Matthew Clarke

Curtains

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Squid said:

As much as he may deserve it, don’t give him POTY.

Don’t want brighton realising how good he is.

Infact, tell them he’s absolutely crap, and we’ll take him off their hands for a few grand.

Doesn’t work like that mate they have their staff watching him 

1 minute ago, Squid said:

If Mel played his cards right he would of banned them from watching?

If they stay in the Premier I think we may be able to retain his services.

Don't really see Bielik as a CB or Wisdom long term there so if we don’t get him we need another option and will have to recruit  

1 hour ago, angieram said:

Would love to keep him. Second season running an on loan centre back has shone for us. 

I would want to sign him permanently if at all possible.

But we only tend to make our player of the year a central defender as no one else gets an interview or is it that we see our central defenders defending too much ! 

Definitely. I wasn’t 100% convinced by him at first, but he’s developed into a proper top class championship CB as the season has gone on imo. He seems to have gone up another level since the lockdown break as well - don’t know whether it’s increased confidence with no fans in the grounds, but he seems so much better distributing the ball and carrying it out of defence now. In fact, he’s starting to look almost Keogh-esque in the way he plays. Who’d have thought we’d have his replacement here already?

But yeah, you should always look to keep your best players, so I’d be delighted if we could extend Clarke’s loan by another season - hopefully with the option for a permanent deal at the end of it this time. To be honest, with what we’ve seen since the break, I’d be surprised if Brighton wanted to loan him out again - he looks solid enough to be Prem class now for me. But if they do, having Te Weirik and Clarke as our CB pairing will be us sorted in that position imo.

2 hours ago, Curtains said:

I think the Rams need him to stay. 

I'd be very open to this as I think he's been very good

The flip side is I think it would be a little harsh on Wisdom - Who seems to be developing into a decent CB now and needs more game-time there to improve - But who would probably be the guy dropped 

I think if we can get him for a decent fee then absolutely - Another loan or a big money bid I'd be more inclined to save the money and play Wisdom or Evans alongside Te Wierek

We have a gem in Clarke... he could have quite easily refused to play (like the players at Hull) or asked to return to Brighton but he has been a consummate pro.... we need to keep him and hope that Mike is as good and they can build an solid partnership.... the only issue we have then is in the shape of Krystian Bielik and where to capitalise on his strengths... could it be that he is introduced when Rooneys legs/lungs are failing him...which could be just about as Bielik returns?

Clarke needs to stay, this season we need to try and keep the majority of this squad together and add 2 or 3 quality players, if possible. No Paterson/Hamer signings please.

If we can get Clarke, a good reliable keeper and then go all out for a winger and striker, I honestly think we would be set for a good go at it.

Doesnt have to be permanent signings, all good quality loans would do.

15 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

The flip side is I think it would be a little harsh on Wisdom - Who seems to be developing into a decent CB now and needs more game-time there to improve - But who would probably be the guy dropped 

3 players for 2 positions means there'll be plenty of game time available for all.

You have to take into account that one of them will snap a leg in pre season, one will have to go into hiding for a couple of months after his dogging video goes viral on tiktok... Derby innit.

1 hour ago, Squid said:

As much as he may deserve it, don’t give him POTY.

Don’t want brighton realising how good he is.

Infact, tell them he’s absolutely crap, and we’ll take him off their hands for a few grand.

It's bit of a depressing thought that for the second year on the trot our POTY isn't actually a Derby player ☹️

I think he's been pretty good but not outstanding. Would be fine if we kept him on loan or paid a small fee for him, but we have no idea if he'll be better than other options we already have for next season.

Wouldn't really want to buy him, then he ends up 4th CB behind Wisdom, Bielik and Dutch guy. Other areas need the money spent on them first.

Archived