Derby U23s VS Brighton: Matchday Thread

Ghost of Clough

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Ibe clearly isn’t fit yet, so good to see him hopefully getting some more minutes here. Sibley is obviously falling well out of first team favour too, he’s only getting a few minutes here and there at the moment. He still looks very raw, maybe a League One loan is in order. 

Didn’t realise Mitchell-Lawson was back either, I presume his loan at Bristol Rovers didn’t work out.

Honestly what I think he needs more than anything is a combination of more opportunity, a tactical switch so he isn't expected to carry all our attacking threat through the centre and quite frankly better coaching/management.

Interesting half; shape is all wrong - do you think Rooney has asked for Sibley and Stretton to play out wide or is it just a case of getting them some minutes wherever?

Hector-Ingram has totally lost his confidence from last season.

Looking at midfield I think we are short at CDM as neither Watson or Hutchinson is very defensive, and I know we are trying to reinvent Wilson as a midfielder but for me he doesn't look after the ball well enough. His brightest moment was when he drifted out onto the wing! 

Expecting us to get better as the game wears on as we usually do. Hope we see Ibe second half.

36 minutes ago, angieram said:

Sibley looking sharp but a bit greedy with the second one, should have put it across to JHI.

Been guilty of that a few times tonight. It is disappointing to see him not passing to players who have a better chance of scoring. 

6 minutes ago, rynny said:

Been guilty of that a few times tonight. It is disappointing to see him not passing to players who have a better chance of scoring. 

It's a hard adjustment mentally, I suppose. Too eager to show he's above the level.

4 minutes ago, rynny said:

I think it's a problem with the young players on the fringes of the first team squad as they are match rusty, aren't used to their under 23  teammates any longer and are playing to impress the first team coaches rather than to win the game in hand. It's a tough mix and I don't really like to see it but how else do you keep a big squad match fit? 

9 minutes ago, angieram said:

Interesting half; shape is all wrong - do you think Rooney has asked for Sibley and Stretton to play out wide or is it just a case of getting them some minutes wherever?

Hector-Ingram has totally lost his confidence from last season.

Looking at midfield I think we are short at CDM as neither Watson or Hutchinson is very defensive, and I know we are trying to reinvent Wilson as a midfielder but for me he doesn't look after the ball well enough. His brightest moment was when he drifted out onto the wing! 

Expecting us to get better as the game wears on as we usually do. Hope we see Ibe second half.

Spot on. Frustrating half. We didn't look fast enough getting forward and midfield wasn't really there. Our touch didn't look great compared to them either.

Hope Ibe has a little sparkle. ? #COYR

2 minutes ago, Rev said:

It's a hard adjustment mentally, I suppose. Too eager to show he's above the level.

2 minutes ago, angieram said:

I think it's a problem with the young players on the fringes of the first team squad as they are match rusty, aren't used to their under 23  teammates any longer and are playing to impress the first team coaches rather than to win the game in hand. It's a tough mix and I don't really like to see it but how else do you keep a big squad match fit? 

Agree, know that I'm being slightly harsh on him.

I think the disappointment comes from knowing that they are on the verge of the first team they(he) should be making decisions and show they are at the level above. 

3 minutes ago, angieram said:

I think it's easy to see in games as well. Sibley is a decent example of this but isn't alone, looks bright in a turgid midfield against Wycombe and then dropped there after. He was in similar situations early in the season. The message that quickly will set in is "If I don't score or make a goal from nothing then I'm out of the team" which obviously quickly translates to players not playing their natural games.

And even with not having a great season, name me a player who's played #10 this season and looked anything more than "fine".

56 minutes ago, angieram said:

I prefer Shaun Barker, he's been great the last few matches.

Have to disagree, I think Barker has been woeful. His analysis is very basic and doesn't provide much anecdotally either.  Seems to be an advocate for route 1 football and constantly reverts chat back to balls over the top or defending, perhaps i'm being unfair and that's the remit of his commentary/punditry? 

Genuinely preferred Ramage and that's saying something... ?

Archived