Shirt numbers

Sean

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Not much. If we're playing traditional 4-3-3 there is literally no chance Rooney is at the base. Rooney cannot play holding mid by himself, he needed the legs of Bird. 

Huddlestone managed?

My main issue with a 433 is that Sibley would have to adapt to being more of a No.8 than No.10

1 minute ago, YorkshireRam said:

Huddlestone managed?

My main issue with a 433 is that Sibley would have to adapt to being more of a No.8 than No.10

When did we play Hudds in a 4-3-3? Weren't we mainly playing 4-2-3-1 with Hudds? Maybe at the start under Lampard but he got replaced pretty fast by Johnson. 

3 minutes ago, Andicis said:

When did we play Hudds in a 4-3-3? Weren't we mainly playing 4-2-3-1 with Hudds? Maybe at the start under Lampard but he got replaced pretty fast by Johnson. 

Until he got injured at Barnsley, including our best performance of the (regular) season- West Brom (A). He played there when we were at our best and often with Mount and Wilson ahead of him who offered little to no defensive support. Rooney's a bit tackler than Huddz as well so if the 2 in front of him were fairly box-to-box ie Bird and Knight then I think he'd cope

Just now, YorkshireRam said:

Until he got injured at Barnsley, including our best performance of the (regular) season- West Brom (A). He played there when we were at our best and often with Mount and Wilson ahead of him who offered little to no defensive support. Rooney's a bit tackler than Huddz as well so if the 2 in front of him were fairly box-to-box ie Bird and Knight then I think he'd cope

Personally never thought Huddlestone was any good in that position, too much of a defensive liability. I wouldn't like to see Rooney ever play at the base by himself. I think his success came from being next to Bird. He's not that good at defensive positioning. 

Well the new shirt numbers pretty much confirm what we were all thinking... Jozefzoon must be off somewhere pretty sharpish. Also, I wouldn't be surprised seeing Ravas head out on loan soon what with Idem being given a squad number.

Fill #7, #11 and #19 with decent signings/loans of an attacking variety and that looks a decent squad to me. Hopefully not leaving it all to the last minute... we'll be 4 (league) games into the season when October 16th comes along and every point matters.

43 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Personally never thought Huddlestone was any good in that position, too much of a defensive liability. I wouldn't like to see Rooney ever play at the base by himself. I think his success came from being next to Bird. He's not that good at defensive positioning. 

I'm not saying you're wrong but it's quite an incredible statement that England and Man Utd's record goalscorer's ''success'' came from our 19 year old academy product ?

53 minutes ago, Black ('n' White) Sheep said:

Hopefully not leaving it all to the last minute... we'll be 4 (league) games into the season when October 16th comes along and every point matters.

It's quite helpful that our first few games are winnable on paper. I expect us to beat Luton and Reading, Blackburn too. October will be a tough test and we should have the players in by then

The difference between a 433 and a 4231 is as much down to which players you pick as anything the manager says IMO.  If you pick Rooney, Bird and Sibley in there, Bird is still going to drop deep and look to play through midfield, and Sibley is still going to be getting on the ball and driving at people, no matter what numbers the manager puts on the board.

It's quite the move to strip Jozefzoon of his number unless he's leaving imminently and it's all been confirmed. 

With no rumoured clubs interested, I wonder if we've offered him to Poznan as a makeweight in the Jozwiak deal. Would give him a fresh start at a suitable level; simplifies their search for a replacement and makes up for our lack of funds.

11 minutes ago, SouthernRam said:

With no rumoured clubs interested, I wonder if we've offered him to Poznan as a makeweight in the Jozwiak deal. Would give him a fresh start at a suitable level; simplifies their search for a replacement and makes up for our lack of funds.

That would be a great deal

Feel for Jo Flo, ok he’s not very good or hasn’t been for us. But for professional footballer not to be given a squad number is harsh, it must be a horrible feeling. Hope he finds a club soon and ready reinvigorates his career.  

Archived