Coronavirus

1of4

Pubs and restaurants closing now in central Scotland and also Alcohol sale restrictions. Crazy, crazy decisions, alternative motivations maybe? I hope we don’t see the same down here.  

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Online lectures are better than not turning up to in person lectures. I'm not sure about you, but from my own personal experience, I know I would have performed better if I could have attended online lectures rather than missing them because:
a) I was too lazy
b) it was too cold to walk so far
c) I was too tired/hungover 
d) I didn't like the lecturer and/or felt the lecture content wasn't worthwhile
e) illness 

I know I wasn't a one off. A BBC article from a couple of years ago stated average attendance of lectures at the start of term was 79%, dropping to 43% at the end of term. I think there's a strong possibility a lot of students would have performed better if online learning was an option at the time

Depends on the course I guess.  Not sure I'd want a surgeon operating on me that had taken their course online ?

Jimmy Krankie has put a curfew on pubs and restaurants shutting at 6pm. Wouldnt be surprised if the rest of the UK followed. It's a real shame that the general public muppets in this country can't a grip of the social distancing rules. And we wonder why countries like Germany are letting people back into stadiums. Unfortunately many people just dont get it. And it's not just the lager louts either.

Went out for a Sunday dinner for the first time in months and many parents were letting the kids run riot. It was absolutely shocking. We seem to think it's either the Friday night crew or students who seem to be the main culprits, sadly it's everybody!

It's a horrible mixture of poor guidance from the top dogs in charge, no authority from businesses to tell people off for not following the rules, and the public who don't give two poops about anybody other than themselves.

My positively is being challenged daily.

How much more evidence and data do we need that this is all a complete over reaction. Every day there is more and more pointing to this is now something that can be dealt with outside of crazy restrictions. 

8 minutes ago, SouthStandDan said:

Jimmy Krankie has put a curfew on pubs and restaurants shutting at 6pm. Wouldnt be surprised if the rest of the UK followed. It's a real shame that the general public muppets in this country can't a grip of the social distancing rules. And we wonder why countries like Germany are letting people back into stadiums. Unfortunately many people just dont get it. And it's not just the lager louts either.

Went out for a Sunday dinner for the first time in months and many parents were letting the kids run riot. It was absolutely shocking. We seem to think it's either the Friday night crew or students who seem to be the main culprits, sadly it's everybody!

It's a horrible mixture of poor guidance from the top dogs in charge, no authority from businesses to tell people off for not following the rules, and the public who don't give two poops about anybody other than themselves.

My positively is being challenged daily.

Everyone's the problem but me. 

7 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

How much more evidence and data do we need that this is all a complete over reaction. Every day there is more and more pointing to this is now something that can be dealt with outside of crazy restrictions. 

What a poo graph. The scope of testing has steadily increased so it's absolutely no surprise that graph is what it is.

5 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

What a poo graph. The scope of testing has steadily increased so it's absolutely no surprise that graph is what it is.

Argue with the DR not me

Don’t think we will have any accurate info on the effects of the 10pm curfew until there is a decline in the amount of student cases. That’s the demographic it was always going to rise in at this time and there’s not an awful lot you can really do about it. Surely to see the data clearly you need any external factors (in this case, a large group of people moving across the country) to not have any influence over the figures. 

So it may be 2-3 weeks at a minimum before we can really see any consistent data. So you know, calm down?

15 minutes ago, maxjam said:

?

Certainly interesting but to claim South Dakota as a "control" (which I know is not you saying that, but this Twitter fella) is a bit of a stretch. It's one of the least populated states, mostly rural and it only has one large city (I say "large" but it's considerably smaller than Derby!).

The approach made sense for them and obviously worked, but wouldn't have worked in larger states with massive populations and huge cities

3 hours ago, Andicis said:

It's making the pubs more crowded though. Young people and older people used to go out at different times, I've never seen the pubs so busy as since the 10pm rule has come in. The pubs also are controlling people, when they go outside, nobody is. People just drink earlier, they don't drink less. They've solved nothing and created more problems, so how is this common sense? 

That isn’t quite correct though about pubs being busier is it. Everything is now table service which suggests that the capacity is only the same as the socially distanced tables. 

The common sense is that it allows the hospitality industry to trade and save some jobs, while keeping the stupid ones under a bit more control than they were previously. 

40 minutes ago, bcnram said:

That isn’t quite correct though about pubs being busier is it. Everything is now table service which suggests that the capacity is only the same as the socially distanced tables. 

The common sense is that it allows the hospitality industry to trade and save some jobs, while keeping the stupid ones under a bit more control than they were previously. 

Yeah, and the tables are all full which I hadn't seen before since before March. The capacity didn't change, but everywhere is more full up in Sheffield at least.

7 hours ago, maxjam said:

I've got no desire to spend all day arguing semantics with you again.  Neither can be bothered to argue the 'very transparent strawman' that I have apparently constructed.  Furthermore I am not appealing to authority, merely putting forwards the argument that there is increasing opposition to the lockdown narrative that we have been fed.

So you don't contest any of the criticism of your argument. Fair enough. 

As to it being an appeal to authority, it literally is. You're not discussing the basis of Prof. Gupta's argument, you're just saying 'well, they're saying it'. The thing is, Prof. Gupta and the others have been arguing this from the start, there's no evidence of 'increasing opposition' academically. It's just the same people trying to get more exposure, and praying on the same market that Trump is stirring up at the moment. 

I'm not sure that I will be able to enlighten you as to what I actually meant however as I find you're argument to be very dismissive of points you disagree with, which I guess is your right.

I 'dismissive' of points that have no backing. I couldn't really care less if I 'disagree' with them, as the yard stick I like to stick with are arguments that can be backed with something more solid than vague handwaving. 

Although I didn't ignore examples that you gave.  I replied to arguments about Australia, New Zealand, Vietnam and Thailand iirc.  Vietnam in particular backs up my argument just as much as it does yours - different economy, differing volume of visitors, massively different way of life which led to their better response etc.  But I guess my interpretation of things is wrong so I'll leave it here for today.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-53690711

This is called an ad hoc argument. You're not tackling the examples given together, rather tackling them separately, and for separate reasons. The point isn't that each individually achieved it, but that they've all done so, through different means, despite vast differences between the countries. There are others too of course, but these are arguably the most successful. 

If you really want to get into 'the UK has more travel', etc., then the place to talk about would be China, but there's a lot of controversy around how forthcoming they've been with their data as a whole. There's plenty of others though.

Again though, getting past all that, at the very least you can surely agree that the UK's response hasn't been great overall, and managed to find this weird middle ground of both damaging the economy, and not protecting lives effectively. This would imply that a change in strategy is needed, whichever way that happens to go. 

7 hours ago, TexasRam said:

I think know as much as you and as much as every other everyday joe 

This is seriously the only response you can muster? 

Archived