Philip Cocu

1 hour ago, BondJovi said:

I still maintain his Forest cup selection was brilliant. Not so much for many fans, but for the players. Give the youngsters a taste of first team football, see what they can do but also make it clear if they are good enough and ready they will be picked. Must have been a huge boost for a lot of those players, the players who are our future.

For someone like Sibley it sure didn't do any harm.

I understand why that selection annoyed so many, but we are clearly seeing the rewards of a manager who thinks long term.

Could have told the thousands of fans before they wasted time and money traveling to the city ground to get mocked by Forest fans?

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Always thought Cocu would be a class act, just wasn't sure if the squad at Derby could step up to match his technical excellence. It's just amazing what he is doing with the all the young players in the team, as well as getting the best out of the likes of Wisdom and Evans. Also have to appreciate that he has utilised Rooney perfectly so far. 

6 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Could have told the thousands of fans before they wasted time and money traveling to the city ground to get mocked by Forest fans?

He could have put out a full strength side and still lost. We were hardly flying at the time. At least you will be able to tell your grandkids that you saw Sibley's full debut.

16 minutes ago, richinspain said:

He could have put out a full strength side and still lost. We were hardly flying at the time. At least you will be able to tell your grandkids that you saw Sibley's full debut.

At least we'd have lost giving it our best. That night still leaves a bad taste for me. 

4 minutes ago, Andicis said:

At least we'd have lost giving it our best. That night still leaves a bad taste for me. 

it’s history now mate. once we’ve smashed them on saturday, that awful memory will be long gone..??

7 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

The other part involved revealing team selection to the world days in advance, which was such a stupid idea that I thought I would disregard it.

I'd have thought it'd be more stupid having a sell out crowd vs local rivals and playing a second team and then expecting not to catch flack for it.

46 minutes ago, DCFC27 said:

Some people just couldn’t see it at the time. So many games where we lost and the score was terrible, but I remember almost every week saying ‘we played better than them’ ‘small mistakes are costing us’ ‘I don’t know how we’re 3-0 down here’

Now we’re comfortable playing that way with players that can play the system we have turned it around. 

The signs have been there all season we were playing well prior to Christmas it’s just hard to see when we were getting patchy results. Especially away. 

I remember the friendly at Ibrox last summer and thinking "ok I can see what they're trying to do, but it's way sloppy and too slow" and we lost to Rangers that day - we were severely under baked for the championship starting.

And a lot of the games i saw in the first half of the season seemed to continue the theme of a lot of trying to do neat things but just being to slow or too sloppy to pull them off, but we were slowly getting better at it, just not very often enough to do it better then the other team were at doing what they were doing, and we don't half love shooting ourselves in the foot.

Now, we've developed and we are good enough to pull it off quite a lot of the time. Time will tell if it was worth sucking up the first half of the season to get what came after but I did always feel there was a definite development along the way.

1 minute ago, Andicis said:

I'd have thought it'd be more stupid having a sell out crowd vs local rivals and playing a second team and then expecting not to catch flack for it.

Who says he didn't expect flack?

Honestly, it was nearly a year ago.

On a more positive note, next season, we'll be out of the league cup long before you have the opportunity to waste your time and money on match tickets.

1 minute ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I remember the friendly at Ibrox last summer and thinking "ok I can see what they're trying to do, but it's way sloppy and too slow" and we lost to Rangers that day - we were severely under baked for the championship starting.

And a lot of the games i saw in the first half of the season seemed to continue the theme of a lot of trying to do neat things but just being to slow or too sloppy to pull them off, but we were slowly getting better at it, just not very often enough to do it better then the other team were at doing what they were doing, and we don't half love shooting ourselves in the foot.

Now, we've developed and we are good enough to pull it off quite a lot of the time. Time will tell if it was worth sucking up the first half of the season to get what came after but I did always feel there was a definite development along the way.

That's just how I felt about it. Was happy to be patient while it progressed, but it was quite painful watching it at times.

Now, it seems the frustration was all worthwhile.

4 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Who says he didn't expect flack?

