Coronavirus

1of4

5 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Its all gone very quiet on the NHS over here, very strange given that it was 2 weeks from collapse for about 8 weeks.

Does that mean you think the NHS, the Tory Government, Labour and almost every ducker in a position of power that allows them to access rucial data was either lying or exaggerating?

I cannot think of any other reason you'd find it strange.

And that's if it actually had gone quiet, which it hasn't if you were paying attention.

Only 2 days ago Matt Hancock was talking about the immense pressure the NHS is still under and yesterday Johnson said it was too soon to discuss whether lockdown would end in Spring or Summer.

Hm, I wonder why that may be, unless of course, he's looking to bankrupt more businesses for the fun of it.

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Bob The Badger said:

Does that mean you think the NHS, the Tory Government, Labour and almost every ducker in a position of power that allows them to access rucial data was either lying or exaggerating?

And that's if it actually had gone quiet, which it hasn't if you were paying attention.

Only 2 days ago Matt Hancock was talking about the immense pressure the NHS is still under and yesterday Johnson said it was too soon to discuss whether lockdown would end in Spring or Summer.

Hm, I wonder why that may be, unless of course, he's looking to bankrupt more businesses for the fun of it.

Apparently in the latest article of openthepubswearecovidfree.com it has the latest government figures, not available to the public,  that say the NHS is not under any additional workload that it would be to this time last year....

1 hour ago, Sith Happens said:

Agree,  but I think calls to remain in lockdown until diagnosed cases (not deaths) drops to the hundreds a day as has been called for by Jeremy hunt and Chris Chris Hopson are wrong (imo). 

Deaths and hospitalisations are the key measure and if the vaccines are working as intended then deaths could feasibly be at levels like they were in july and August but a couple of thousand a day still getting a mild version of the virus.

Surely we have to start seeing some effect from the vaccine on deaths in the coming weeks. 

20th (I think) sounds as though the date they will have enough data to start lifting those lockdowns. As you say, once the key numbers confirm that downward trend with no visible road bumps, hopefully we will start to see the country start to return to normal from March 8.

2 hours ago, Archied said:

Then it s very difficult to see any light at the end of the tunnel ??‍♂️

Not really, you just have to make sure your better prepared than previously. The light at the end of the tunnel is therefore all to see, just need to make sure nothing jumps out the dark that you aren't prepared for...once bitten and all that.

They said that vaccinating the vulnerable would get rid of 99% of the deaths, if that’s still the case then Lockdown should be lifted completely as soon as the 15m or so are vaccinated. The whole idea of lockdown was to protect the vulnerable from getting seriously ill, one they’re protected closing business’s and making people put they’re lives on hold cannot be justified for what would essentially be a severe cold.

32 minutes ago, BIllyD said:

Not really, you just have to make sure your better prepared than previously. The light at the end of the tunnel is therefore all to see, just need to make sure nothing jumps out the dark that you aren't prepared for...once bitten and all that.

Personally not seeing any light at the end of the tunnel or at least light that doesn’t keep getting further and further away every time we are supposed to be getting there , what we have now is not living , it’s not life it’s just existing , I’m earning a living ( that’s it ) so duck knows what it’s like for the millions who aren’t and have lost or are losing everything from work , health and mental health ,

we really are reaching a point ( certainly with vaccines administered) where lockdowns need to be stopped and those calling for them to remain really need to examine whether it’s now them that are the selfish ,because there are a hell of a lot that are sitting pretty through this and lock down on balance has it’s plus s 

16 minutes ago, Archied said:

Personally not seeing any light at the end of the tunnel or at least light that doesn’t keep getting further and further away every time we are supposed to be getting there , what we have now is not living , it’s not life it’s just existing , I’m earning a living ( that’s it ) so duck knows what it’s like for the millions who aren’t and have lost or are losing everything from work , health and mental health ,

we really are reaching a point ( certainly with vaccines administered) where lockdowns need to be stopped and those calling for them to remain really need to examine whether it’s now them that are the selfish ,because there are a hell of a lot that are sitting pretty through this and lock down on balance has it’s plus s 

Who is calling for more lockdowns ??

2 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

Yes I think they were exaggerating and there was never any danger of the NHS collapsing. 

It comes under strain every winter and surgeries get cancelled. 

Was it under pressure? Yes.

Was it 2 weeks from collapse as was being claimed? Absolutely no chance. 

18 hours ago, Albert said:

Depends on whether the gamble with delaying the second jab pays off. Let's hope it does. Sadly, at this time less than 1% of the UK's population has received that second jab. 

