Managerial candidates in order of preference

IslandExile

1 hour ago, RamNut said:

sometimes there is an obvious candidate. Right now - bottom of the league - we have to be pragmatic.
At the moment.....It has to be

mac3 - well regarded as a coach. built an entire team full of local products at mboro.
Not sure anyone else has ever done done that. 
https://www.mfc.co.uk/news/onthisday-in-2006-historic-day-for-academy-at-craven-cottage

(Middlesbrough: Turnbull, Davies, Bates, Wheater, Taylor, Morrison, Kennedy (Cooper 85), Cattermole, Christie (Walker 62), Graham (Craddock 81), Johnson. Subs Not Used: Knight, McMahon).

aidy boothroyd Interesting cv - sacked at Northampton who were bottom of the football league to england u21 manager. 
I prefer him since he got thicker lenses in his glasses. Similar to mac3 in many ways.

paulo wanchope - might be a good cop no2 who would a smile back on a few faces and lift the mood. 

Other notable mentions....but maybe not.

Mark robins -  has a good record with Coventry. Good track record developing young players. seems to play decent football. But why leave leave Coventry to come here? 
Tony mowbray - has a good eye for a player and tends to build attractive teams. Looks at least 50 years older than he is. Why leave blackburn to come here?

Slasher Jokanović - good with Fulham but probably earning a fortune elsewhere.

lee Johnson - gets some stick off Bristol fans - and fans tend to know. Nice bloke but....

and then there is.....

Rooney, Terry - why? Neither appeals in the slightest. 

Liam rosenior - should have already gone.

To me it looks odds on Rooney will get it which will leave me very disappointed. 

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Cook is available and ticks all of the boxes. Get him in as soon as the takeover is ratified?

There will be caravans, horses, and women selling pegs taking over the car park. 

1) Jokanović 

2) Howe

3) Cook

4) Wagner

5) Allardyce

...and way, way at the bottom of the list you've got Rooney, Terry and Lee Johnson.

I still can't get my head around why people want Rooney so much. 0 wins from the four games he's been "interim manager" and his press conferences couldn't inspire me to get out of bed, let alone play a game of football. We'll go down if we hire him, I think. 

42 minutes ago, Van Rammeister said:

It won’t be Paul Cook.

Reason is, that if it was to be him, he would have been appointed already as he is out of work.

I thought the logic was that no appointment was going to happen till after the takeover.

For me:

- Get the takeover done, just get it done, please get it done, for Gawd's sake get it done. The Sheikh has more than a history of being a tyre kicker and time waster, I am in the camp that this may well not happen and every other discussion is somewhat irrelevant until that is concluded.

- For the OP topic, I just want a manager. Someone who has managed a football club at this level or above before - like properly managed. Really, that's my only criteria.

10 hours ago, IslandExile said:

Jokanović.....2

Cooper..........5

Cook..............1

Wassall..........6

Rooney.........10

Benitez..........3

McClaren.......4

McCarthy

Bowyer...........7

Terry...............9

Wagner

Allardyce

Howe..............8

Johnson

Dyche 

Cowley

Hughes

My neighbour's grandmother's cat

Everyone else on the planet 

Gregory

....Pardew

I'd throw in Ryan Lowe and Xavi Alonso somewhere too.

52 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

I thought the logic was that no appointment was going to happen till after the takeover

Allegedly, yes.

I’d have thought though, given our precarious position it would have been a case of ‘needs must’ if it were to be Cook and it would have been done before now.

Personally, and I’m happy to be wrong, I can’t help but think it all points to Rooney being given it

For me just a list of who I don't want and that's anyone who we have had previously, especially Mac, he has had his chance(s).

We have tried so many methods over the years that no one is guaranteed success and I don't care if a manager doesn't speak well during press conferences, isn't a nice guy or has a CV that has multiple promotions on, all I'm hoping for is that they can do what many have failed at over the past years.

Dont particularly care if I don't like them either, Billy wasn't the most likeable man but he was the most successful for over 20 years.

1 hour ago, Van Rammeister said:

It won’t be Paul Cook.

Reason is, that if it was to be him, he would have been appointed already as he is out of work.

But I don’t think an appointment will be made until the takeover is ratified so the new manager could be anyone?

18 minutes ago, DeMontfortRam said:
  1. Allardyce
  2. Jokanović 
  3. Howe
  4. Wagner
  5. Cook
  6. Cooper
  7. Johnson
  8. McClaren
  9. Rooney 
  10. Terry

Has to be Big Sam ... we are in a full blown Dunkirk-stylee Relegation rescue job now.

I want to see his grumpy face in interviews after each dull 1- 0 wins start rolling in. 3pts ...

3pts ...

3pts ...

...safety...

and relax

21 minutes ago, WhiteHorseRam said:

Has to be Big Sam ... we are in a full blown Dunkirk-stylee Relegation rescue job now.

I want to see his grumpy face in interviews after each dull 1- 0 wins start rolling in. 3pts ...

3pts ...

3pts ...

...safety...

and relax

I wouldn't mind Big Sam. 

We need someone with experience who can generate belief in the players. 

We have enough good ones to see us safely out of this mess but when you go a long time without a win the jitters spread. 

Even Marshall, an experienced international who looked one of our best signings, suddenly looks vulnerable. 

Defenders look disoriented, the midfield runs around but can't find an incisive pass and the forwards have forgotten where to be to score a goal, let alone score one. 

Big Sam could offer the simple messages these players need. 

Sooner the better. 

37 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

So you'd be ok with either John Gregory or Alan Pardew?

Well, you can quote Ron Atkinson, Roy Evans or Dave Bassett if you want to go down that route. But, in essence, yes I would prefer any of them over someone who simply hasn't done it before - no matter how illustrious a coaching or playing career they have had.

And I would happily have Bobby Robson, Walter Winterbottom or Alf Ramsey (God bless them all) ahead of John Terry.

Archived