Coronavirus

1of4

4 minutes ago, Andicis said:

So they showed us a random exponential graph that was never going to come to pass for essentially no reason then? 

I wouldn’t bother debating with them pal, the bloke apparently worked in a lab for a bit and now calls himself a scientist. 

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Eddie said:

So? Australia is warmer, Britain is wetter.

From the report;

High temperature and high humidity reduce the transmission of others infections of the respiratory tract, like influenza and of SARS coronavirus. The main reasons are: the virus is more stable in cold temperatures, and respiratory droplets, as containers of viruses, remain in suspension longer in dry air. Cold and dry weather can also demote the hosts’ immunity and make them more susceptible to the virus.

According to Oliveiros et al., temperature and humidity contribute to a maximum of 18% of the variation, the remaining 82% being related to other factors such as containment measures, general health policies, population density, transportation, and cultural aspects. Population migration is another key factor in the spread process that cannot be ignored as well as community structure, social dynamics, and global connectivity. In cities with higher levels of population density, the virus is expected to spread faster than that in less crowded cities

As I've mentioned in previous posts comparing country A to country B is borderline meaningless, there are a multitude of factors at play.  Climate plays a role, apparently 18% of a role - damn thats precise lol.  So do many other social and cultural factors.

26 minutes ago, Andicis said:

So they showed us a random exponential graph that was never going to come to pass for essentially no reason then? 

They showed what could be happening if nothing was done. The worst case scenario. To show why many of these measures are in place and why they are important.

It is not a prediction. There's countermeasures in place. Are they the right ones, that is open to debate.

I know it might feel like a lifetime away, but seeing the plight of students locked in, it looks to me that we did not learn much from the diamond princess trying to segregate people in confined spaces.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-54363068

so along those lines ...and thinking outside the box(only a little)...and borrowing ideas from Nasty Patel(oh dear)...how about all students are put on all those cruise ships moored by the shores of Britain to attend their online lectures ?

They could carry on with their education, party and no risk to the local community. 

2 hours ago, Andicis said:

Not really.

The problem was, it relied on intelligence to interpret the graph in context with what was being discussed.

1 hour ago, GboroRam said:

They showed what could be happening if nothing was done. The worst case scenario. To show why many of these measures are in place and why they are important.

It is not a prediction. There's countermeasures in place. Are they the right ones, that is open to debate.

If it was just for dramatisation then why not show it tripling or quadrupling, it’s was clearly a prediction to scare the populous into doing what they are told with zero scientific basis 

17 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

If it was just for dramatisation then why not show it tripling or quadrupling, it’s was clearly a prediction to scare the populous into doing what they are told with zero scientific basis 

It isn't just for dramatisation. 11 September the rate was estimated at doubling every 7-8 days. At that time the rule of 6 was brought in, along with other measures. 

The scenario was posted as what could have happened if nothing was done. Plenty was done, and that scenario didn't occur. But you know and understand this already. 

33 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

It isn't just for dramatisation. 11 September the rate was estimated at doubling every 7-8 days. At that time the rule of 6 was brought in, along with other measures. 

The scenario was posted as what could have happened if nothing was done. Plenty was done, and that scenario didn't occur. But you know and understand this already. 

You honestly think what was put in place has had that effect, I’m mean honestly? 

3 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

You honestly think what was put in place has had that effect, I’m mean honestly? 

I have no idea. Maybe. But I wasn't expecting it to double every 7 days as measures were tightened. 

I am concerned that rates are still rising. 

Imagine a someone at work tested positive for Covid, and someone who worked very closely with them knew the test result, but still came into work regardless. Their job also meant they were around member's of the public too.

That's what Trump did.

Cummings admitted doing a similar thing too (returning to work when his wife had clear symptoms) but the journos in the garden failed to pick up on this when questioning him.

Tremendous people. Definitely the sort of people you want in charge.

36 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

I have no idea. Maybe. But I wasn't expecting it to double every 7 days as measures were tightened. 

I am concerned that rates are still rising. 

I’m sure be alright 

4 minutes ago, jimmyp said:

The whole was it a prediction wasn’t it a prediction is becoming quite tiresome.

Here is the actual clip from start to finish.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-54234084

It's just completely bizarre.

He even says the graph is not a prediction (which it quite clearly is).

There was no mention of them not expecting it to happen due to the new measures in place.

Why not show a graph which shows cases going down to zero based on what could happen if everyone follows the guidance and we eradicate the virus?

It was really poor form and was nothing other than scare tactics.

Its time for them to step aside if they only have scaring the public as their best idea for getting cases down. 

13 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Imagine a someone at work tested positive for Covid, and someone who worked very closely with them knew the test result, but still came into work regardless. Their job also meant they were around member's of the public too.

That's what Trump did.

Cummings admitted doing a similar thing too (returning to work when his wife had clear symptoms) but the journos in the garden failed to pick up on this when questioning him.

Tremendous people. Definitely the sort of people you want in charge.

Fingers crossed that it isnt too bad and he can get back to losing the election as quickly as possible.

Archived