Rate the last film you saw partie deux

Ovis aries

Watched The Empire of Light at the Quad on Saturday.

Some great acting, a film written as a love letter to cinema, two tone music and the early 80s but also dealing with racism, relationships and mental health issues.

It's a good film, but tries to take on too many issues to be a great film.

Useful Utility player

Steve Powell / 10

I watched "Persian Lessons" on BBC I-Player last week. A foreign language film with subtitles which starts in 1942, it's about a young Jewish man from Antwerp who lies in order to escape an SS Death Squad and is sent to a concentration camp. Can he sustain the lie long enough to survive? 

Given the ingenious ways that some people managed to survive the Holocaust, it's worth suspending belief to watch it because it's well done and ultimately quite moving. 7/10

Laal Singh Chaddha - Netflix

You know when you're round at friends and they put a film on that you just know you're going to hate?!

Well, I was round at Bob's this weekend and he said he was getting into Bollywood films and insisted we watch this Indian re-make of Forrest Gump. I then thought at least I can have a nap.

Very good actually. Well made, funny and charming. 7/10

Seven Pounds (Will Smith, Rosario Dawson)

This film was utterly panned by the critics when it came out about 15 or so years ago, yet consistently got good audience ratings.

I watched it tonight and really enjoyed it, so it's a good job I never sought employment as a film critic.

Peter Stone / 10.

9 hours ago, Eddie said:

Seven Pounds (Will Smith, Rosario Dawson)

This film was utterly panned by the critics when it came out about 15 or so years ago, yet consistently got good audience ratings.

I watched it tonight and really enjoyed it, so it's a good job I never sought employment as a film critic.

Peter Stone / 10.

Peter Stone? What position did he play? ?

41 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Peter Stone? What position did he play? ?

I was waiting for that.

Peter is my cousin. He played for (and captained) Derby reserves in the mid to late 1960's as a centre-half, and was tipped for great things - then we signed Roy McFarland. He never made the first team, and was transfer-listed. He had a choice of signing for Chesterfield or continuing his studies. He chose the latter.

7 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I was waiting for that.

Peter is my cousin. He played for (and captained) Derby reserves in the mid to late 1960's as a centre-half, and was tipped for great things - then we signed Roy McFarland. He never made the first team, and was transfer-listed. He had a choice of signing for Chesterfield or continuing his studies. He chose the latter.

I think it was a case of the emperor’s new clothes. Other folk may have feared ridicule if they said they’d never heard of him. ?

4 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

I think it was a case of the emperor’s new clothes. Other folk may have feared ridicule if they said they’d never heard of him. ?

The point I was making (in my mind, and I didn't really expect anybody to understand my 'old man waffle') was that, when I was young, Peter was my hero (the only professional footballer in the family - AND he played for the Supreme Team), and I really couldn't believe that others (who, because of their direct involvement in the game, obviously knew far more than me about football) didn't rate him as 'good enough'.

Not sleeping at all at the moment so have been watching a few films from the not too distant past to while away the early hours. Last night's final fare was Pan's Labyrinth. I'm sure most will have seen it, but if not, please do as it remains, for me at least, Guillermo del Toro's finest work. A wondrous, beautiful and occasionally visceral modern fairytale, that's as captivating now as it was at time of release. Highly recommended.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0457430/

9/10 

On 02/02/2023 at 17:54, 86 Hair Islands said:

Not sleeping at all at the moment so have been watching a few films from the not too distant past to while away the early hours. Last night's final fare was Pan's Labyrinth. I'm sure most will have seen it, but if not, please do as it remains, for me at least, Guillermo del Toro's finest work. A wondrous, beautiful and occasionally visceral modern fairytale, that's as captivating now as it was at time of release. Highly recommended.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0457430/

9/10 

One of my top 5 films. Wonderful mix of gritty drama and fantasy with amazing GdT visuals.

Nope

Jordan Peele film about strange goings-on at a California horse training ranch.

I prefered this to Peele's "US" but not as much as the wonderful "Get Out".

Some really effective tension building and weirdness but felt it lost a bit of this after the reveal and felt like a strangely low key finale IMO.

Still a good 7/10 though

Edited by Wolfie

Witney Houston: I Wanna Dance with Somebody - not a film I would normally be drawn to as I don't own any of her records and never will. That said, I've always conceded that she was probably the greatest vocalist of her generation. Can't say I knew too much about her life either, save for the stuff the tabloids leapt on and obviously, her untimely death. FWIW, I think Naomi Ackie is startlingly good in the lead role and actually sings herself at some points in the film. Indeed she sings so well I had to check which parts they were. Won't say too much more other than it's definitely worth a look and is thankfully not as harrowing a watch as I thought it might be.

37 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Pitch Black for me. Hated 'Chronicles of Riddick'

So did most people, hence my guilty pleasure.

Pitch Black was a great film. Chronicles was like they decided to go in a whole new direction.......and then dumped that idea again for Riddick.

Men (Prime Video)

A young woman (Jessie Buckley) goes on a solo holiday to the English countryside following the death of her husband. There, she meets a strange assortment of men - all played by Rory Kinnear.

Good grief. Seriously weird.

If you like David Cronenberg style body horror, then the second half of this one will be right up your street.....also if you've ever wondered what Rory Kinnear's willy looks like.

So glad I didn't save this for the weekend's viewing with Mrs Wolfie - 6/10