Is Rooney bigger than Derby County? (at the minute)

BBG83

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, Theres’s Only Wan Chope said:

Hasn’t Rooney been carrying a small injury early on this season?  Wasn’t he one of our threats last night, almost scored a couple. I am sure his best position is just behind a striker and I didn’t see an issue with Cocu playing him yesterday. 

Not talking about if he plays well or not. I'm asking if his presence is detrimental to the current manager (or any manager if that's his next path in football).

We all know that on form he's arguably the best playing in the Division, but he isn't just a player. He's a player/coach. The latter bit concerns me if his influence over players is either greater than Cocu's or that he's having zero influence by not being the leader Cocu expects him to be on the pitch.

The club shop refused to print Covid 19 on the back of my purchased shirt. I wondered why this was until recently? Then I realised.. Lately covid 19 is too good for this team never mind the has been/never was Rooney (only my opinion). Martin was not a young player. But he gave his all and put himself in the right places at the right times. Lawrence offers great movement, pace and skill. Sibley is young and already looks exciting. These are the players we need. Ones who belong and want to prove themselves. Rooney acts like a man who has nothing to learn and isn't willing to learn. Just waiting around so people can feed him the ball.. Looking for a free kick so he can get the odd goal here and there.. A goal that many of the young kids could have scored given the chance. I understand what Rooney has done in his career. But his capabilities now as player and coach at Derby County will never equate to those of his past. I think he has been the single most destructive thing to happen to the team. The talk is always Wayne not Derby. The Team! 

Of course he is. Ask someone random, anywhere in the world, if they’ve heard of Wayne Rooney - chances are they have. The same can’t be said for Derby County, nor Phillip Cocu for that matter.

Its not necessarily a bad thing though, especially if it helps attract investors and better quality players. The problem is his performances on the pitch.

Whilst Rooney isn't setting the world alight by his playing performances we have heard a few players singing his praises regarding training and in the dressing room. Now, Rooney may prove an awful manager or he may prove a great manager, we just don't know, but what we do know he gives the club a worldwide profile which might be attractive to new owners. I for one fully expect Rooney and a significant assistant to head Derby's next management team.

5 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Whilst Rooney isn't setting the world alight by his playing performances we have heard a few players singing his praises regarding training and in the dressing room. Now, Rooney may prove an awful manager or he may prove a great manager, we just don't know, but what we do know he gives the club a worldwide profile which might be attractive to new owners. I for one fully expect Rooney and a significant assistant to head Derby's next management team.

Agreed even though I wouldn't want it myself.

24 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

I for one fully expect Rooney and a significant assistant to head Derby's next management team.

I'm still not sure but I'd look forward to it. Like Lampard was seen as an intelligent man Rooney is known to have great 'football intelligence'. He's also passionate about the game.

I wondered about players that had gone on to be successful managers with little experience prior to a 'big' appointment, but I'm not very clued up and could only think of Pep. He had a season with Barca B team before he got the main job. So yeah why couldn't Wayne be successful! #COYR

What a loaded question this is, but yes: Wayne Rooney is bigger than Derby County at the moment. Mel has made decisions recently, commercial decisions, which have propelled us into the media spotlight more often than we would've done and arguably done so in order to sell the club.

It's worked. It's taken a couple of years, but it's worked. 

On 05/11/2020 at 09:47, CocuCrazyCocuMad said:

That's the feeling I get. Bigger than the manager and the reason why a Sheikh would even consider buying us.

Its a tell tale sign that there's even a rumour about Phil Jones dropping down to a team in our position from Man Utd.

Phil Jones would be finding his level should we have the misfortune of him signing for us? No disrespect to Phil but last his best,presumably high wages,no possible recoup of his wages / fee. We've only just got rid of dead wood and I suspect he would spend  more time being assessed for injuries than on the pitch.

16 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

Of course he is. Ask someone random, anywhere in the world, if they’ve heard of Wayne Rooney - chances are they have. The same can’t be said for Derby County, nor Phillip Cocu for that matter.

Its not necessarily a bad thing though, especially if it helps attract investors and better quality players. The problem is his performances on the pitch.

Everyone's heard of the titanic ?

Archived