Abu Derby County

tinman

1 minute ago, Mostyn6 said:

for me, I can define the roles of each. I criticised Mel for undermining Paul Clement by entering the dressing room. At the moment, I do not blame Mel for Derby being in the bottom 3. I think the coaching staff should be performing better. Appointing Cocu was a coup. 

In terms of selling the club, I'm not convinced. If Mel wants rid cos it's too much hassle, then fair enough, but if it's because he's taken it as far as he can, then I disagree. I have faith in Mel and his methods. He can keep his money in his pocket for me. He just needs to make better decisions than he was 3 years ago. I believe he is making better decisions than he was 3 years ago.

Pretty sure Mel would admit he's made mistakes as well, the dressing room being one, although I will always maintain that I would find it extremely difficult not to walk in and give the players I pay a piece of my mind if it reached that point. It's not the right thing to do but I can definitely understand it. Look at some of the knee jerk reactions on here after a game, now imagine they have the keys to the stadium and do what they wanted. 

As you said though if he feels like he has had enough you could hardly blame him, it's been one hell of a ride and I have joked on many occasions with him that I can't wait for his autobiography to come out.

From a selfish point of view, I would also like him to stay, would love nothing more than to see us promoted with 50% of the team from the academy under his ownership playing a style of football that doesn't draw criticism from the fans. Part of me would feel a bit ugh if he was to walk away, 12 months later we spent £50m and went straight up with no academy lads in sight.

But as you can see, others are more than willing to stick 2 fingers up to the EFL, spend a load of cash from the Middle East and run off into the Premier League sunset.

Amazing really having given that a go already which we are still dealing with the aftermath whilst in the Championship.

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

Good one. ???

After that they will make wine from water. 

Do you think GSE were thinking they'd buy us, spend a minimal amount (for this level) then have to cut their cloth until they could find a buyer prepared to get their investment money back?

35 minutes ago, 24Charlie said:

Posters seem intent on applying our standards to other nations here.

Oil has had a dramatic affect on middle eastern culture. It has put them head to head with western ideas and culture. What took us hundreds of years to do we are expecting these nation to do in a couple of generations.

Hanging, corporal punishment, oppression of workers, women and homosexuals were the norms in Victorian and Edwardian Britain .Yet we considered ourselves the bastion of decency and charity in the world.

We can say to them that you are doing it all wrong but it is up to them to figure it out. The UAE is the most progressive of these states and has proved open to new ideas. They have recently signed a normalisation treaty with Israel, the only Gulf state to do so.

They do not fund terrorism or back either muslim faction in the various conflicts in the area which sitting in between Saudi Arabia and Iran is a tricky stunt to pull off. In fact the country is so stable than it's become a tourist hotspot and an international hub for airlines. Could you imagine that happening in Bahgdad or Tehran.

UAE is not perfect but it's moving in the right way.

There's a whole load of Aunty Sallyism going on here and in other other posts - How we approach what happens in those countries is a debate for another day, I am more than happy to share my opinion on this but it's clear that people don't what do go down the route. (unless, it appears, that the argument is in their favour) The question here is, do we want someone to own our football club who supports these regimes? My answer is a categoric no - I want people from all backgrounds on of all orientations and genders to feel welcome at my football club, will they feel so with this person in charge?

1 hour ago, RammingStone66 said:

A new owner can spend whatever they want as long as they accept the consequences......or get promoted before the consequences catch up with the owner lol

This "owner can't spend more than Mel is" line is rubbish, an owner can spend whatever they want if they are prepared to fight the rules or come up with a way round them.

But they wouldn't have to suffer the consequences, the club would. The owner can invest diddly squat, (have the club) borrow loads, then leave when it goes pear shaped. It's happened before, it will happen again.

4 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

Do you think GSE were thinking they'd buy us, spend a minimal amount (for this level) then have to cut their cloth until they could find a buyer prepared to get their investment money back?

Think they went into it with their eyes closed a little. Maybe didn't realise what a horrible squad of players we had and how much work needed doing to not only move them on but replace.

Towards the end they no longer wanted to put their money in which is understandable, being outsiders they didn't have the emotional attachment to the club/city which Mel for example has, and that 13/14 season which will be discussed for many a year to come which they will ultimately take credit for from many, they had one foot out the door and very much lost interest.

The appointment of McClaren was Sam Rush's finest hour.  

2 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

PLEASE, somebody explains this to me. 

Am I being thick? Or is everyone excited about rich owners being thick? It can’t be me! 

If Mel cannot even spend his “meagre” wealth without circumventing the rules and attracting EFL charges, what on earth do fans expect new richer owners to be able to do? ??‍♂️

Are people just dumbstruck by wealth and losing a grasp of reality?

