New Derby trains in London Town

Carl Sagan

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Trains a train isn’t it? Just a thing on wheels that takes people who can afford it up and down the country.

Bit like buses but on rails.

Can’t understand the fascination in them myself ??‍♂️

1 minute ago, David said:

Trains a train isn’t it? Just a thing on wheels that takes people who can afford it up and down the country.

Buses look better too, at least in the UK.

I'd be totally on board if all trains either looked like they did the 1800s/early 1900s or the bullet train in Japan - but in reality most look like really long portaloos.

Complete side note here, but the Londonist really winds me up. It's doubly annoying that many of their articles have a genuinely interesting subject matter. Who starts a headline with 'WOOOO!"? The first line - *shiny new trains alert*.

Not criticising the writer, but rather the audience - there's a lot of vacuous London proffesional-types who conflate informality and Americanisms with having a personality.

But yeah, trains are cool!

Looks like they're using them on the line I commute to work on (Chingford to Liverpool street). 

Tbf, they already use them on the Gospel Oak overground line and have been for several months.

I'll get some numbers for Boycie's collection. That's how it works right?

11 hours ago, David said:

Trains are wonderful.

The first time ordinary working people could visit the seaside was because of trains.

Day trips to Rhyl, Llandudno, Skeggy etc were possible for my parents generation because of trains. There's anecdotal evidence that paid holidays became more of a thing as people realised they could do something with time off work other than go t pub or tend yer vegetables (not a euphemism) ?

You are obviously too young to have enjoyed a Ramaway Football Special train to away games...once you'd got used to being sprayed with warm Double Diamond bitter and covered in ash from countless John Player No 6 cigarettes, there was no finer way to travel.

Respect the train?

6 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

Trains are wonderful.

The first time ordinary working people could visit the seaside was because of trains.

Day trips to Rhyl, Llandudno, Skeggy etc were possible for my parents generation because of trains. There's anecdotal evidence that paid holidays became more of a thing as people realised they could do something with time off work other than go t pub or tend yer vegetables (not a euphemism) ?

You are obviously too young to have enjoyed a Ramaway Football Special train to away games...once you'd got used to being sprayed with warm Double Diamond bitter and covered in ash from countless John Player No 6 cigarettes, there was no finer way to travel.

Respect the train?

Not very good at fishing are you?

6 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

Trains are wonderful.

Respect the train?

When I started going away (latter '70's) I just had time to "acclimatise" to using the Ramaway (fantastic, once you knew what to expect! LOL!)  then they brought in those bright yellow "award winning Kinch coaches", and the excitement seemed to drop a few levels... although the timing did coincide with a downturn on the pitch too.
I ended up going on private hire coaches, through a Normanton pub called the Mafeking.  We named the coach "The Mafaway", in honour of the late great train!  Happy Days!  

10 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

When I started going away (latter '70's) I just had time to "acclimatise" to using the Ramaway (fantastic, once you knew what to expect! LOL!)  then they brought in those bright yellow "award winning Kinch coaches", and the excitement seemed to drop a few levels... although the timing did coincide with a downturn on the pitch too.
I ended up going on private hire coaches, through a Normanton pub called the Mafeking.  We named the coach "The Mafaway", in honour of the late great train!  Happy Days!  

Bit of a boering tale tbh.....?

Archived