Honestly, it was nearly a year ago.

On a more positive note, next season, we'll be out of the league cup long before you have the opportunity to waste your time and money on match tickets.

Yeah, playing for the league is much more sensible and worked out much better for Derby over the years with our wealth of league titles.

Was never in doubt for me as our grumpy young chum @Andiciswill confirm. At one point, I felt like his therapist ? In all seriousness, it always seemed clear to me what he was trying to do. The only question in my mind was whether the players would buy into it as, momentarily, I had doubts on that score. Once they did, the improvement was clear to see and now we see a clear and defined style shaped very much in the manager's own image. At times, it's absolutely joyous to behold.

In the midst of the Cocu love-in and at risk of being repetitive, let's not forget Chris and Twan. They are the guys doing the bulk of the one-on-one training that is yielding such startling progress, likewise the academy coaches who must take great delight in working for a manager whose ethos and philosophy I would venture, has always been close to their own. 

Despite the litany of woe that was our early season, the club now seems to be totally unified, on and off the pitch and I love the space we're in right now. Football can be so uplifting sometimes and after a horrible few months right across the globe, perhaps there really are much brighter times ahead. For this I feel we owe a debt of gratitude to Mel Morris, who has been very quiet of recent months, but is no doubt sat watching our games with a massive poo-eating grin on his face. It's nothing less than he deserves and I couldn't be happier for him.

COYR

14 hours ago, Jayram said:

The criticism levelled at him and the players during the first half of the season was justified - the performances at Brentford, Reading etc were abysmal and putting out a junior team for the Forest cup game was inexplicable. However, the arrival of Rooney has galvanised the club and its clear that the players now ‘get’ the way Cocu wants them to play. Considering the off the pitch chaos at the club this season I think he has done a remarkable job and regardless of what happens this season I look forward to seeing us progress next season.

7 hours ago, Andicis said:

Whilst I'm clearly a supporter of Cocu now, I was a big critic of him for the first half of the season, and I think my criticisms of the time were valid. We were awful in a lot of the games in the first half of the season, he should have played a different team than he did vs Forest in the cup, let's not rewrite history here. At times he didn't look like he had a plan. 

So I don't blame myself or others for having early doubts around Cocu, they were all justified at the time. Happily it turned out well.

I'm sorry, I disagree. The performances at the start of the season might have been poor, but I don't think the criticism was justified. Perhaps he wasn't focusing on immediate results, but building a long-term project. And even if the results hadn't come good during the second half of the season, if there were signs of progress, young players being developed, the building of a new system, then criticism would still not be justified. He came in on a 4-year project, and patience is what he deserves. 

Whatever happens over the next month, if we get off to a poor start next season, I'm sure there will be some calling for him to go. I won't be one of them. 

19 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Was never in doubt for me as our grumpy young chum @Andiciswill confirm. At one point, I felt like his therapist ? 

? Wish I could deny it! You've been pretty consistently right when it comes to Cocu!

20 minutes ago, Crazy said:

I'm sorry, I disagree. The performances at the start of the season might have been poor, but I don't think the criticism was justified. Perhaps he wasn't focusing on immediate results, but building a long-term project. And even if the results hadn't come good during the second half of the season, if there were signs of progress, young players being developed, the building of a new system, then criticism would still not be justified. He came in on a 4-year project, and patience is what he deserves. 

Whatever happens over the next month, if we get off to a poor start next season, I'm sure there will be some calling for him to go. I won't be one of them. 

To be fair we were losing 3-0 to Reading and Brentford and barely even having a kick of the ball. It wasn't just poor, we were being thrashed quite regularly away and having tight games at home. If that had continued, you wouldn't have seen it as building, you'd have wanted him out too. I wasn't hugely patient, mainly because I'm used to Derby hiring managers that talk well and end up fired quickly, but the first half of the season wasn't really acceptable. 

Not really seen anyone properly moan about Derby since the Charlton game where it seemed clear we were different, but up until that point we were pretty shocking most of the way. Worse than we had been under any previous manager since Clough really.

Archived