Famous last minute winners

Gone

Following the thread about the BBC poll for best play off game, and the subsequent Michael Thomas, Aguero goal debate. I thought I’d start a thread on most memorable last minute winners.

Id do a poll but I don’t know how, and also I’m not sure on all the last minute winners!

For the record mines Solskjær‘a for Man U in the European cup final. 

So what’s your most memorable last minute winner......go!!!

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sith Happens
10 minutes ago, rustylee said:

David Jones free kick beating Mark Crossley at his near post 2006/7

Sheffield Weds?

Yeah it was Sheffield Wednesday I just recall that game as Crossley had been time wasting for the entire game but the ref put up something stupid like two or three minutes added time when it should have been much more felt like justice had been done when we got the winner.

Sith Happens
8 minutes ago, rustylee said:

Yeah it was Sheffield Wednesday I just recall that game as Crossley had been time wasting for the entire game but the ref put up something stupid like two or three minutes added time when it should have been much more felt like justice had been done when we got the winner.

Yeah remember it well. One thing we did do well under Billy was keep going.

I have a love/hate relationship with last minute winners.

Nothing beats when your team score one, but there is nothing worse than being on the receiving end.

The good:

Diawara (Napoli v Chievo, April 2018)

It was on the day of my 28th birthday and instead of having a party, I decided I wanted to go to the San Paolo with the boys.

At the time, we were gunning for our first Scudetto in 28 years and we were into the final stretch of the season, so every game felt incredibly decisive. Working as teachers in Naples, we were living and breathing every step.

We had battered Chievo for the whole game  - wasted numerous chances and even missed a penalty - and Chievo scored totally against the run of play on the counter attack and with it, the title race looked done and dusted.

But then the boys in blue staged a remarkable comeback with two goals in four minutes to rescue the game and our title hopes.

The outpouring of emotion and the atmosphere in the stadium when Diawara’s shot cracks the net. Incredible.

Koulibaly (Juventus v Napoli, April 2018)

Two weeks later, Napoli went to Turin knowing that if they lost, the title race would be all but over as Juventus would have a seven point lead with four games to play.

Since residents of Campania were unable to get tickets, going to Turin was impossible. So we settled on watching it on TV at our boss’ house with her son Alessandro.

No-one gave Napoli a chance, to be honest. We were all expecting Juventus to grind out a result. But actually they were really poor.

Still it was so tense as we all knew that a draw wouldn’t really be enough.

The clock is ticking down and Napoli get a corner. Callejon floats in it and Koulibaly rises and plants a beautiful header past Buffon.

The celebrations were incredible. The whole city felt this was it. So much so that thousands of people - at least 10,000 - greeted the team at the airport on their return.

The bad:

Higuain (Inter v Juventus, April 2018)

The following week, Juventus travelled to Milan to face Inter in the Derby d’Italia.

Everyone was desperate for an Inter win. The bars in Naples were packed with fans nervously watching on.

A win for Inter or a draw and Napoli could take top spot with just three games to go.

It was a thrilling game for the neutral. Juventus took the lead and Inter had a man sent off inside the first 20 minutes. Inter have to play over 70 minutes with 10 men and trailing. To make matters worse, Pjanic avoids a second booking and stays on.

Led by Perisic and Icardi, Inter pull off a crazy   fightback to lead 2-1 and as the game enters the last five minutes, everyone in Naples is dancing on tables, once again believing this is it!

Juventus score two in the space of three minutes to win the game and go four points clear, with Higuain of all people grabbing the winner.

Watching on, Napoli - the team and the city - never recovered. The following day Napoli went to Fiorentina and implode - losing 3-0.

Horta (Braga v Porto, League Cup final, January 2020)

I went to see Porto play Braga in this season’s League Cup final and Braga scored with virtually the last kick of the game deep into stoppage time to win the final. Awful.

Interestingly, it was also at Braga’s home stadium. Can you imagine that? A domestic cup final at your own stadium.

Because of the open nature of the stadium, I could hear the celebrations of the 10,000 Braga fans and the booming voice of the PA announcer as I tried to find my way back to the centre in the darkness of the night. Sickening.

Who’s this Thomas fella? Who did he play for?

I don’t think I will ever forget Aguero’s... Barton’s red, QPR going 2-1 up, Man Utd thinking they’d won the title when their game ended, Man City levelling deep into injury time and Aguero finding space for a poo even deeper into injury time. A fantastic game and fantastic moment for the neutral.

Archived