Is Rooney bigger than Derby County? (at the minute)

BBG83

That's the feeling I get. Bigger than the manager and the reason why a Sheikh would even consider buying us.

Its a tell tale sign that there's even a rumour about Phil Jones dropping down to a team in our position from Man Utd.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Is it necessarily a bad thing though. If it provides traction to getting new investment into the club then isn't that a positive. 

I suppose if you look at it like that. But that's provided we are taken over. If not where does that leave us? With a manager we can't afford to sack who has a player that rules over him?.

No one will ever be bigger than Derby County , Weve been around a lot longer than Rooney will ever be .

With luck we,,ll be a round in the next ( HYPOTHETICALLY  SPEAKING )  500 years ....not that any of us will know ?

It's quite plausible  in Wayne's head he may think he's bigger than Derby County  but what goes through his head  is another matter 

29 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

He looked fit at last (no thanks Covid!). He looked our most dangerous player. He could easily 'do a job', for us up front, look at the way he linked with Joz. 

Ask instead why Cocu can't get the best out of him.

In my opinion , i dont think Rooney wants Cocu to succeed , hes smelt blood and a chance to get his foot on the managerial ladder and just like the last manager use us as a stepping stone to get to where the Rooney ego wants to land next .

Like i say just my opinion , but something about this football club and Rooney doesnt sit comfortable with me

20 minutes ago, Premier ram said:

In my opinion , i dont think Rooney wants Cocu to succeed , hes smelt blood and a chance to get his foot on the managerial ladder and just like the last manager use us as a stepping stone to get to where the Rooney ego wants to land next .

Like i say just my opinion , but something about this football club and Rooney doesnt sit comfortable with me

That's what I'm saying.

If we're taken over its the perfect springboard for Rooney. He's done nothing to deserve that and I feel like his presence is a problem for Cocu.

59 minutes ago, Premier ram said:

In my opinion , i dont think Rooney wants Cocu to succeed , hes smelt blood and a chance to get his foot on the managerial ladder

Ha! Only he doesn't have any badges and we are a total poison chalice right now. Plus he wants to keep playing! And after Lampard and Gerrard showing what high profile ex-footballers can do as managers I think Rooney will have his choice of easier clubs, probably ex-Prem. So I think you're very wrong.

2 hours ago, CocuCrazyCocuMad said:

That's the feeling I get. Bigger than the manager and the reason why a Sheikh would even consider buying us.

Its a tell tale sign that there's even a rumour about Phil Jones dropping down to a team in our position from Man Utd.

I think the suggestion Mel and co got him in to raise the profile and marketability of the club whilst trying to secure new investment is definitely valid. Regardless of his current performances and state of fitness, whether people think he’s been average or influential the one think he does bring is publicity and sponsorship and he massively raises the global profile of the club for people and investors overseas who would have probably otherwise never heard of us or wouldn’t consider investing. 

So in that sense, I think he’s a massive asset to us as a business. I’m not quite so sure he’s proving such an asset to us on the pitch at the moment. However, without him, we’d still be without a win!

4 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Ha! Only he doesn't have any badges and we are a total poison chalice right now. Plus he wants to keep playing! And after Lampard and Gerrard showing what high profile ex-footballers can do as managers I think Rooney will have his choice of easier clubs, probably ex-Prem. So I think you're very wrong.

We will see mate

He is the only one who looked even remotely close to scoring last night. Everyone else seems scared to shoot.

I've criticised him in the past and still think he holds the team back, but last night we would have been even worse without him.

58 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I'm not saying he wouldn't take it if offered, although 50-50. I just think he;s not the red-under-the-bed with an anti-Cocu agenda.

Thats fair enough mate , theres just something about this whole Rooney thing that im uneasy about , just my opinion but i think hes a big influence in the dressing room and some players may have had their heads turned , we will see how things pan out COYR

11 minutes ago, Premier ram said:

theres just something about this whole Rooney thing that im uneasy about , just my opinion but i think hes a big influence in the dressing room and some players may have had their heads turned

Bit of a difficult one to get around. He's towards the end of his career, he's also here as a coach - leaves plenty of room for 'what ifs'. #COYR

48 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

If anyone thinks that the fake sheik would even consider buying Derby County if we hadn't got Wayne Rooney then they are living in a fantasy land.

Hence the question. And from that answer I'd say Rooney is bigger than Derby County then.

Archived