Live football thread.

Rev

I’m not sure who I wanted to win there.

I just don’t like city very much. I just get a feeling of sterility, roboticness, maybe it’s the money, and that everything is just a bit too perfect, it seems very soulless. 

say what you want about Liverpool, you can’t argue they don’t have soil, it just seems a lot more organic and impassioned. It would be interesting to live through the history of a team doing the treble. And yes, they’ve spent a lot of money, but when compared to Chelsea and city, I almost consider then the plucky underdogs.

but, I’m very much an England fan, especially these days, and city have a lot more England players, and I hope they do well. 

So a draw will do for now. Maybe Liverpool to win it this year, and then city to walk away with it next year, winning every game from the start of the season to Christmas, giving the England players oodles of confidence. 

Both teams are head and shoulders above the rest. Chelsea are a terrific cup team and can cause both problems on any given day, but they don’t play anywhere near as well on a consistent basis.

City vs Liverpool has reached the heights of el Clasico and Bayern vs Dortmund around 2012-14.

Pep and Klopp are the common denominators. The day either leaves there will be a clear drop in levels, and ai think one of them will go within the next few years.

1 hour ago, Bris Vegas said:

...Pep and Klopp are the common denominators. The day either leaves there will be a clear drop in levels, and ai think one of them will go within the next few years.

Where will they go? But they'll be on a downward slope, and there will be other managers wanting to prove themselves and who will replace them.

7 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Where will they go? But they'll be on a downward slope, and there will be other managers wanting to prove themselves and who will replace them.

I read that Pep has spoken about taking up international management at some stage, and it wouldn’t surprise me if he took on the Brazilian job before the 2026 World Cup. 

Im not so sure about Jurgen Klopp. Could he fancy a challenge in Spain? Would Bayern interest him? If either were English you could imagine them being in their current jobs for years to rebuild the squads like SAF and Wenger.

But as they’re both foreign, I don’t think the attachment is 100%. 

We have to be grateful they are both here in England. The national team is benefitting, while If it was just one of them, the PL would quickly become like the Bundesliga with just one of them completely dominant. 

I honestly never imagined this growing up watching Man Utd win all the time. It’s crazy to see how the tables have turned and how they could realistically go 20+ years without a title similar to Liverpool.

Perhaps I'm getting old, but I really didn't think the game was that great.....

Sure it was good to see them both going for it - but I think that simply showed the issue with the way both Pep and Kloppitty build their teams - great going forward, but I couldn't believe how poor they both were defensively - it resulted in both midfields (but Liverpool in particular) resorting to cynical hacks to stop the opposition - and a different ref could quite easily have sent a couple off from each side...having said all that, if Guardiola could get over his stubbornness and sign a proper forward, they'd be 6-0 up by half-time in every game and wouldn't need to play any defenders....

I know Sky will crown whichever of the two that wins the league as the best team there has ever been, but I'm afraid their defensive frailties show that's clearly not true....

A few other minor points:

1. Micah Richards could well be crowned as the most annoying person on TV
  2. Raheem Sterling was utterly dreadful - running about quickly doesn't make up for a lack of awareness, poor posititoning and poor control...
  3. Jack Gealish looked more like a £100K player than £100M....his one conttribution in the 15 minutes he was on the pitch was to get into a great position, then 'do a Grealish' and throw himself to the floor....