Straw poll

Sean

Cocu in or out?  

484 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

7 minutes ago, Andicis said:

It was better yes, but I wouldn't go as far as the poster did and call it attractive. We still weren't fluent going forward, and we still didn't score **that** many goals during the spell. 

And we had cm being the centre piece of most of the goals which we haven't now,in a kick yourself up the arse bit of nifty transfer action.

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, Andicis said:

we still didn't score **that** many goals during the spell. 

No, but take the team from that spell and add Jozwiak & Ibe as options on the wing and we've got far more pace and creativity from wide areas and in theory we would have created and scored more goals.

It was arguably the biggest thing we were missing last season

44 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Such attractive football that we barely scored any goals?

From Charlton until Reading, the period I assume is being referenced as “attractive, winning football”, we scored more than 2 goals per game. 

For reference the highest number of goals scored by a team last season was Brentford with 80, considerably less than 2 per game.

Whether you like Cocu or not, please let’s not rewrite history. There are many reasonable arguments that can and have been made against Cocu, likewise for him, but when mistruths are spoken it only serves to devalue these.

5 hours ago, nottingram said:

From Charlton until Reading, the period I assume is being referenced as “attractive, winning football”, we scored more than 2 goals per game. 

For reference the highest number of goals scored by a team last season was Brentford with 80, considerably less than 2 per game.

Whether you like Cocu or not, please let’s not rewrite history. There are many reasonable arguments that can and have been made against Cocu, likewise for him, but when mistruths are spoken it only serves to devalue these.

Funny post. 

I don't know how you can argue we were knocking them in, we just statistically did not score that many goals last season. This is a reasonable thing to say. 

Just because you don't like it, doesn't make it a mistruth.

6 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Funny post. 

I don't know how you can argue we were knocking them in, we just statistically did not score that many goals last season. This is a reasonable thing to say. 

Just because you don't like it, doesn't make it a mistruth.

Erm, what?

Over the period we played “winning, attractive football”, aka January until just post lockdown last season (at least I assume this is what @Leicester Ram is referring to), we were averaging over 2 goals per game. This is a higher average than any team achieved over the full season albeit obviously over a smaller sample size, but still fairly large. 

I didn’t argue we played winning attractive football all season but clearly we are capable of it by doing so over that run which is more than a third of the season. 

Overall, we scored joint 8th most (I think). Not great but not “barely any”. 

So yeah, I think saying we scored “barely any” goals is very much a mistruth. 

19 minutes ago, nottingram said:

Erm, what?

Over the period we played “winning, attractive football”, aka January until just post lockdown last season (at least I assume this is what @Leicester Ram is referring to), we were averaging over 2 goals per game. This is a higher average than any team achieved over the full season albeit obviously over a smaller sample size, but still fairly large. 

I didn’t argue we played winning attractive football all season but clearly we are capable of it by doing so over that run which is more than a third of the season. 

Overall, we scored joint 8th most (I think). Not great but not “barely any”. 

So yeah, I think saying we scored “barely any” goals is very much a mistruth. 

How are you going to compare a small sample to a full season, that's so disingenuous it's unreal. I bet there were spells Brentford had where they scored way more goals than we did. 

I'd argue we never played *that* attractive football, it's a subjective point but I don't remember putting any teams to the sword and nor do I remember us taking teams apart for goals.

Joint 8th is bang average and worse when you consider how loose we were at the back.

1 minute ago, Andicis said:

How are you going to compare a small sample to a full season, that's so disingenuous it's unreal. I bet there were spells Brentford had where they scored way more goals than we did. 

I'd argue we never played *that* attractive football, it's a subjective point but I don't remember putting any teams to the sword and nor do I remember us taking teams apart for goals.

Joint 8th is bang average and worse when you consider how loose we were at the back.

Yes, so disingenuous I literally admitted and accepted it in my post. Obviously there were spells where Brentford scored more than we did.  

It’s ~1/3 of a season, not tiny, where we averaged over 2 goals per game. Includes games such as Stoke, Sheff W, Blackburn and Millwall, as some examples, where we played excellent attacking football. 

A poster said we had shown previously we can play “attractive winning football” which you seemed to refute by saying we “scored barely any goals.” Now I’ve shown examples that we were okay for goals last season and had fairly large spells of much better than okay, all of a sudden it’s subjective? I would agree it’s hugely subjective but you conflated goals and attractive football first.

Don’t really know what more you want me to say and definitely don’t want to go over this all evening. Hope you enjoy the game tonight ??

35 minutes ago, Dappled Ram said:

There ought to have been a third option in the poll for people like me. I was and still am to a certain extent unsure about Cocu but given all that he has had to deal with I am playing a waiting game at least until Christmas before I decide one way or the other.

Have you already bought him a pressie? ? ? 

Archived