Black Panther

Sith Happens

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, angieram said:

It must be an age thing because my timeline over the weekend has been full of tributes to this young man following his untimely death.

I had never heard of him but he is obviously a huge star.

It’s not just your average common or garden star though. It really bugs me when people mourn ‘stars’ just vos they happen to be quite good at acting, but are generally ricks that haven’t achieved much beside starring in some big films.

But Chadwick genuinely made a big impact on the world in a very short space of time. His impact was to enhancing positive representations and role models of / for black people, culminating in a black super hero / leading man (but he did other stuff in the same vein too). Whilst being totally humble about it, and a thoroughly nice guy. 

his impact can easily be compared with likes of Sidney Poitier. And obviously particularly poignant with what’s going on in the world right now.

and now we learn he did it all under the cloud of being diagnosed with stage 3 cancer. Four years ago, he would have just got the part of black panther, planning for his first appearance in captain America: civil war, he’s finally made it in his late 30s, he’s going to be an absolute megastar, and then just months after getting that news, he gets diagnosed with stage 3 cancer. That news is devastating at any time, but to go from such a high, to such a low, and yet still go on with complete dignity, is an absolute inspiration. 

The shame is that he didn’t live long enough for you to have heard of him. Unless your into the MCU, or happen to have seen some of the lower budget stuff he’s done, you won’t have heard of him. I hadn’t heard of him before black panther, and haven’t seen any of his other stuff, but I guarantee that he would have gone from strength to strength and continued to be a massive inspiration to black kids, if he’d had the chance. You would have definitely heard of him eventually.

It’s a cruel, cruel universe sometimes. 

5 minutes ago, angieram said:

Thanks for the update @TigerTedd

I have no idea what the MCU even is and know little about films unless they are very mainstream. 

Avengers Endgame is arguably the biggest film of all time. 

He was great in Das5Bloods too, in hindsight he looked smaller than in Black Panther but maybe that's hindsight talking. 

Huge, megastar in the making. 

1 hour ago, angieram said:

I have no idea what the MCU even is and know little about films unless they are very mainstream. 

If recommend Get on Up, where he played James Brown. Great film and performance.

Not seen him in anything else either.

2 hours ago, angieram said:

That’s made me giggle a bit. You really can’t get much more mainstream than the MCU. 

5 of the top 10 highest grossing films of all time are MCU films, including Black Panther at number 10 (incidentally that’s the only stand alone MCU film in the top 10, the other 4 are the 4 avengers films, so he is the highest grossing individual superhero in the MCU - I think that’s a lot to do with the cultural significance of black panther - it was also the first super hero movie nominated for the best picture Oscar (actually won 3 oscars, but not that one)).

9 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

all these answers to the MCU question and nobody has had the decency to tell @angieram that it's Marvel Comics (Marvel Cinematic Universe)

Thank you, Mostyn. You are right, I didn't know that. 

I have heard of Marvel comics and also the Avengers. Isn't that the man in the bowler hat and his glamourous female sidekicks? ?

32 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

@angieram for MCU, see Spiderman, The Hulk, and friends.

Maybe for completeness you should tell angieram that bill Bixby no longer plays the hulk. ?

Just now, AndyinLiverpool said:

Strictly speaking, that should read: Lou Ferrigno no longer players the Hulk

yeah I thought that after I posted that ?

Archived