Mum's Cooking

sage

34 minutes ago, TimRam said:

Mum is a great cook but I always remember her and Dad cooking Sunday roast dinner together. 'Pressure' cooker hissing away and the smell was amazing. Sitting down together to eat with brothers and me then feeling full aftwards before 'Star Soccer' started. Great times.

We would still be trying to eat apple pie complete with bullet proof pastry (my mum was not a great cook) by time Hugh Johns launched into voice.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My mum was a truly stupendous cook and always prepared fresh food even when here and dad were a young couple and money was tight. She could make better curries than most curry houses which was not something most lasses of Irish descent were known for, though her stews were fab too.

What she did insist on us eating on a regular basis however, was liver which I absolutely hated. It's good for you, she'd tell us and she was of course spot on. Weirdly, I love it now as long as it's served with a rich gravy and plenty of fried onions.

1 hour ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

What she did insist on us eating on a regular basis however, was liver which I absolutely hated.

If it ever opens again The Crispin at Great Longstone, near Monsal Head does great Liver and Bacon, rich onion gravy, mild mustard enhanced mash, sometimes with red cabbage done in a very special way.

5 minutes ago, FindernRam said:

If it ever opens again The Crispin at Great Longstone, near Monsal Head does great Liver and Bacon, rich onion gravy, mild mustard enhanced mash, sometimes with red cabbage done in a very special way.

Stop it! Salivating like a hungry puppy now. ?

4 hours ago, Eddie said:

My mum and granny worked in the kitchens at the Midland Hotel...

I'll take your mum's Midland Hotel, and raise you with "My mum used to work at The Savoy".

...OK... when I say "raise", I must point out this was back in the '70's, before McTurks moved in next door, but hey, it was still The Savoy... And I had access to as many batter bits as I could handle!  ?

2_RJ-R_TEM_011018Savoy_02JPG.jpg

My mum used to make a cracking chicken and ham broth. Unfortunately I never got the recipe off her before she passed away. Used to love devouring it on days like we're currently experiencing. 

She also made a great Sunday roast which my 3 sisters and I didn't fully appreciate at the time. We would beg her to make us bacon sarnies instead. Absolute sacrilege now I come to think of it. Although I enjoy both, a good Sunday roast takes some beating when done well.

8 hours ago, Boycie said:

Not as good as Belgium’s I’d expect?

Not come across many decent curries in Belgium. We did find a really good Indonesian restaurant in Leiden, Holland though.

Not everything is better in Belgium - just the beer (some might add chocolate and waffles, but I don't have a sweet tooth).

10 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

Due to the abundance of them in their garden, Grandma used to be always making Gooseberry Pie (We called the "Goose-Gogs", for some reason?  No idea why!)

Coupled with her world renowned wazzy custard, it was without doubt the worst pudding in the history of crap puddings!  

We used to call them goose gogs too.  I've no idea why either ?

51 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Not come across many decent curries in Belgium. We did find a really good Indonesian restaurant in Leiden, Holland though.

Not everything is better in Belgium - just the beer (some might add chocolate and waffles, but I don't have a sweet tooth).

Mount Gorkha in Bruges is a good one, but it is a bit of a hike from the Markt if you are staying right in the centre.

14 minutes ago, SIXTEEN AGAIN said:

Mount Gorkha in Bruges is a good one, but it is a bit of a hike from the Markt if you are staying right in the centre.

Thanks - I'll check it out. We hope to be going to Bruges in August (assuming that's in the aftertimes), and if so, we will be stopping at Hotel Academie, just by De Halve Maan brewery. It's just 5 minutes walk from there.

3 hours ago, Eddie said:

You've never had Barista Chocolate Quad?

Alas no. 

I did have a threesome once with twins who worked at the coffee shop though, so that’s close enough, no!

oh... and before anyone makes any wisecracks, yes, one of the twins did have a beard... but her brother didn’t!

10 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

My mum was a truly stupendous cook and always prepared fresh food even when here and dad were a young couple and money was tight. She could make better curries than most curry houses which was not something most lasses of Irish descent were known for, though her stews were fab too.

What she did insist on us eating on a regular basis however, was liver which I absolutely hated. It's good for you, she'd tell us and she was of course spot on. Weirdly, I love it now as long as it's served with a rich gravy and plenty of fried onions.

9 hours ago, FindernRam said:

As I stated earlier, my Mum is a terrible cook, but Liver and Mash was the one good thing she could cook, maybe it's an Irish thing?

Not had it since I left home 27 years ago, or roast Lamb for that matter. I keep slathering mint sauce on my Sunday dinner, just to keep some of the taste alive.

4 hours ago, Eddie said:

They do indeed have the best beer, chocolate, waffles, WW1 sites and the best footballer in the world in DeBruyne. 

If there restaurant and bar food was better, I go for a week or two instead of my 3 or 4 day expeditions.

12 minutes ago, Ramslad1992 said:

My nan used to make home made fish and chips... she would take me to the market to see the fish man.

My other nan still makes a banging lamb roast dinner.

Yeah skip a generation my Mum was uh well ok I guess but gran. The best Fish and chips from the fish man, liver and onions, home made stark and kidney pies with veg.

Desserts jam roll poly, suet puddings and not forgetting home baked egg custards that would outdo Birds any day. Made me a right fat git between 10-14! Good job I shed a bit once I started growing.

Sith Happens
13 hours ago, Eddie said:

We had a good one on the square where Pizza Hut is, just looked and doesnt look like is there anymore though..so not much help.

Sith Happens

My mum is quite a good cook, my grandma was awful.....apart from christmas puds...she was great at them, my mum got the receipe before she died and they are even better.

Archived