Jordon Ibe

Bubbles

2 hours ago, Leicester Ram said:

You’ve pulled that number out of your arse though? Absolutely zero indication he’s on anything noteworthy let alone one of the highest paid players at the club, as Athletic has said its meant to be mainly incentives based.

Bit of an irrelevant point to make.

I didn't come up with the number, I was quoting someone else. I didn't say he was on that money, I said "if" he was on that money. 

How is it irrelevant that we're paying someone who's not playing?

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, DCFClks said:

I didn't come up with the number, I was quoting someone else. I didn't say he was on that money, I said "if" he was on that money. 

How is irrelevant that we're paying someone who's not playing?

It's an amount deemed negligible to the club, even at a time of massive financial constraint, so I'm not sure why fans should be particularly bothered about it.

3 hours ago, Coconut said:

It's an amount deemed negligible to the club, even at a time of massive financial constraint, so I'm not sure why fans should be particularly bothered about it.

Derby County is a business, Ibe is an employee, same way that Tesco is a business and Sally on the Deli is an employee, I do all my shopping in Tesco, loyal, help pay the staffs wages so why am I not bothered what Sally on the Deli is earning? Why do I not go in there and criticise her cucumber slicing performance as I pay her wages?

Crude analogy maybe, as football is different, it's a sport where we travel up and down the country and become passionately invested in, I wouldn't go up to Tesco in Newcastle on a Saturday to try their crusty baguettes.

We look at players, say they haven't offered anything to us this season and we would have been better off investing the money in another player. 

I get that, it's understandable, it's the same with transfer fees. We crave for that number to say we could have signed him who went to their instead, our scouts are rubbish, sack the manager, sell the club.

Where it falls down is we have no idea how much any player is on or the real transfer fee and how it's been structured, some will run with figures taken from video games, but I'm not having it that they are accurate at all. I'm guessing 20k is the number Ibe is on in Football Manager this season? Not got the game to look, but really wouldn't surprise me.

We took a gamble on Ibe, hasn't paid off. Hindsight says we shouldn't have done it, but then I like the compassionate side the club has shown by standing by him as a human in a game that can be brutally harsh as it's financially motivated. 

He's only 25, despite missing a couple of years in the game I really do hope he gets his head and body together and get himself back on the pitch, would still love that to be at Derby.

32 minutes ago, David said:

Derby County is a business, Ibe is an employee, same way that Tesco is a business and Sally on the Deli is an employee, I do all my shopping in Tesco, loyal, help pay the staffs wages so why am I not bothered what Sally on the Deli is earning? Why do I not go in there and criticise her cucumber slicing performance as I pay her wages?

Crude analogy maybe, as football is different, it's a sport where we travel up and down the country and become pafsionalty invested in, I wouldn't go up to Tesco in Newcastle on a Saturday to try their crusty baguettes.

We look at players, say they haven't offered anything to us this season and we would have been better off investing the money in another player. 

I get that, it's understandable, it's the same with transfer fees. We crave for that number to say we could have signed him who went to their instead, our scouts are rubbish, sack the manager, sell the club.

Where it falls down is we have no idea how much any player is on or the real transfer fee and how it's been structured, some will run with figures taken from video games, but I'm not having it that they are accurate at all. I'm guessing 20k is the number Ibe is on in Football Manager this season? Not got the game to look, but really wouldn't surprise me.

We took a gamble on Ibe, hasn't paid off. Hindsight says we shouldn't have done it, but then I like the compassionate side the club has shown by standing by him as a human in a game that can be brutally harsh as it's financially motivated. 

He's only 25, despite missing a couple of years in the game I really do hope he gets his head and body together and get himself back on the pitch, would still love that to be at Derby.

The analogy doesn't really work because unlike Tesco Derby County operates on a loyalty basis not a competitive one. If staff performances were poor at tesco i.e., they were rude, the shop was poorly stocked, you had to wait a long time to be served you'd stop shopping there and go somewhere else. Derby fans don't have anywhere else to go- therefore when things are going wrong rather than switching brands we look internally to see how ours can be improved upon. 

2 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

The analogy doesn't really work because unlike Tesco Derby County operates on a loyalty basis not a competitive one. If staff performances were poor at tesco i.e., they were rude, the shop was poorly stocked, you had to wait a long time to be served you'd stop shopping there and go somewhere else. Derby fans don't have anywhere else to go- therefore when things are going wrong rather than switching brands we look internally to see how ours can be improved upon. 

As I said it was a crude one, fans could change teams, I'm sure it's happened for whatever reason. Even seen fans on here say I'm done with football, and whilst that's not the same as shopping at a different supermarket, you've ended that loyalty. 

I could also become a stakeholder in Tesco, take in interest in the brands they stock, wages they pay as it directly effects me, not the same way as seeing your team lift the FA Cup. 

Just now, David said:

As I said it was a crude one, fans could change teams, I'm sure it's happened for whatever reason. Even seen fans on here say I'm done with football, and whilst that's not the same as shopping at a different supermarket, you've ended that loyalty. 

I could also become a stakeholder in Tesco, take in interest in the brands they stock, wages they pay as it directly effects me, not the same way as seeing your team lift the FA Cup. 

