New Manager

dantheram

2 minutes ago, DC-1975 said:

The original point was someone saying he'd bring through the young players if appointed. I was arguing that I hadn't seen that in either previous spell.

There’s probably an argument to be made that none of them were really good enough to break into the team. Lowe, Bennett and Hanson were the three I remember, but I don’t think any of them have been as good as the current crop coming through.

Not saying that he’d suddenly start picking the academy graduates but the past isn’t necessarily (although it could be) prologue.

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

From the latest The Athletic article:

"Being calm by nature wasn’t just a public front, the former Barcelona and Holland midfielder was also that way in private. Neither shouting nor the cliched throwing of tea cups were in his repertoire and could have been seen as not holding players to account. The task of fiery assessments was often left to Rooney.

The former Manchester United and England striker delivered a furious post-match team talk last season after Derby surrendered a 1-0 lead to lose 3-2 to then bottom-of-the-table Luton Town in late January. The Athletic understands Rooney delivered a similar speech in September following the 4-0 home thrashing by Blackburn Rovers."

Knowing your standpoint on both Cocu and Rooney, @RoyMac5, you probably think that's in Wayne's favour.

Truth is I don't know.

I do recall players who played under BC saying that whenever they had played badly and had expected a rollicking, they didn't get one. Other times when they came off the pitch buzzing over a performance, he laid into them over small things that they could have done better.

Then, on the other hand, TBE would lay into people, even physical assault if you believe Paulo W. Sir Alex is famous for his hair dryer and kicking boots at Posh Spice's husband.

Again, not saying which is the better approach - all managers have their own style. And you must take the whole package.

Another truth is....we will never really know what happens behind those closed doors. Or the effects of individual incidents or components.

Just now, Nuwtfly said:

Rooney and Co could be in charge for the next THREE games, according to John Percy, as the new owners may look to take over a fortnight to find their next manager...

It's not a massive problem. I'd much rather we appoint the right person and let the guys get on with the next three games. 

If we can get 4-6 points from the next three games then that wouldn't be a bad haul. We need to beat Wycombe, who come at the end of the three games and hopefully get points from Bristol and/or Middlesbrough. 

We will see how this plays out. 

3 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Rooney and Co could be in charge for the next THREE games, according to John Percy, as the new owners may look to take over a fortnight to find their next manager...

What did I tell you weeks ago. 

Mel said it was a joke on Talk Sport 

As a result, Rooney and the three coaches could also take the games against Middlesbrough next Wednesday and Wycombe the following Saturday. The 35 year old is a player-coach at Derby and likely to be considered as a contender by the new regime despite his lack of managerial experience, though there are others in the frame including Aston Villa’s assistant manager John Terry and Swansea’s Steve Cooper.

1 hour ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Although I don't think it'll happen (especially if Mel is still involved) I would say appointing him in our current situation makes far more sense than it did when we actually did appoint him.

1 hour ago, Hathersage Ram said:

I would love Pearson back. Fortunately Mel has finished with his tinkering on training ground tactics, and will probably not be the decision maker.

Pearson has an excellent record, and was never given the chance to really start what he wanted to do at Derby. 

I can't see it happening though, that's why he was not in my preferred 3 choices of who are either available or might possibly accept the job.

Considering I still remember some of the performances he got out of a squad that was more talented than the one we already have, I think I'll say no.  We played some awful stuff under Pearson.  We're talking late era Paul Jewell awful...

3 hours ago, GenBr said:

So he's going to move from a team with  parachute payments to a team that will only be able to pay him with a handful of magic beans?

It’s not quite that simple. The owners of the club are not spending money. In the last 3 seasons they have only bought 2 players, at a total cost of £3.8m. Virtually all new players have been frees or loans.  They have downgraded their Academy facilities.  Not sure if they have addressed their finances, but not a very picture was being painted earlier this year.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/dwindling-parachute-payments-bank-loans-17774746

Can’t imagine Cooper is on high wages, and he might be very interested in an opportunity which will involve youth and the ability to spend  a little cash. It seems like a sensible next step to me (with no disrespect to Swansea as a club).

