Coronavirus

1of4

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, A Ram for All Seasons said:

It's hardly likely to be all manner of side effects, because they must be using established technology if they have made such good progress in such a short time. The main side effect is an allergic reaction, which can be very nasty.

After you.

The vaccine, called ChAdOx1 nCoV-19, is made from a harmless chimpanzee virus that has been genetically engineered to carry part of the coronavirus. The technique has already been shown to generate strong immune responses in other diseases.

53 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

Not my pic.  Not my fence.

Having said that, I jet washed my gravel boards a fortnight ago... being a bit heavy handed, the bottom 2 inches of my wooden fence panels do now need re-coating!  Doh!

Luckily, I still have a tub of it in the shed... it's on my To-Do list!  

after "Learn Portuguese".

4 minutes ago, maxjam said:

Couple of interesting stats re. covid-19 deaths...

With 14,500 total deaths, approx 1 in 5000 people across the UK have died.

With 56 NHS worker deaths out of 1.5 million NHS staff, 1 in 30,000 have died.

1 in 5000 seems high. 

9 minutes ago, maxjam said:

Couple of interesting stats re. covid-19 deaths...

With 14,500 total deaths, approx 1 in 5000 people across the UK have died.

With 56 NHS worker deaths out of 1.5 million NHS staff, 1 in 30,000 have died.

2 points:-

1 - The NHS will have very few, if any, employees over 65 and this disease is clearly more dangerous to older people

2 - However, with NHS staff working directly with Covid patients you would maybe expect this to cause an increase in their death numbers

2 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

1 - The NHS will have very few, if any, employees over 65 and this disease is clearly more dangerous to older people

2 - However, with NHS staff working directly with Covid patients you would maybe expect this to cause an increase in their death numbers

3. How many NHS staff normally die from diseases that they have contracted whilst working?

3 hours ago, TramRam said:

You brow beat the Government, Then appologise for your mistake ?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52333540

Just goes to show how easy it is.

I wonder how many people have been quoting this article to attack the Government.

I wonder if I ring them up and say that I'm just letting them know the NHS has got all the PPE it needs and there are no shortage, they will publish the article completely unchecked.

Just heard from a reliable source about an outbreak of coronavirus in a Derbyshire care home including one death. Includes a suggestion that the hospital are refusing to take one elderly resident with the virus. 

In my experience, anecdotally number 1 is probably not true. There are plenty still going at 70, even 75 in our hospital. We had a consultant who was 80 before he finally retired last year.

Probably about the same proportion of over 65's as in other industries.

9 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

5 minutes ago, richinspain said:

3. How many NHS staff normally die from diseases that they have contracted whilst working?

4.  How many of the NHS staff deaths also had existing poor health and/or were in rsik categories such as being heavy smokers/overweight.

I admit that broad stats are pretty useless by themselves but its still heartening to know that our our NHS aren't dying at greater numbers than the general public.

20 minutes ago, maxjam said:

4.  How many of the NHS staff deaths also had existing poor health and/or were in rsik categories such as being heavy smokers/overweight.

I admit that broad stats are pretty useless by themselves but its still heartening to know that our our NHS aren't dying at greater numbers than the general public.

That is obviously true. They could also have caught the disease whilst in their normal out of work activities, it's just that they have a much higher likelihood of contact.

Sith Happens
18 minutes ago, richinspain said:

That is obviously true. They could also have caught the disease whilst in their normal out of work activities, it's just that they have a much higher likelihood of contact.

very true.  I guess I until a few weeks ago they were doing the things the rest of us did like go to pubs etc.

This weekends narrative is pushing herd immunity back to the forefront. I completely agree with the logic and understand the U -turn the government took.

They didn't have enough time, feared the public/media backlash and were concerned that a smaller scale lockdown wouldn't be adhrered to. 

Almost all, bar a couple of million of people are at very low risk of mortality. Therefore the logical thing to do once the infrastructure was/is set in place, is for everyone else to go back to some semblance of normality. Mass gatherings still banned, etc, to prevent the NHS being overwhelmed. But for the vast majority of people to intentionally become infected whilst the most vunerable stay isolated. 

People have had time to adjust now. Open the country back up on May 7th and keep the most vunerable in isolation, indefinitely.

Sith Happens
2 minutes ago, Uptherams said:

This weekends narrative is pushing heard immunity back to the forefront. I completely agree with the logic and understand the U -turn the government took.

They didn't have enough time, feared the public/media backlash and were concerned that a smaller scale lockdown wouldn't be adhrered to. 

Almost all, bar a couple of million of people are at very low risk of mortality. Therefore the logical thing to do once the infrastructure was/is set in place, is for everyone else to go back to some semblance of normality. Mass gatherings still banned, etc, to prevent the NHS being overwhelmed. But for the vast majority of people to intentionally become infected whilst the most vunerable stay isolated. 

People have had time to adjust now. Open the country back up on May 7th and keep the most vunerable in isolation, indefinitely.

it's a tough one but we will have to at some point,  the intention I think was always to delay not stop the spread,  we should be out of flu season anytime now surely. 

the question is how you isolate vulnerable people when their families aren't vulnerable,  I am my wife isn't. I suspect many families will be similar.

Archived