So did my mum for about 5 years from 1962. My brother and myself also worked there on a Saturday morning, making the chips in a big potato chipper machine, as well as the mushy peas - just don't ask what fell into the mushy peas pot!!!

The owner also owned the 'Shaftesbury' fish restaurant(?) six doors down, next to the pub, and we had to carry buckets of uncooked chips as they didn't have a chipper.

Pocket money and a fish & chip lunch before heading to the BBG to watch the Rams - what more could a teenager want? No smutty answers to that comment, as I was a very naive boy!!!

We had so much free fish we grew gills.

p.s. my daughter also worked there during one summer school holiday in the 1990's.

My mum doesn't really cook much, Christmas dinner, given, and maybe occasionally will make some fajitas (nearly) from scratch but I've learned nothing from her. My dad never cooked anything as far as I can remember.

Even when talking grandparents it was only ever really the basics - on the maternal side homemade chips & poached egg (Mrs Coconuts mum also does a cracking egg and chips)

My Dad's mum was actually a very good cook I believe but it's rare that I ate there - she is responsible for me liking salmon though, and I don't think I've ever had any as nice as when she used to do it pan-fried.

That's it really, it's no wonder I don't really do any proper cooking myself, it's never really been part of my life.

Sweet and sour pork chops was a speaciality, beef bourgonoin  was good, mother was a cordon bleu chef so had posh food for the 70s.

My late Nans baking was great ,made the best jam tarts, potatoe ash, and home made rice pudding. Oh how I miss my Nan.?

On 10/01/2021 at 15:00, ImARam2 said:

I'll take your mum's Midland Hotel, and raise you with "My mum used to work at The Savoy".

...OK... when I say "raise", I must point out this was back in the '70's, before McTurks moved in next door, but hey, it was still The Savoy... And I had access to as many batter bits as I could handle!  ?

So did my mum for about 5 years from 1962. My brother and myself also worked there on a Saturday morning, making the chips in a big potato chipper machine, as well as the mushy peas - just don't ask what fell into the mushy peas pot!!!

The owner also owned the 'Shaftesbury' fish restaurant(?) six doors down, next to the pub, and we had to carry buckets of uncooked chips as they didn't have a chipper.

Pocket money and a fish & chip lunch before heading to the BBG to watch the Rams - what more could a teenager want? No smutty answers to that comment, as I was a very naive boy!!!

We had so much free fish we grew gills.

p.s. my daughter also worked there during one summer school holiday in the 1990's.

Almost identical story here, but a little later.  Think I'd be 14/15, so around '77/'78?
The owners still owned both establishments.
I too helped out chipping the chips, and mushing the peas.
Was the chipper machine thing on the side of a bath?  I'm certain I'm not imagining that?  Carried through to the shop in very heavy (When full) Stainless Steel buckets.

The only difference being my experience was weekday evenings.  Take Away only at The Savoy.  No sit down area for the evenings, and the one down the road was only open in the day (I'll take your word for the name of that one... I truly can't remember).  I seem to recall the occasional helping out at the other one, maybe on a Saturday, but very rare.  Maybe only two or three times.  (Same for mum, so presume it was just to cover staff holidays?  Not her usual shift).

The Savoy officially closed at 10pm.  Mum would start cleaning up about 9:40.  The 10:02 from the bus station would pull up outside the door (not a recognised stop), and we'd leap on it at 10:03:30!  I can only presume it was the same driver every night, and he got free chips, but he'd always pull up and wait for mum to lock up... saved her waiting 30 mins for the next bus!  ?

21 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

Was the chipper machine thing on the side of a bath?  I'm certain I'm not imagining that?  Carried through to the shop in very heavy (When full) Stainless Steel buckets.

Yes, you're right - a big machine, then into the bath for a quick rinse before they were put in the buckets ready for the fryer. 

The 'Savoy' had two eating areas - downstairs towards the kitchen/chipping area, and upstairs, but that was closed after about 2.00pm. There was also a third floor where we'd go upto to eat our fish & chips and look out on to the Morledge and the open market opposite. 

The 'Shaftesbury' was a larger place with just a downstairs eating area.

The owner, Mr. Baggeley (?), also owned a small cafe on Tenant Street, and was an ex-policeman, and although all the staff in all three places were women, there was never any trouble because the 'Bobbies' on the beat would call in on there rounds and have a cuppa, or nip around the back and have something to eat.

My mum worked 3 or 4 days a week, usually up to 5.00pm, but the odd occasion to closing at 10.00pm, although as you have mentioned started cleaning down early. I have a very old, black & white photo somewhere of my mum standing in the Savoy chippy, which I'll try and find and put on the page.

Archived