Coronavirus

1of4

I've had these weird secondary skin complaints that they are now seeing in some confirmed cases - the 'frostbitten toes' which look a cross between chilblains and bad sunburn, horrible skin rashes over other parts of my body and 4 weeks ago my legs exploded into micro-blisters which may or may not have been contact dermatitis to a topical cream I had been using for post-thrombotic syndrome without incident for 5 years. All I know was that they were agony, and bled as soon as you touched them. Two days later, my legs looked like Red Windsor Cheese (yes, there are pictures if anyone is interested, but I wouldn't post them on here - because I am under house-arrest, my consultation was via phone and email attachments so I had to photograph my legs to send to my GP).

Edit: I sent the photos, not my legs

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Eddie said:

I've had these weird secondary skin complaints that they are now seeing in some confirmed cases - the 'frostbitten toes' which look a cross between chilblains and bad sunburn, horrible skin rashes over other parts of my body and 4 weeks ago my legs exploded into micro-blisters which may or may not have been contact dermatitis to a topical cream I had been using for post-thrombotic syndrome without incident for 5 years. All I know was that they were agony, and bled as soon as you touched them. Two days later, my legs looked like Red Windsor Cheese (yes, there are pictures if anyone is interested, but I wouldn't post them on here - because I am under house-arrest, my consultation was via phone and email attachments so I had to photograph my legs to send to my GP).

Edit: I sent the photos, not my legs

Sounds like shingles.

28 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Sounds like shingles.

I've had shingles, and these blisters were unlike anything I had ever seen - they were tiny (less than a millimetre across) but thousands of them. They arrived over the space of an hour or two, and over the next day or two, the entire epidermis peeled away. Luckily, so did the pain, as soon as I applied a corticosteroid.

That's not to say it wasn't shingles - herpes zoster can be a nasty bugger. My first fear was necrotising fasciitis, but I think I've lost enough weight dieting without having my legs eating themselves away.

23 minutes ago, Van Gritters said:

I had the ten bob bits in February it knocked me for six. Proper eye of the needle stuff and sickness too. I think it might have been another kind of virus but you never know.

Mine was twice as bad.

Quid marks.

It's not all bad news.

My missus got to take part in a world record Zoom meeting today of 27000+ people.

During which, the head honcho spent a few minutes showing the workforce his arse while he picked something up off the floor.

10 minutes ago, B4ev6is said:

Good news some of these hobbile restinions being easied.

Greggs is reopening, and an extra hours exercise is going to allowed per day. Not sure if there is any correlation.

14 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Not sure if it has been asked in any of the daily briefings, or elsewhere, but assuming that the R rate is now say 0.5, how long would it take for the virus to completely disappear?

Don’t ask sensible questions...

14 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Not sure if it has been asked in any of the daily briefings, or elsewhere, but assuming that the R rate is now say 0.5, how long would it take for the virus to completely disappear?

It won't. Ever.

It's with us for the rest of human history. 

If we can get herd immunity (if that's possible) or a vaccine or vaccines, or a drug regime that works, we'll be fine, otherwise mortality rate will increase and we'll have to get used to it. 

@Eddie Having never suffered any Eczema in my life about 4-6 weeks ago I started getting micro blisters on my hands and feet. No pain with it and only minor irritation for itchiness.

Self diagnosed it on google as Pompholyx (dyshidrotic eczema). Virtual docs appointment confirmed it and prescribed various creams which have probably helped. It’s pretty much disappeared now with just the skin being a little flaky (although my big toe still looks messy). 

Apparently stress and sweating bring this thing on - fair to say that 4-6 weeks ago I was both stressed (and mental health was an issue) but I was also running 5 mile most days as well so sweating.

I’m confident I’ve not been anywhere near this thing - wife is great (and she have birth last week) although our 5-year old has been coughing for about six weeks which we believe to be hay fever related. Gets worse when we go outside and yesterday was really bad - on an evening walk I noticed Council had cut the grass on the area next to our house so that probably confirmed it. 

Fair to say though this current climate makes you ask lots of questions and can make you feel insecure about the smallest of things.

12 hours ago, RandomAccessMemory said:

Might be a silly question but wouldn't the number of people able to be infected change everything?

So IF theres immunity for any length of time then the people that have already had it within that time can't get it again wouldn't that limit the possible spread?

Yes - it would reduce the number of possible hosts in the overall population and by definition, the number of hosts a carrier could pass it on to.

3 minutes ago, rammieib said:

@Eddie Having never suffered any Eczema in my life about 4-6 weeks ago I started getting micro blisters on my hands and feet. No pain with it and only minor irritation for itchiness.

Self diagnosed it on google as Pompholyx (dyshidrotic eczema). Virtual docs appointment confirmed it and prescribed various creams which have probably helped. It’s pretty much disappeared now with just the skin being a little flaky (although my big toe still looks messy). 

Apparently stress and sweating bring this thing on - fair to say that 4-6 weeks ago I was both stressed (and mental health was an issue) but I was also running 5 mile most days as well so sweating.

I’m confident I’ve not been anywhere near this thing - wife is great (and she have birth last week) although our 5-year old has been coughing for about six weeks which we believe to be hay fever related. Gets worse when we go outside and yesterday was really bad - on an evening walk I noticed Council had cut the grass on the area next to our house so that probably confirmed it. 

Fair to say though this current climate makes you ask lots of questions and can make you feel insecure about the smallest of things.

Stress is very much my prime suspect too - but not fear for myself. It's the pressure I put on myself to maintain an air of cheerful optimism to try to allay my wife's fears.

Quick, throw away the papaya and for God's sake get that goat out of the yard

"In a live broadcast from his hometown of Chato in north-western Tanzania yesterday, Mr Magufuli revealed that he secretly commissioned testing of randomly collected non-human samples, which were assigned names and ages.

He said some samples taken from animals and fruits returned inconclusive results, some testing negative and others showing positive results.

“Vehicle oil for instance, labelled Jabir Hamza aged 30-years-old [male], tested negative. We sent a jackfruit sample which we named Sara Samweli, a 45-year-old female - the results were inconclusive. When we sent a papaya [paw-paw] sample and named it Elizabeth Anne, aged 26 years, that papaya was positive,” said Mr Magufuli.

He added that samples from a bird and a goat both tested positive, while one from a rabbit was found to be indeterminate."

https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-africa-47639452?ns_mchannel=social&ns_source=twitter&ns_campaign=bbc_live&ns_linkname=5eb00680c68e4706631e47e0&Tanzanian coronavirus laboratory boss suspended&2020-05-04T12:36:52.525Z&ns_fee=0&pinned_post_locator=urn:asset:416b68b2-e070-433c-a92f-88ab7ab0bc1d&pinned_post_asset_id=5eb00680c68e4706631e47e0&pinned_post_type=share

What to believe.....

The Wall Street Journal in the USA is demanding to continue the lockdown (its owned by Amazon owner Jeff Bezos who's personal worth has increased by $24b during the lockdown due to online sales)

or The Telegraph who are advocating an end to lockdown (the billionaire Barclay brothers who own the Telegraph have substantial business interests that would benefit from ending it plus they live on a private island so wouldn't catch it themselves).

?

1 hour ago, B4ev6is said:

Perhaps try go for a walk behaps some birds or birds of pray like sparrow hawks buzzards or even red kites something perhaps you and  wife might enjoy.

Unfortunately, B4, I am in the 'extremely vulnerable' group, and cannot leave the house for 12 weeks, even if the lockdown is ending.

Archived