Derby U23s VS Brighton: Matchday Thread

Ghost of Clough

I think Watson looks bright and it was mentioned last night that he seems one of the closest to the first team, but that area is pretty stacked with youth in the first team already. Bielik, Bird, Knight, Sibley all under 23 and can play in that CM role. He played deeper last night, but had a couple of sloppy passes that put the defence under pressure, then some moments of brilliance. A bit more time and we could've signed a brilliant player from the West Ham setup.

Hutchinson has good first team experience in lower leagues already so can hold himself well against younger teams. I'd be interested to see what he can offer against Chorley in the cup, but again, he plays quite centrally and we seem well stocked in that area, although more choice is always nice to have.

Bardell needs a couple of seasons to mature into the RB role, but Archie Brown looks like he could step up as a wing back or winger. Defensively he makes poor choices and often relies on his individual skill to get him out of a situation he puts himself in. In the first team that is likely to be punished by better opposition.

JHI seems to have regressed since last season. Stretton seems a bit caught between the fringes of the first team and continuing his good form for the U23s. Hopefully this doesn't affect his development as he was really bright when he made his first team debut.

Interesting to see JML back. Seems like his Bristol Rovers loan hasn't worked out, which is a shame, he needs first team football at this stage and doesn't seem ready for us yet.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, roboto said:

I think Watson looks bright and it was mentioned last night that he seems one of the closest to the first team, but that area is pretty stacked with youth in the first team already. Bielik, Bird, Knight, Sibley all under 23 and can play in that CM role. He played deeper last night, but had a couple of sloppy passes that put the defence under pressure, then some moments of brilliance. A bit more time and we could've signed a brilliant player from the West Ham setup.

Hutchinson has good first team experience in lower leagues already so can hold himself well against younger teams. I'd be interested to see what he can offer against Chorley in the cup, but again, he plays quite centrally and we seem well stocked in that area, although more choice is always nice to have.

Bardell needs a couple of seasons to mature into the RB role, but Archie Brown looks like he could step up as a wing back or winger. Defensively he makes poor choices and often relies on his individual skill to get him out of a situation he puts himself in. In the first team that is likely to be punished by better opposition.

JHI seems to have regressed since last season. Stretton seems a bit caught between the fringes of the first team and continuing his good form for the U23s. Hopefully this doesn't affect his development as he was really bright when he made his first team debut.

Interesting to see JML back. Seems like his Bristol Rovers loan hasn't worked out, which is a shame, he needs first team football at this stage and doesn't seem ready for us yet.

When I saw he was coming on I was a bit miffed. Bristol Rovers are a poor side and, after a bright start there, JML couldn't force his way back in. 

He is a talented footballer but like Whittaker struggles with the physicality required in the championship. 

He played quite well last night but against Stoke and co would be muscled out of things. 

The player no one seems to mention is Jordan Brown? I think he’s solid. Makes good decisions and can play a variety of defensive positions in midfield, full back or centre back. Last night he was excellent.

I like Archie Brown. Has good feet, is quick and delivers a great cross. 

Stretton will be a threat to any defence at any level simply becomes his movement is to go in behind and he has pace to burn and can finish. I’d be shocked if he doesn’t score a championship goal this season. 

JHI I’m not so sure about. He’s as quick as Stretton but his game intelligence isn’t great and with some awareness last night we may well have equalised earlier if he’d squared it to Hutchinson. Mind you same could be said of Ibe who was very selfish with his decision making. 

Hutchinson has to be closest simply due to the fact he has 40 football league appearances under his belt most of them in league 1 where you’ll find the likes of Championship clubs like Ipswich, Sunderland, Portsmouth in a tough division. He is mobile and technically good and I’m surprised at 20 with his experience that he isn’t closer already to be honest.

Watson looks very bright, but looks far less consistent with his decision making. He’s a little rash and a little headless sometimes which would be picked off by senior players and played around. I’d think a full season with 23s then a loan next season would be his best pathway. 

Of the others, Ebosele looked great before his injury and ive always been impressed with Shonibare.

6 minutes ago, Ravabeerbelly said:

The player no one seems to mention is Jordan Brown? I think he’s solid. Makes good decisions and can play a variety of defensive positions in midfield, full back or centre back. Last night he was excellent.

I like Archie Brown. Has good feet, is quick and delivers a great cross. 

Stretton will be a threat to any defence at any level simply becomes his movement is to go in behind and he has pace to burn and can finish. I’d be shocked if he doesn’t score a championship goal this season. 

JHI I’m not so sure about. He’s as quick as Stretton but his game intelligence isn’t great and with some awareness last night we may well have equalised earlier if he’d squared it to Hutchinson. Mind you same could be said of Ibe who was very selfish with his decision making. 

