Tribunal Update

Shipley Ram

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Theres’s Only Wan Chope said:

Erm yes but charges are going to be based on some evidence and EFL have proved they will take action.  They wouldn't bring this charge on the club without some sort evidence we have breached their rules. 

In their opinion which doesn't mean they're always right

Erm yes but charges are going to be based on some evidence and EFL have proved they will take action.  They wouldn't bring this charge on the club without some sort evidence we have breached their rules. 

And the Police only ever stop and search those who are guilty! ?

Erm, nothing ever goes to 'court' or some kind of tribunal unless the ones bringing the charge feel they have sufficient evidence to do so... yet, somehow, people are often found not guilty, appeals are allowed, and so on and so forth.  Not a foregone conclusion.

I'm not necessarily suggesting we'll get let off because I don't know enough about it and haven't seen the evidence. All I'm saying is the "there's no smoke without fire" approach doesn't necessarily hold water.

Think this process is a bit more involved than a stop and search but I would love to be proved wrong. 

Until for certain we know differently then why not give the Club the benefit of the doubt?

ON this issue of has there been mismangement, no I don't think there has in the way you might normally think in terms of "stole the pension fund/lied to the shareholders/hid massive losses/made unforgivable business decisions etc" but I do think the cost of trying to reach the prem and not making it has caught up with us, as was always likely to at some point if we didn't get promoted in the good years.

We have however, sailed close to the wind to be competitive and got to a point where we needed to do something with Pride Park to cover off the FFP situation - I this has all been calculated risk and viewed as necessary to be competitive against parachute clubs. Our statement said that had what we'd done not been acceptable we would've complied in other ways (presumably flogging the squad at the end of the Rowett season). I do however think we've been clever in stretching things both with amortization and the way we sold Pride Park - the nub is have we been too clever to the point where it isn't clever or it's more clever than the regulator, and the regulater has said "I'm no longer buying it" (the apparent EFL position on the charges). SO without having full legal review of all the documents we can't really say how in the right we are. I just hope the panel says "it's clever, but it's not wrong" rather than "nope, you're not that clever and we read this the way EFL reads it".

Ultimately, we didn't get promoted in the good times and like all championship clubs who don't make it in the good years, this catches up and there's a period of falling back. Just the way it goes. No one ever likes it, but it's almost inevitable even with the best run clubs.

I thank Mel wholeheartedly for all he's done for the club, and whilst he bears some responsibility for the current situation, so do the financial officer and legal team but I don't believe there's been anything with malicious intent or incompetence. Some high risk moves with good motivation, but we could be a lot worse off EFL charge or not.

45 minutes ago, oldtimeram said:

If we get a points deduction or any other sanction, he needs to explain why.  It's his club and his actions that will have caused the penalty, if indeed it comes to fruition

If any sanctions come our way, which I'm pretty sure they won't surely the answer will be  that he was trying to do the best for the club within the rules but the rules unfairly changed. 

2 hours ago, Rampage said:

Is it just me or is it looking more and more likely that next season will be a transition season. It will be if we are docked 12 points. May take us 9 games to get to no points.

Every single season since Mac1 has been a "transition season" - we have to get to the destination eventually. 

1 hour ago, Theres’s Only Wan Chope said:

"EFL have proved they will take action" - what are you basing that on? They dismissed Birminghams case this season and didn't inflict any further punishment on them. There is zero consistency in their decisions or their behaviour -you can't base any conclusions on a single isolated case.

I also disagree that they wouldn't bring the charge on the club without some sort of evidence we had breached their rules since they didn't do anything until some of their other members starting kicking off about it. The tribunal is an independent panel - it isn't going to automatically find us guilty - this isn't a Blackadder style court.

9 minutes ago, The Orange Pimpernel said:

If any sanctions come our way, which I'm pretty sure they won't surely the answer will be  that he was trying to do the best for the club within the rules but the rules unfairly changed. 

Good to see that you've spared your previous aggressive diatribe on someone who is also asking the same reasonable question 

5 minutes ago, GenBr said:

Every single season since Mac1 has been a "transition season" - we have to get to the destination eventually. 

"EFL have proved they will take action" - what are you basing that on? They dismissed Birminghams case this season and didn't inflict any further punishment on them. There is zero consistency in their decisions or their behaviour -you can't base any conclusions on a single isolated case.

I also disagree that they wouldn't bring the charge on the club without some sort of evidence we had breached their rules since they didn't do anything until some of their other members starting kicking off about it. The tribunal is an independent panel - it isn't going to automatically find us guilty - this isn't a Blackadder style court.

So you really think some people kick off and they bring a charge onto us? If we have done everything properly then this surely wouldn’t happen.  If we had it properly accepted then I can’t see how this would happen. Something has gone wrong somewhere. 

Archived