Fundamentally it works differently though and part of the problem is seeing Derby County as 'just a business'. It's not that, it's actually much bigger and much more important than that. Emotional attachments to football clubs for the vast majority either massively dilutes or eradicates the competition element involved in businesses when thinking about 'brand loyalty'. The exceptions you've used prove the rule that the majority of Derby county fans don't just switch brands.  That's why people don't get upset if the Tesco manager gets paid well despite the store being poor as people will quickly just change shops but that is not an option for the vast majority football fans. 

If you became a stakeholder in Tesco's you'd no longer just be a regular shopper as in your previous example.  Even then, loyalty to a business you've invested in generally doesn't work the same way either. You may question internal management and get very angry at poor structures because it's losing you money. However, even though I was only 13 at the time,   I don't remember people standing by Northern Rock with their safety deposits or shares like fans do with clubs when they go through relegation. That's because they're operating in different spheres. 

2 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

Fundamentally it works differently though and part of the problem is seeing Derby County as 'just a business'. It's not that, it's actually much bigger and much more important than that. Emotional attachments to football clubs for the vast majority either massively dilutes or eradicates the competition element involved in businesses when thinking about 'brand loyalty'. The exceptions you've used prove the rule that the majority of Derby county fans don't just switch brands.  That's why people don't get upset if the Tesco manager gets paid well despite the store being poor as people will quickly just change shops but that is not an option for the vast majority football fans. 

If you became a stakeholder in Tesco's you'd no longer just be a regular shopper as in your previous example.  Even then, loyalty to a business you've invested in generally doesn't work the same way either. You may question internal management and get very angry at poor structures because it's losing you money. However, even though I was only 13 at the time,   I don't remember people standing by Northern Rock with their safety deposits or shares like fans do with clubs when they go through relegation. That's because they're operating in different spheres. 

I did say in my original post

Crude analogy maybe, as football is different, it's a sport where we travel up and down the country and become passionately invested in, I wouldn't go up to Tesco in Newcastle on a Saturday to try their crusty baguettes.

I do understand it's more than a business ? 

2 minutes ago, David said:

I did say in my original post

I do understand it's more than a business ? 

you also said this "Derby County is a business, Ibe is an employee, same way that Tesco is a business and Sally on the Deli is an employee I do all my shopping in Tesco, loyal, help pay the staffs wages so why am I not bothered what Sally on the Deli is earning? Why do I not go in there and criticise her cucumber slicing performance as I pay her wages?" which is why I was emphasising the point 

Just now, Leeds Ram said:

you also said this "Derby County is a business, Ibe is an employee, same way that Tesco is a business and Sally on the Deli is an employee I do all my shopping in Tesco, loyal, help pay the staffs wages so why am I not bothered what Sally on the Deli is earning? Why do I not go in there and criticise her cucumber slicing performance as I pay her wages?" which is why I was emphasising the point 

I did, but if you read on I argue that point with myself by making it clear I'm aware that it's more than just a business and why fans take an interest in fees and wages. 

2 minutes ago, David said:

I did, but if you read on I argue that point with myself by making it clear I'm aware that it's more than just a business and why fans take an interest in fees and wages. 

I don't really get your first reply to me then tbh but I'm happy to admit I misread your initial post if that's the case. 

8 hours ago, David said:

Would you be bothered if Sally had been off for a year and the deli had not been manned meaning you can’t get your sliced cucumber. Especially during a time when your favourite and local Tesco where you have been going for x Years Is struggling financially including not being able to pay its staff in certain months and having to prioritise resource. And sticking by Sally even though she can’t man the deli potentially blocks bringing in Sarah because they can’t afford it? 

Probably a worse analogy than yours, but I guess people are bothered because we have limited resources and wonder why we are using it for a resource that isn’t giving back, for whatever reasons that no one on here really knows. 

2 hours ago, TexasRam said:

Would you be bothered if Sally had been off for a year and the deli had not been manned meaning you can’t get your sliced cucumber. Especially during a time when your favourite and local Tesco where you have been going for x Years Is struggling financially including not being able to pay its staff in certain months and having to prioritise resource. And sticking by Sally even though she can’t man the deli potentially blocks bringing in Sarah because they can’t afford it? 

Probably a worse analogy than yours, but I guess people are bothered because we have limited resources and wonder why we are using it for a resource that isn’t giving back, for whatever reasons that no one on here really knows. 

That is a worse analogy than mine! ?

Wasn’t sure if it was an April fools at first, Sally wouldn’t take a year off, she goes to work to fund her nights out down the bingo hall

3 minutes ago, David said:

That is a worse analogy than mine! ?

Wasn’t sure if it was an April fools at first, Sally wouldn’t take a year off, she goes to work to fund her nights out down the bingo hall

She gets full pay while she’s not working so still can live the lifestyle she accustomed too..........now poor Sarah who’d be the number 1 cucumber slicer can’t slice, as Tesco can’t afford her and she’s stuck at that pooey corner shop, because Tesco are paying for Sally to sit on her bum. All this time there’s no sliced cucumbers at a time when your local Tesco bloody need it ??

Archived