Rate the last film you saw partie deux

Ovis aries

12 hours ago, Eddie said:

A Man Called Otto

Perhaps it's time for me to have a break from 'Bad Science' and 'Bad Santas' for a while, so I've just armed myself with a nice Tripel and watched Tom Hanks in this emotional rollercoaster. 

I laughed, I cried, I had a second beer. I absolutely loved this film. Tom Hanks is amongst my favourite actors alongside Jack Nicholson, Morgan Freeman and Clint Eastwood. Perhaps it's because I found myself identifying with grumpy old Otto (apart from the 'attempting suicide' bit).

It's not a bad adaptation, but I would also recommend reading the book it's based on "A Man Called Ove" by Frederik Backman, which is superb. I'm not sure whether the Swedish film version matches it either.

On 15/10/2024 at 14:55, Eddie said:

Violent Night

First Christmas movie of the year.

a jaded and disillusioned Santa Claus (David Harbour) finds himself in the wrong place at the wrong time. His reindeer have apparently headed back to the North Pole, and Santa has just found the 'good stuff' which he finds preferable to the usual glass of milk.

Speaking of 'wrong place at the wrong time', that could be said for the crooks and mercenaries who turn up, expecting an easy and profitable heist. They reckon without Santa's sledgehammer and Trudy (Leah Brady) who most definitely watched 'Home Alone'.

Well worth watching.

8.5/10

Christmas film in October.

Banworthy, in my eyes.

Great film though. Doesn't overpromise.

The Outfit.

Mark Rylance plays a tailor in post war Chicago, whose outfitters becomes the hub of mob activity over one night.

Full of twists and turns, despite being set entirely within the confines of a tailors, it’s yet another example of Rylances incredible skill drawing the viewer in and captivating his audience.

Gabbiadini/10, available on iPlayer until Monday.

8 hours ago, Rev said:

The Outfit.

Mark Rylance plays a tailor in post war Chicago, whose outfitters becomes the hub of mob activity over one night.

Full of twists and turns, despite being set entirely within the confines of a tailors, it’s yet another example of Rylances incredible skill drawing the viewer in and captivating his audience.

Gabbiadini/10, available on iPlayer until Monday.

+1 for that one. 

The Thicket.

Western set in late nineteenth century (there are rudimentary cars) and starring Peter Dinklage and Juliette Lewis. 

Dinklage is persuaded to help look for a young man‘a sister after she is kidnapped by Cut Throat Bill, played by Lewis, as a scarred (physically and mentally) outlaw complete with dopey gang.

Bill seems quite taken with her hostage but is also unpredictable and ruthless.

I don’t have much patience for films but I made it to the end.

Lewis plays her role with relish.

23 hours ago, Crewton said:

It's not a bad adaptation, but I would also recommend reading the book it's based on "A Man Called Ove" by Frederik Backman, which is superb. I'm not sure whether the Swedish film version matches it either.

Thanks. I still have a Waterstones voucher - that gives me an excuse to go to Nottingham and have a couple of beers at the Kilpin.

Memory

I found this to be quite an uncomfortable watch, as it covers an area which is familiar to me - Early Onset Dementia.

Liam Neeson carries it off pretty well, but the whole 'writing notes on his forearm' bit reminded me too much of Rimmer taking his astro-navigation examination on Red Dwarf, writing 'I am a fish' 100 times and then fainting.

On 15/10/2024 at 14:55, Eddie said:

Violent Night

First Christmas movie of the year.

a jaded and disillusioned Santa Claus (David Harbour) finds himself in the wrong place at the wrong time. His reindeer have apparently headed back to the North Pole, and Santa has just found the 'good stuff' which he finds preferable to the usual glass of milk.

Speaking of 'wrong place at the wrong time', that could be said for the crooks and mercenaries who turn up, expecting an easy and profitable heist. They reckon without Santa's sledgehammer and Trudy (Leah Brady) who most definitely watched 'Home Alone'.

Well worth watching.

8.5/10

We saw this for the first time last Christmas and loved it.

It's got a very comic slapstick approach to the violence & gore that reminded me of Ready or Not, which is also great.

The Good Liar

Helen Mirren and Ian McKellen star in this somewhat subdued 'con which goes very badly wrong' film.

To tell the truth, the stars rescue a rather dreary film with scintillating performances worthy of a better plot.

5/10

Sadie Frost has made a 90 minute documentary about Twiggy, simply called Twiggy, that premiered at the London Film Festival and will be released next year. 

Mrs Sagan was keen we go, and it was largely what I expected, but a bit better, and evoked memories of more fun times. 

Jeff Bourne/10

IMG_20241018_201136687.thumb.jpg.bc6658105f9135b86f2bd1378fe2ccd3.jpg

On 17/10/2024 at 01:55, Eddie said:

A Man Called Otto

Perhaps it's time for me to have a break from 'Bad Science' and 'Bad Santas' for a while, so I've just armed myself with a nice Tripel and watched Tom Hanks in this emotional rollercoaster. 

I laughed, I cried, I had a second beer. I absolutely loved this film. Tom Hanks is amongst my favourite actors alongside Jack Nicholson, Morgan Freeman and Clint Eastwood. Perhaps it's because I found myself identifying with grumpy old Otto (apart from the 'attempting suicide' bit).

Loved it too. And before @DarkFruitsRam7 pipes upt to tell us there's a Scandiwegian version that his mate said is way better, I've watched it and it's not. Not even close. So there. With bells on it.