Looks like the 'gamble' has paid off.

32 minutes ago, maxjam said:

Looks like the 'gamble' has paid off.

Great news.

Looks like the Government may slightly redeem their awful handling of this pandemic.

Also interesting to see that the WHO are advising we start giving the vaccine away once all over 50s are vaccinated.

Not sure if it would be a good idea to give away the vaccine if its still not safe to open up here.

Perhaps they haven't yet noted that this issue has already been dealt with on this forum. 

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

Yes I think they were exaggerating and there was never any danger of the NHS collapsing. 

It comes under strain every winter and surgeries get cancelled. 

Was it under pressure? Yes.

Was it 2 weeks from collapse as was being claimed? Absolutely no chance. 

It's so tricky to decide who to believe

1) the people who have access to the official figures and projections, and a real time consolidated view of the current situation - as well as being the ones being culpable if it does collapse

or

2) some bloke on a local football forum who believes anything he hears on Talk Radio

Speaking of which - it's all gone a bit wrong for our favourite quack Michael Yeadon hasn't it?

5 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

It's so tricky to decide who to believe

1) the people who have access to the official figures and projections, and a real time consolidated view of the current situation - as well as being the ones being culpable if it does collapse

or

2) some bloke on a local football forum who believes anything he hears on Talk Radio

Speaking of which - it's all gone a bit wrong for our favourite quack Michael Yeadon hasn't it?

Care to show me these official figures with comparisons to previous years?

Just wondering at what point you started believing everything the Government said?

You are on of the main culprits for spending the last 4 years telling us that everything they say is a lie and everything they do is for their own and their donors benefit.

I've just read that the BoE has warned lenders to start preparing themselves for negative interest rates in a few months time.

Would be curious to know how people with savings are going to spend their cash to revitalise the economy if the country if still in lockdown or see sawing between partial and full lockdowns. 

Perhaps we're meant to stuff our savings under the mattress who knows. 

15 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

I've just read that the BoE has warned lenders to start preparing themselves for negative interest rates in a few months time.

Would be curious to know how people with savings are going to spend their cash to revitalise the economy if the country if still in lockdown or see sawing between partial and full lockdowns. 

Perhaps we're meant to stuff our savings under the mattress who knows. 

Going to be fascinating to see what happens if they do go negative. Saving interest is so low at the moment that it wouldn't make a huge amount of difference if you were losing a bit rather than earning basically nothing. But psychological impact of losing money could be huge.

Perhaps banks will decide to keep rate at least 0% so people don't withdraw anything. Anyone keeping money in a savings account at the moment though is not really paying attention.

On the other hand, would banks possibly start paying people interest on a mortgage? My tracker mortgage is linked to base rate so could presumably drop to below zero. 

30 minutes ago, BIllyD said:

Once again, who ? Difficult to comment without knowing the specifics you are talking about.

There’s plenty of noise s comming from official side of lockdown remaining or being replaced by tiers again ,restrictions remaining , mr leg over Ferguson screaming fourth wave , just call it a premonition if you like , 

my impression of your first reply on the subject was you were in no rush to get out of this lockdown , which of course is your prerogative 

3 hours ago, QuitYourJibbaJivin said:

They said that vaccinating the vulnerable would get rid of 99% of the deaths, if that’s still the case then Lockdown should be lifted completely as soon as the 15m or so are vaccinated. The whole idea of lockdown was to protect the vulnerable from getting seriously ill, one they’re protected closing business’s and making people put they’re lives on hold cannot be justified for what would essentially be a severe cold.

The vaccination programme is designed to protecting everyone starting with the most vulnerable.

The lockdown is also intended to protect the NHS. It’s not just the vulnerable that are being hospitalised. It can be a bit more serious than just a severe cold for some. So, vaccination of the vulnerable is not the only measure that needs to be considered before they can start to lift the lockdown.

Just now, Archied said:

There’s plenty of noise s comming from official side of lockdown remaining or being replaced by tiers again ,restrictions remaining , mr leg over Ferguson screaming fourth wave , just call it a premonition if you like , 

my impression of your first reply on the subject was you were in no rush to get out of this lockdown , which of course is your prerogative 

Maybe worth reading what I actually wrote then, believe it or not, your not the only person who is desperate for this lockdown to finish.

Some of us however recognise that it has to be done in a way to ensure that we never have another lockdown again.

Everything I hear is also that everyone is also as keen to get out of lockdown, just seems like you want it done yesterday, which isn't going to happen.

Archived