They could agree to sell Jozwiak to their cousin at Citeh for 50 million loan him back. Then when we get promoted buy him back fo 50 million. ?

23 minutes ago, David said:

Think they went into it with their eyes closed a little. Maybe didn't realise what a horrible squad of players we had and how much work needed doing to not only move them on but replace.

Towards the end they no longer wanted to put their money in which is understandable, being outsiders they didn't have the emotional attachment to the club/city which Mel for example has, and that 13/14 season which will be discussed for many a year to come which they will ultimately take credit for from many, they had one foot out the door and very much lost interest.

The appointment of McClaren was Sam Rush's finest hour.  

Yup, just pointing out that sometimes buyers don't come in with the intention of spending big money. Just because they have it, doesn't mean they are necessarily planning on spending it.

Just now, GboroRam said:

Yup, just pointing out that sometimes buyers don't come in with the intention of spending big money. Just because they have it, doesn't mean they are necessarily planning on spending it.

Agreed. Although the sad thing is, I think some feel like Mel has been rinsed now, it's time to move on to the next and rinse them. 

No, yeah we can see you gave it a real go, didn't come off, we now understand that we will have to perhaps take a step or two back to build again.

Nope, get him out and get someone that is fresh and willing to pump millions in again without even knowing if a new owner can even just walk in and pump millions in without falling foul of FFP.

But in fairness, I will say that those who are ready for change have only been so vocal when it appears there is an interested party ready to take over. The voices that were calling for his head prior to any public interest were very few.

I have nothing against Mel, he’s a Derby man through and through and I think it’s a damn shame he won’t have a promotion to his name. I say this under the assumption we won’t be going up this season and it would appear Mel has had enough.

That said I don’t really know the financial situation or the rules and punishments. If a new loaded owner can come in, splash the cash with little consequence then I’m definitely for it. If FFP means we’re up against it regardless I’d rather have Mel. 

Mel’s greatest legacy will be the academy although I do think we have been brainwashed as a unit in to thinking having a top academy is the be all and end all. But having a successful one can only be a good thing I guess. 

I’m sure we’ll find out soon enough whether Mel’s selling or not and if he is we’ll get to judge whether the new owner is here for the long haul or not. As long as it’s not a 3 amigos or a Wigan scandal I’ll be happy regardless. 

3 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

PLEASE, somebody explains this to me. 

Am I being thick? Or is everyone excited about rich owners being thick? It can’t be me! 

If Mel cannot even spend his “meagre” wealth without circumventing the rules and attracting EFL charges, what on earth do fans expect new richer owners to be able to do? ??‍♂️

Are people just dumbstruck by wealth and losing a grasp of reality?

I would say one of two things.

They get massive sponsorship deals like etihad

or... they stick 2 fingers up at the efl and spend what they want and get out of the league (pretty much what qpr did) Thus, no point's deduction or fine.

I think it'll be the latter, but i don't think the spending will come till the end of this season. I think we are too far back to challenge for the autos this season.

1 minute ago, NottsRammy said:

Anyone wondering of how quiet it's gone now over the supposed take over , not much news coming out is there . 

What I wanna know is why do the Derby telegraph never get the exclusives? They never seem to be ITK anymore. 

6 hours ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

You have to wonder why he bid 2 billion for Liverpool? I dont think it is his personal wealth he is spending, he clearly has rich investors in the back ground and he is the front for it.

The fact that Mike Ashley said "if they are as rich as they say they are then an extra 10 million here or there won't matter", you have to assume that Ashley tried squeezing every penny to the point that Khaled and his team walked away.

Mike Ashley is a multi billionaire and for him to say "10 million here or there wont matter", it is laughable, why is he bothered about an extra 10 million with all the cash he has?

A Newcastle supporting mate always said that Newcastle were very nearly taken over by Mansour but the deal got messed up by Ashley, so they bought Man City.

People have been trying to buy toon for yonks, it’s just that Ashley is biggest banker around

4 minutes ago, NottsRammy said:

Anyone wondering of how quiet it's gone now over the supposed take over , not much news coming out is there . 

If you look back at John Percy tweet 

"Derby are waiting for final approval from the EFL, which is believed to be close."

I'm not entirely sure what news you are expecting other than they have given the go ahead and it's now a case of signing bits of paper. Doesn't leave much room for rumours and hear say as it sounds like everything has been agreed. 

7 minutes ago, David said:

If you look back at John Percy tweet 

"Derby are waiting for final approval from the EFL, which is believed to be close."

I'm not entirely sure what news you are expecting other than they have given the go ahead and it's now a case of signing bits of paper. Doesn't leave much room for rumours and hear say as it sounds like everything has been agreed. 

As if you don't know. I bet you had breakfast with Mel this morning?

Archived