Hutchinson has to be closest simply due to the fact he has 40 football league appearances under his belt most of them in league 1 where you’ll find the likes of Championship clubs like Ipswich, Sunderland, Portsmouth in a tough division. He is mobile and technically good and I’m surprised at 20 with his experience that he isn’t closer already to be honest.

Watson looks very bright, but looks far less consistent with his decision making. He’s a little rash and a little headless sometimes which would be picked off by senior players and played around. I’d think a full season with 23s then a loan next season would be his best pathway. 

Of the others, Ebosele looked great before his injury and ive always been impressed with Shonibare.

Welcome to the forum ?  Buckle up, and hold on tight.

49 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

When I saw he was coming on I was a bit miffed. Bristol Rovers are a poor side and, after a bright start there, JML couldn't force his way back in. 

He is a talented footballer but like Whittaker struggles with the physicality required in the championship. 

He played quite well last night but against Stoke and co would be muscled out of things. 

I think he would do well at this level plenty of pace, direct, does his defensive duties well and seems to have bulked up a little. 

His future may well be away from here but players with his pace are always sort after. 

8 minutes ago, Yani P said:

See the U18s are getting smashed by Man City today..

I know the City U18s are a very special bunch, with many touted future stars among them. It's a bit of a kick in the teeth for the Derby team though, not sure many of them would've been beaten that heavily at all in their career. 

On 15/12/2020 at 11:42, Anag Ram said:

Well just in my opinion I don't think JHI is a Derby first team player, nor Walker or Creswell. That's not to say they aren't good U23 players.

Hutchinson shows snippets but gives the ball away too much (that might still improve). 

I think Watson looks good, Stretton is good when played through the middle and we have a lot of good full backs. 

If Duncan is the player we think he is, he should make use of the space most U23 teams afford the opposition. 

The balance to the team has been unsettled with changes to which players are available almost on a daily basis. 

Nevermind the likes of Knight, Bird, Sibley, Buchanan and Whittaker being part of the first team, we also have McDonald, Stretton and Trialist as regulars in the squad. Duncan and JBrown among others have also been training with the first time regularly as well. To top it off, first team players need to drop down to regain match fitness from time to time as well.

To compound matters even worse, the above is forcing our and in fielding an unbalanced team, with Stretton and Sibley on the wings, Hutchinson and Watson as a midfield 2, etc...

We also have 5 keepers to choose from, with us rotating between 3 of them (6 different GKs named in squads this season). We should limit our first choice selection to just 2 (due to 1 being with the first team as 3rd choice GK on matchdays).

If we exclude the players in the first team squad, Duncan gets into our best 11.

Foster
Ebosele   Minkley   Wassall   Archie
JBrown   LThompson
Shonibare   Hutchinson   Wilson
Duncan

Subs: Idem, Bateman, Cashin, Dixon, Watson, Cresswell

To be honest, Duncan would be better playing off a CF (such as Stretton or Trialist) but we don't have the numbers to do that with what's available.

10 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

The balance to the team has been unsettled with changes to which players are available almost on a daily basis. 

Nevermind the likes of Knight, Bird, Sibley, Buchanan and Whittaker being part of the first team, we also have McDonald, Stretton and Trialist as regulars in the squad. Duncan and JBrown among others have also been training with the first time regularly as well. To top it off, first team players need to drop down to regain match fitness from time to time as well.

To compound matters even worse, the above is forcing our and in fielding an unbalanced team, with Stretton and Sibley on the wings, Hutchinson and Watson as a midfield 2, etc...

We also have 5 keepers to choose from, with us rotating between 3 of them (6 different GKs named in squads this season). We should limit our first choice selection to just 2 (due to 1 being with the first team as 3rd choice GK on matchdays).

If we exclude the players in the first team squad, Duncan gets into our best 11.

Foster
Ebosele   Minkley   Wassall   Archie
JBrown   LThompson
Shonibare   Hutchinson   Wilson
Duncan

Subs: Idem, Bateman, Cashin, Dixon, Watson, Cresswell

To be honest, Duncan would be better playing off a CF (such as Stretton or Trialist) but we don't have the numbers to do that with what's available.

It’s the old story of a team going along quite nicely then being massively disrupted by change.

We used to get it in amateur football. Reserve team doing well, gets to big games and hey-ho first teamers (ringers) get drafted in. They think they’re Billy Large Plums and don’t play for the team’s benefit and the whole thing falls apart. The good spirit built up evaporates.

It’s not an easy job being manager of the second team, in this case the U23s.

I think everyone wants to see Duncan get 90 minutes but Pat has done a great job so far and he will know the lad well by now. 

Like with the takeover, we will have to be patient.

Archived