4 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

It’s not quite that simple. The owners of the club are not spending money. In the last 3 seasons they have only bought 2 players, at a total cost of £3.8m. Virtually all new players have been frees or loans.  They have downgraded their Academy facilities.  Not sure if they have addressed their finances, but not a very picture was being painted earlier this year.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/dwindling-parachute-payments-bank-loans-17774746

Can’t imagine Cooper is on high wages, and he might be very interested in an opportunity which will involve youth and the ability to spend  a little cash. It seems like a sensible next step to me (with no disrespect to Swansea as a club).

Sounds promising. I like the way Swansea play - that was in place before Cooper but he has maintained that style.

My thought though is that is he the "big name" that would appeal to a new owner who has just bought himself a new toy.

"So cousin, we have got Pep Guardiola as our manager. Who are you going for?"

27 minutes ago, DC-1975 said:

I'd argue that Hendrick and Hughes were already established 1st team players. He also dropped Hughes in both spells.

Can't remember Bennett getting much game time other than in the Ipswich game 4-4.

Thomas and Calero only in cup games. All managers play youth in cup games now days.

He did give Lowe a run, but would he if Forsyth had been fit? Doubtful

Mac came in and revitalised our academy, Nigel Clough seems to get the plaudits but it was Mac that came in and said if you want good players we need a lot more investment and infrastructure in the academy and basically told the club that the players we have in the academy coming through are no where near good enough. End of that season we basically emptied our more senior academy teams and focused on getting the best talent from around the country not just the county.  He was right nearly none of the previous years set graduates until Bogle have done anything of note. Now we have a conveyor belt of talent coming through and one of the best academy set ups in the country.

He didn’t play them because there was no one to play, instead we took young players on loans or bought from premier league teams ie Dawkins/Ibe/wisdom/Bamford/Butland/Omar Mascarell/Thorne/Ince/Christie/Michael Keane/Lingard/Roos. 

Mac liked a balance of youth and experience. Yes he signed Nugent and Bent too but youth was at the core, and his aspirations for the academy have set it on its way. He did play Lowe/Bennett/Hanson out of the academy too but none of them really looked all that good, Lowe looks good but I think it was good business in the end 

9 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

He still can't buy players here though. If he is unhappy at Swansea sure he could jump ship. We bring players in, but we usually have to sell to to buy. That may change under the new owners, but we still aren't going to be Man City over here at the bottom of the Championship.

Just now, GenBr said:

He still can't buy players here though. If he is unhappy at Swansea sure he could jump ship. We bring players in, but we usually have to sell to to buy. That may change under the new owners, but we still aren't going to be Man City over here at the bottom of the Championship.

Can’t argue with any of that, but you have to imagine that new owners will be trying to get money into the club somehow.  Even if he has some budget (through wheeler dealing) that seems to be more than he is getting at Swansea. £800k for Jamal Lowe has been his only spend, whilst big clubs like Liverpool and Chelsea have been happy for him to develop some of their good youngsters.

4 hours ago, nottingram said:

Ultimately, over the last c. 10 years, we have hired a number of different managers with differing styles.

The best spell came under a manager who pretty much no one wanted, who’d been really poor at most places he’d been at recently. The worst spells came under someone who was considered by plenty at the time as the closest thing to a guaranteed promotion from this level (for some reason) and someone who had won multiple trophies in Holland.

The moral to this story is that no one really knows how the hire is going to go. We could hire someone who looks amazing on paper who is terrible, and someone who looks to not tick any boxes but who gets us on an amazing run. Probably best just to wait and see what happens once they’ve got their feet on the table.

That said, I’d be a bit uncomfortable with Rooney. Not because I don’t think he’d be good, I have no idea. But given the various news stories we have seen it would potentially add credence to the idea he was undermining Cocu. Giving the managers job to the captain who has played so far beneath himself this season, for whatever reason, would not be a great look.

Sort of Mackay following Clough ... that worked well enough .....until he was sacked of course.

Archived