I was wrong

Mafiabob

22 minutes ago, tomsdubs said:

Cocu plays a style that requires good quality all over the pitch and unfortunately I don't think we can afford it. If we played a more shitehouse style of football it wouldn't be as big of an issue.

poohouse football was in full effect at Carrow Road 2 weeks ago and that paid off.

Let’s just hope we keep to that style away from home and don’t persist with the 2 holding midfielders at home. 

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

The same recruitment team at the club now and have been for a long time despite an extraordinary long list of players who have left the club for much less than they came in.

Or the ones that didn't sign?!

I don't get how Mel can be have no 'input' when signing players like Blackman/Anya, but say that 'we' weren't going to get 'done' by Exeter overpaying for Watkins?

Getting the wages under control is long overdue. A wage bill of @45m was ridiculous. 

I’m not sure whether the club has yet quite got a handle on recruitment. 
I have no problem with the greater emphasis towards u23 recruitment, but first team recruitment still looks like a bit of a mess. 
wigan made it relatively easy for us to get two players in cheaply. we might even have raided them for one or two more ( joe williams?, Jamal Lowe?)

with regards to the departures, in these times with championship clubs generally having Nothing to spend, we suffer the flip side - players going out on loan before eventually leaving on frees or nominal fees. 

that means we have to be very prudent before spending on transfer fees, due to the immediate, and medium term,  ffp implications

i don’t like to see us selling our young players. If they go too then We really have nothing left to build on.

its difficult to have a transfer strategy when there seems to be no settled first team, and ever changing team selections and tactics. We have ended up with an unbalanced squad - some notable gaps yet multiple options in other positions. 

Hopefully we can get away from a relegation dog fight and achieve mid table whilst building around Sibley and knight.

If we end up with it being a choice between Sibley or knight then that will be a big disappointment. 

6 minutes ago, Ted McMinn Football Genius said:

poohouse football was in full effect at Carrow Road 2 weeks ago and that paid off.

Let’s just hope we keep to that style away from home and don’t persist with the 2 holding midfielders at home. 

I love the way people still talk about Home and Away games as if nothings happened and the stadiums are still ful of fans.

26 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

As much as I don’t like him, I am not sure they were Lampard’s mistakes as such.

If some are saying that Cocu wasn’t responsible for signing Dowell, Paterson, Bielik, Rooney, Clarke et al and put his faith in others to pinpoint the right type of player, then how can we blame Lampard for signing Marriott, Waghorn, Jozefzoon and Malone?

Surely the fault lies with the recruitment team?

90 mins from Prem. One goal from penalties. Not bad.

5 minutes ago, tomsdubs said:

Cocu plays a style that requires good quality all over the pitch and unfortunately I don't think we can afford it. If we played a more shitehouse style of football it wouldn't be as big of an issue.

Shitehouse style of football ?Love that term 

1 hour ago, Mafiabob said:

Fully admit I bought into the hype about having Frank Lampard as manager. But now we are reducing the wage bill and clientele because of his mistakes in the transfer market.

BuT hE bOuNcEd

Ive git criticisms of Cocu and the way we are now, don’t get me wrong.... but the hand he’s been dealt because of Frank and Co has put us where we are.

I was wrong..... plain and simple

He did bounce, didn't he. Norwich away a couple of weeks a go made me remember of that day just after Christmas. Norwich on form, we were poo away. 

2-0 down, travelled all the way there in great numbers. The lights went out. We got louder and louder, as if we knew what was going to happen next. 

Ah. Good times. Twas a good bouncing day with Frank and Nugent. 

Get crowds back into stadiums. 

1 hour ago, Nuwtfly said:

Absolutley agree with your assessment of Lampard, @Mafiabob 

But, to be fair, he didn't bin off Martin, loan Marriott to a rival and replace them with Colin Kazim-Richards, did he?

Honestly what the duck is this poo

He binned off Martin AS WELL AS loaning him to a rival for goodness sake. 

Lampard is no different to Rowett in that he made short term decisions, or at least was allowed to make short term decisions, before swanning off when he had to sort it out. 

There were some great games that year but ultimately he took a team who finished 5th, added three of the most stellar loanees any team could dream of getting at this level, spent £15-20m largely on dross (albeit offset by selling Vydra and Weimann) and finished 6th. And ducked it at Wembley. 

A lot of problems from Rowett and Lampard’s seasons, and before, are coming home to roost. Just think it needs riding out a little. 

Bit harsh to criticise Lampards signings in isolation when we've wasted millions on Anya, Butterfield, Johnson, Blackman etc before he even arrived.

Marriott has been a crock which unless Lampards crystal ball wasn't working at the time he couldn't have predicted. The above were all recruited all massively inflated wages and transfer fees and did nothing to remotely justify their price tags or contract lengths.

He was always going to be a poo or bust manager and unfortunately we got turned over by Villa and this is where we are.

2 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I see it far more as a longer term symptom of going all out to get promoted and failing.

Most clubs who do that get one or two bites at it, but, we've had about five. Sooner or later it was going to catch up no matter how benevolent Mel is as an owner.

As for Lampard, his signings have been mixed bag, Waghorn and the loans good, Evans and Holmes decent value signings, Marriott not really worked out, Zoon terrible. But Lampard was really a last crack at it. Cocu is here to rebuild and bring youth through. It's a different breif. 

Exactly. We need--and I do mean need; there is no other choice but ruin--to get back to what Nigel Clough did for us. It's time for fiscal discipline and focus on building a coherent team  on a tight budget. Clubs have been promoted that way. We almost were ourselves in 2014. Cocu strikes me as the kind of manager who could do that. Let's be *ahem* Frank: nothing else has worked.

Harsh to blame Lampard alone imo. Very much doubt he had that much to do with recruitment, and in any case, most of his transfer outgoings were offset by the sale of Vydra. I’m pretty sure most permanent signings weren’t on that high wages either, it was only the loans that were costly - but I think all 3 justified the expense. Certainly don’t think that window alone has had a massive impact on our current mess. Years of financial mismanagement and poor recruitment have left us where we are today, stretching right the way back into the Clement era.

Yet we still seem to be making the same mistakes today. We still seem to be selling our top youngsters for below market value, and we still seem unable to handle a transfer window properly - at the end of pretty much every window recently we’ve been left with a gaping hole somewhere in our squad, which leaves us struggling before the season has even begun. We’ve known for months that we need a new first choice striker, yet all we end up with is Kazim-Richards?! It’s a joke, it really is. Feel so bad for Cocu who keeps getting ducked over by not getting what he needs transfers wise, and I’m so glad the fans aren’t in the grounds at the moment, because the atmosphere would be toxic.

Archived