Historical trivia 8-2 win over Spurs

FindernRam

Barca getting hammered 8-2 reminded me of us smashing Spurs in October 76. I WAS THERE!

I have moaned on here about the lack of memorable games but I do recall that one

Of the eight goals only 2 were scored by a striker (some things never change). Rioch got 4 (very rare for anyone to get 4) Rod Thomas, Colin Todd the others. Spurs were actually relegated from bottom place that season.

I recall we were losing at half time but absolutely blitzed them second half, I have this remembered vision of Derby playing magical passing football flowing forward as if Spurs weren't there.

Ah the days before sideways passing!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, FindernRam said:

Barca getting hammered 8-2 reminded me of us smashing Spurs in October 76. I WAS THERE!

I have moaned on here about the lack of memorable games but I do recall that one

Of the eight goals only 2 were scored by a striker (some things never change). Rioch got 4 (very rare for anyone to get 4) Rod Thomas, Colin Todd the others. Spurs were actually relegated from bottom place that season.

I recall we were losing at half time but absolutely blitzed them second half, I have this remembered vision of Derby playing magical passing football flowing forward as if Spurs weren't there.

I was a 10 year old playing football for my school team down in Cornwall that day. Remember following the game later that day, great win ?

16 minutes ago, FindernRam said:

Still one of my best matches ever! Rioch was my favourite player, scoring was easy, I thought football would always be that much fun. 

But it isn't that easy, the game has changed and become much more technical, better defenders, better techniques all round, different standards (Rioch would struggle to stay on the field for 90 minutes these days, unless he changed his tackling style!) 

And of course, we won nothing that season either, so it wasn't all rosy back in the day. 

28 minutes ago, FindernRam said:

I was there as well however your  memory is failing you a little Findern we were 3-2 up at half time and Bruce was playing up front that day with Charlie due to injuries. There was an article in the Derby Telegraph recently as well about the game . We went 2-0 up Spurs came back to 2-2 but Bruce scored just on half time to give us the lead. We turned them over big time 2nd half. 
Bruce got 4 , Charlie 2 and Toddy the other. 
I do remember a couple of sideway passes and pass backs to the keeper which were allowed then ?

I also remember a big fight on the Popside when Tottenham got round the back and tried to take it. 
Tottenham were relegated that season and it was the start of our decline. Dave M was sacked shortly after and replaced first by Colin Murphy and then by he who shall not be named. 

If this forum existed then  I can imagine the fuss if we tried to buy a young midfielder  from Spurs after they went down. 
Howls of derision he can’t be any good he was in a relegated side , too fancy , won’t tackle , can’t play in a 4-4-2. 
Glenn Hoddle didn’t have to bad a career after that ?

12 minutes ago, Reggie Greenwood said:

however your  memory is failing you a little Findern

I wish it was only a little! 

I can visualise all the team quite clearly apart from Tony Macken, he was on loan to other clubs a lot I know, so hardly surprising I dont picture him. 

29 minutes ago, Reggie Greenwood said:

If this forum existed then  I can imagine the fuss if we tried to buy a young midfielder  from Spurs after they went down. 
Howls of derision he can’t be any good he was in a relegated side , too fancy , won’t tackle , can’t play in a 4-4-2. 

Yes, and can you even imagine what we'd be saying about our inconsistent Welsh winger and not-good-enough goalkeeper? 

Some things would be exactly the same as 44 years ago. 

Sith Happens
35 minutes ago, Reggie Greenwood said:

if this forum existed then we would have gone into meltdown about conceding two goals ??

Me and 'Bob' went thru' the smelly bogs at half-time to watch us attacking more close up, kept our colours hidden for self preservation reasons, we went for football, not fighting. Spurs fans were in tears, literally blubbing, one of the Rams best games ever.

For me, this game was hugely significant in the history of Derby County. It was one of the last few flickers of light from the great team of the 70s.

We had made a poor start to the season. I think, in part, as a hangover to the semi-final defeat at the end of the previous season. The FA Cup had greater meaning in those days and it was common for teams to take time to recover from semifinal defeats.

We also didn't replace Franny Lee who had retired, so we were a bit short of numbers up front. That's why Rioch played there in this game when injuries kicked in. I liked Leighton James, an out and out winger, but he wasn't really a success at Derby - nor a striker.

I wasn't keen on Mackay's appointment - noone could replace Cloughie for me. But he had done a brilliant job. With hindsight, we can all see the directors were fools to be so impatient after the poor start in just one season. 

The youth team coach Murphy had a couple of wins as caretaker, who wouldn't with that team, and demanded the job. Of course, he was out of his depth.

Then came Docherty. He did a hatchet job on a team that still had a lot to give. Sure, it needed to evolve, with replacements gently being introduced - I've mentioned already we needed at least one more quality forward - but I will never forgive Docherty for what he did.

It was downhill from there...

5 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

For me, this game was hugely significant in the history of Derby County. It was one of the last few flickers of light from the great team of the 70s.

We had made a poor start to the season. I think, in part, as a hangover to the semi-final defeat at the end of the previous season. The FA Cup had greater meaning in those days and it was common for teams to take time to recover from semifinal defeats.

We also didn't replace Franny Lee who had retired, so we were a bit short of numbers up front. That's why Rioch played there in this game when injuries kicked in. I liked Leighton James, an out and out winger, but he wasn't really a success at Derby - nor a striker.

I wasn't keen on Mackay's appointment - noone could replace Cloughie for me. But he had done a brilliant job. With hindsight, we can all see the directors were fools to be so impatient after the poor start in just one season. 

The youth team coach Murphy had a couple of wins as caretaker, who wouldn't with that team, and demanded the job. Of course, he was out of his depth.

Then came Docherty. He did a hatchet job on a team that still had a lot to give. Sure, it needed to evolve, with replacements gently being introduced - I've mentioned already we needed at least one more quality forward - but I will never forgive Docherty for what he did.

It was downhill from there...

Was our 1st win of the season , think we got knocked out of the Uefa Cup or whatever it was called then by AEK Athens shortly afterwards.

2 hours ago, Jimbo Ram said:

I was a 10 year old playing football for my school team down in Cornwall that day. Remember following the game later that day, great win ?

I was  a 10 year old playing football too. Headed for the Spurs match in a miserable mood as, despite having scored in a Cubs natch that morning, we'd gone and lost 9-2. And Derby were having a terrible season, the first in my memory. But what a glorious day it proved. It felt as if we'd broken free of our malaise and turned the corner. But then the board went and sacked Dave Mackay!

Oh happy days !!

Around 4 of us 18 year olds were goading a coach load of Spurs fans afterwards as it passed us as we walked down Ossie Road. All of a sudden it pulled up in traffic & 50 very angry men couldn't get off the bus quick enough to get their hands on us. 

I've never run as quick in my life. 

Archived